Washington DC has NO INSTATE COLLEGE TUTITION OPTIONS ?

This just came up at dinner last night and I can't believe it's true but a bit of googling says it's correct. Talk about fucking the less fortunate. There seems to be a few programs that offer grants up to $10k year but that won't come close to making up the delta for most Virginias and Maryland schools. Hey DC politicians way to make sure more barriers are in place from moving up in the world for the less fortunate.

You seem to think politicians care about us.
    Why?

UDC, the only public broad university in the District Of Columbia, has different tuition rates for residents, metro residents, and non-residents

Not that facts matter.

I don't think this is true. The University of the District of Columbia (UDC) is a public university with in state tuition rates for DC residents (and somewhat higher but still lowered rates for metro area residents.

Now, should DC cut some sort of deal with MD so that students who live in DC can go to UMD at in state rates given that it's literally on the DC metro? Yes probably. But I don't think it's technically true that DC residents have no in state tuition options.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    But I don't think it's technically true that DC residents have no in state tuition options.
    Well, technically it is true, because DC is not a state, so "resident tuition" is not "in-state tuition" , but your broader point is correct.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I don't think this is true. The University of the District of Columbia (UDC) is a public university with in state tuition rates for DC residents (and somewhat higher but still lowered rates for metro area residents.

Now, should DC cut some sort of deal with MD so that students who live in DC can go to UMD at in state rates given that it's literally on the DC metro? Yes probably. But I don't think it's technically true that DC residents have no in state tuition options.
    I guess you're right about UDC but how about some forward thinking for the regional politicians ? Then again they did reelect a mayor that was caught smoking crack .
    My assumption was they would have some pathway for bordering states but both Virginia and Maryland are out of state tuition for DC residents. I can't help but think if majority of students in DC were middle class white the situation would have been looked at with some sense of urgency. I certainly don't expect the government to care /solve all my problems but at least have a path for kids finishing high school without too many man made obstacles.

Why would VA and MD offer in state status to students that don't live (and more importantly, pay taxes) in their state?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I guess you're right about UDC but how about some forward thinking for the regional politicians ? Then again they did reelect a mayor that was caught smoking crack .
    My assumption was they would have some pathway for bordering states but both Virginia and Maryland are out of state tuition for DC residents. I can't help but think if majority of students in DC were middle class white the situation would have been looked at with some sense of urgency. I certainly don't expect the government to care /solve all my problems but at least have a path for kids finishing high school without too many man made obstacles.
    Why are you blaming DC for the choice Virgina and Maryland politicians made? Other than you want to blame DC and toss some insults at it? Besides I’m 100% certain if DC were 100% white a bunch of congress people would still treat them like shit, because bashing DC is good politics lots of places

Were you planning to move there with school age children or just voicing your concern as a citizen?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Then again they did reelect a mayor that was caught smoking crack.
    “Bitch set me up.”

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Well, technically it is true, because DC is not a state, so "resident tuition" is not "in-state tuition" , but your broader point is correct.
    Dammit! And technically true is the best kind of true!

There's a program called DCTAG that provides grants to assist kids with tuition in other states but it's been underfunded for quite a while. The original intent was to provide enough money that kids would pay rates equivalent to in-state tuiton but it's fallen way behind on that in recent years as tuitions have jetted up..

No available in state tuition seems like no big deal when you consider that DC has no votes in the Congress.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F0C40DD-D9C2-4078-B163-618B45607AF6.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	497.6 KB 
ID:	418388

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Why would VA and MD offer in state status to students that don't live (and more importantly, pay taxes) in their state?
    It would likely be some form of reciprocal relationship (with some fund sharing or federal subsidization since DC is a federal territory and big part of any uni's funding comes from the feds). There are definitely precedents for schools where the metro area straddles a border allowing in state tuition for all students in the metro area. Not exactly a "metro" example, but relevantly on a ski forum: Lake Tahoe Community College is part of the California system, gives discounted tuition to students who live on the Nevada side of the border in the Tahoe Basin (with a cap I believe).

Not sure if it's still this way but University of Wisconsin and University of Minnesota had an agreement where kids from either state could get in-state tuition at either school. My roommates in college were from Minneapolis and said tons of their class mates went to UW because of the deal.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Not sure if it's still this way but University of Wisconsin and University of Minnesota had an agreement where kids from either state could get in-state tuition at either school. My roommates in college were from Minneapolis and said tons of their class mates went to UW because of the deal.
    Yeah, I can see the benefits of reciprocal agreements. I just don't see why MD and VA would be expected to give a huge discount to DC residents for no real reason and for nothing in return.

Yeah, I can see the benefits of reciprocal agreements. I just don't see why MD and VA would be expected to give a huge discount to DC residents for no real reason and for nothing in return.
    there are several states that use their university systems access to instate tuition rates as a means to attract students (and thus residents), Alaska being notable. I think South Dakota & North Dakota tuition reciprocity with Minnesota and Wisconsin might be included in that too. Virginia and Maryland not being so interested in acquiring new student residents

I was just thinking about the inequity of a college education if you're a high school kid that is looking to attend college from DC. I wasn't suggesting the neighboring states offer resident tuition to be good neighbors but some sort of strategy or program would have been implemented that offer kids some better choices than the current situation while compensating the respective schools fairly. I did look at DCTAG and it has some limitations and sounds like its not well funded. IDK, something about offering smart , motivated kids who might not have won the race/parent/socio economic lottery even ground to play on , the ground that is the home of our democracy.
    I just saw the whole situation as incredibly ironic that all the "leaders" of our country working in a small area can't even help fix one small problem for some kids. I'm not talking about "free" college, just not a DC "COLLEGE TAX" .

We live in NY but there isn't a community college in our county so CT offers the kids (from this county) in state tuition. My kids graduated last year and it was less than a SUNY school would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    We live in NY but there isn't a community college in our county so CT offers the kids (from this county) in state tuition. My kids graduated last year and it was less than a SUNY school would have been.
    Quite a few states offer reciprocity but because DC isn't a state and has no real juice so they are getting left behind/forgotten/ignored. It's just something I learned about last night and surprised nothing has been done.

Quite a few states offer reciprocity but because DC isn't a state and has no real juice so they are getting left behind/forgotten/ignored. It's just something I learned about last night and surprised nothing has been done.
    Yeah, out on the other side of the country there are 16 states that participate in the Western Undergraduate Exchange. I'm sure here are similar arrangements elsewhere in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    Yeah, out on the other side of the country there are 16 states that participate in the Western Undergraduate Exchange. I'm sure here are similar arrangements elsewhere in the country.
    It's 1.5x resident tuition rate but lot of member state's tuition rate is low enough where it becomes a wash for some of the more expensive tuiton rate states. My kid looked at Montana from Oregon and it was almost the same price. Your're right , quite a few states offer reciprocity with other state schools these days.

How do you get instate tuition when you are not a state?

university

I think it should be, no one has forgotten about us, simple there is probably no need for these universities, or maybe it's not profitable to do them there -_-