Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35435060-E974-4451-BAC0-083052FEBFA3.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	444243

Day 1 on 188 Corvus

I have an embarrassing number of resort pow skis but I keep coming back to my 2021 Animas. What a great flipping ski, easy, maneuverable, floats well, trucks the heavy coastal snow in Whistler but has a surprisingly fun time on firm snow (not that I’d ever ski this as my first choice on icy days).

I get along with this thing far better than the Blanks, Rustlers, Hojis, Bacons, etc that I’ve tried. Highly recommended.

That’s the first good take I’ve heard about animas!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    That’s the first good take I’ve heard about animas!
    Maybe I’m just a shit skier, but I think it’s a great shape.

Were you hearing negative perspectives anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    thanks for the beta - super interesting to hear how people are getting on with them

The 108 to 105 move makes a ton of sense from a market segmenting move imho, as does making them more nimble and lively.
    Fwiw, my skins from my 2020 Atris work on my 2023 Atris…not a perfect guide but I don’t know if there’s even 3mm difference between the old version and new. like you say, might just be marketing to the “I don’t need that much ski” crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Fwiw, my skins from my 2020 Atris work on my 2023 Atris…not a perfect guide but I don’t know if there’s even 3mm difference between the old version and new. like you say, might just be marketing to the “I don’t need that much ski” crowd.
    Blister:
    new/v3: 137.2-103.9-121.8
    old/v2: 138.5-107.5-125.7

so some def some changes to the shape (and flex pattern), but not enough to need new skins (if perhaps ideally a slight re-trim).

Any new info on the new Nocta?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Maybe I’m just a shit skier, but I think it’s a great shape.

Were you hearing negative perspectives anywhere?
    In this thread! I haven't had a change to demo the new ones but the old ones loved to tip dive. Bit of a noodle.

Any new info on the new Nocta?
    Flex had decreased all through the skis, camber increased, slightly shorter listed lengths. Special edition offering as well with a non-chevron top sheet

Crossposting this because ptex has some killer deals.

Quote Originally Posted by ptex1 View Post
    THE crows arent flying out my doors so hoping the mags can help me out . Email me at theskishop@gmail.com if interested, I dont have time to come on here and answer. all ski are brand new in the plastic this years models.

Camox Freebird 164,171,178,183,188 - 435.00 shipped
    Navis freebird 167,173,179,185 465.00 shipped
    Corvus freebird 183, 188 515.00 shipped

serpo 168, 174, 180 465.00 shipped
    justis 171,177,183 550.00 shipped

atris 172,178,181 465.00 shipped
    atris birdie 160,166,172 465.00 shipped

In this thread! I haven't had a change to demo the new ones but the old ones loved to tip dive. Bit of a noodle.
    Interesting, I missed that.

I’m not a big guy on the 188’s - so maybe that’s bumped up the soft snow performance for me? The new shape has a more pronounced tip, I’ve found no issues getting them to plane up. We get a lot of wet, heavy snow in Whistler too - so I usually find I sit higher in the snow when compared to the interior’s pack.

Would I want something wider (120 or more underfoot?) if there’s 50+ cm of fresh? Probably, and I might reach for a BO118 or Nocta. I just find this shape very easy for the way I ski in softer variable resort snow.

Those are great deals! Just picked up some Navis Freebird off KSL that were brand new for $500 and I was stoked on that price haha.

Waiting for my ATK FR14's to arrive and then I'll get to see how my first Black Crows will ski! Stoked!

Skirx is selling cheap. Check gear swap forum.
    He’s legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Interesting, I missed that.

I’m not a big guy on the 188’s - so maybe that’s bumped up the soft snow performance for me? The new shape has a more pronounced tip, I’ve found no issues getting them to plane up. We get a lot of wet, heavy snow in Whistler too - so I usually find I sit higher in the snow when compared to the interior’s pack.

Would I want something wider (120 or more underfoot?) if there’s 50+ cm of fresh? Probably, and I might reach for a BO118 or Nocta. I just find this shape very easy for the way I ski in softer variable resort snow.
    That's a good point. I don't have enough experience to say otherwise!

I'm still holding out for some Noctas - I grab a set of Renegades off here for shits and giggles but they will most likely end up in NZ with my brother for their season this year.

Limited edition noctas available.

hm, interesting. Thee asym seems very small if at all present. If one superimposes the right ski on the left or the other way around then there is a little bit of difference between them - but that can also just be because the skis are not vertical.

It will also be interesting to know the dimensions of the shovels/tails too. They seem a bit less effortless to ski than the current version (more shape + camber) so it will be very interesting to get more info on them

Thanks for posting the picture!

2125g per ski and a 19m radius. That’s all they would tell me.

https://www.black-crows.com/us/en/p/...orange-vg.html

camber in the new nocta tho...wasn't it all flat / reverse before?

First day out with new (2022) Corvus. I am a huge fan of the cambered Corvus and today was my first time skiing flat skis. Im 5-7 180# and the 183 just fucking ripped. They can make nice short turns, too. The trees were a blast although the snow was kind of crappy wind scoured shit but they handled it just fine. It doesn't take long to get used to having no camber with these. Im glad I went a little bigger to the 183. BTW I was skiing Sierra Tahoe hence the wind scoured snow in the trees.

I also keep going back to my Animas. The 188’s I tried did have tip dive on me, so I ended up on the 194s. I credit that with it having such a short tip on the 188s. They really were about 185 and are pretty forward mounted so they looked tiny on my feet. I hardly call my Animas as noodles and I’m 6’1” 215lbs for reference and my other go to skis are 187 Bonafides, 188 OG Armada Invictus Ti, and 192 Dynastar LP105, so I’m used to some beefy skis. I’ve tried to replace them with 190 cm Folsom Primary 110s, but they tip folded on me in any moguls causing shit turns, and with 190 cm Moment Wildcats, which I like in pow, but I don’t find as stable as the Animas or as much fun at the end of the day when the resort is skied out.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    camber in the new nocta tho...wasn't it all flat / reverse before?
    it sure had.

I can't remember a ski that I liked the look of less than the new Animas. As such, I can't wait to get more info on them (flex pattern, mount point, dimensions, reviews) to get an understanding of how the new models compares to the old one, and how it slots into the world of pow specific skis.

I've been sooooo close to order the outgoing version lots of times, but have managed to abstain. I am not afraid of ordering this one on an impulse though

hm, interesting. Thee asym seems very small if at all present. If one superimposes the right ski on the left or the other way around then there is a little bit of difference between them - but that can also just be because the skis are not vertical.

It will also be interesting to know the dimensions of the shovels/tails too. They seem a bit less effortless to ski than the current version (more shape + camber) so it will be very interesting to get more info on them

Thanks for posting the picture!
    Confirmed by the BC support online the Nocta is not ASYM.

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    First day out with new (2022) Corvus. I am a huge fan of the cambered Corvus and today was my first time skiing flat skis. Im 5-7 180# and the 183 just fucking ripped. They can make nice short turns, too. The trees were a blast although the snow was kind of crappy wind scoured shit but they handled it just fine. It doesn't take long to get used to having no camber with these. Im glad I went a little bigger to the 183. BTW I was skiing Sierra Tahoe hence the wind scoured snow in the trees.
    They are the most versatile ski I own. Love the 193. Today was a variety of refrozen groomers, softer groomers, chalk, windboard and settled powder with none to varying degrees of zipper crust. So predictable and maneuverable. Not the best at anything but more than adequate in everything. I skied some truly heinous snow today and these are just easy, handled it with aplomb.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    They are the most versatile ski I own. Love the 193. Today was a variety of refrozen groomers, softer groomers, chalk, windboard and settled powder with none to varying degrees of zipper crust. So predictable and maneuverable. Not the best at anything but more than adequate in everything. I skied some truly heinous snow today and these are just easy, handled it with aplomb.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This caught my attention in the feed. Completely agree. I moved on from mine with some regret and think about reuniting. Took a 10 day trip to Switzerland with em and felt properly equipped for a range of conditions with one exception. There’s was a 10” dump. Day of - they were fine to good. 2 days later trucking in OB untracked cold snow (no bottom hero type open section) I banged up and clipped skis. Was doing my best squiggly porpoise and face planted, unprovoked. Has stuck with me.. loved them up until then. Later that spring I was let down in corn conditions too. I’d still recommend them

Damn, those Noctas are sexy. I sold mine last year and kind of miss them, may have to pull the trigger. I can see adding just a few mm of camber being a good thing, although the gen2's skied soft groomers just fine.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Damn, those Noctas are sexy. I sold mine last year and kind of miss them, may have to pull the trigger. I can see adding just a few mm of camber being a good thing, although the gen2's skied soft groomers just fine.
    May want to hold off and see what Heritage Lab has in the works…

ETA: I’m concerned with the 19m radius of the new Nocta.