Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place to rent DH bike in Snowmass?

Going to be in Snowmass in July and wanted to know if there's any shops that have better bikes than others. Looks like Aspen-Snowmass proper is "sold out" for the days I want to rent so I was looking at Epic Mountain Rentals...but not sure who carries the nicer bikes.

Most people who ride Snowmass are on enduro type bikes. I've ridden every trail there except for Gonzo on a 170/160 (and 150/130) bike and it was great. There are some fun lift-access XC trails you can ride back to the base or 1 way to Aspen (Government).

Surprised they are already sold out for your trip, unless you are going near 4th of July. I'm not up on who has what anymore but if 4 Mountain Sports (Aspen Snowmass owned rental shop) doesn't have bikes I'd just call around to rent/demo enduro bikes. I was able to demo a Revel Rail on XC trails in the morning then ride Snowmass Bikepark in the afternoon/evening.

Yeah I ride that whole bike park on a 130/140 trail bike and it’s totally fine. DH bike not required but I’m sure more fun. Even in the Tuesday races most people are on trail or enduro bikes

Check https://aspenmtb.com/ they have a lot of Revels they demo out from a tent up underneath the skittles. You could also check with Revel in Carbondale and see if you could demo a Rail direct from them.

Surprised four mountain sports is already sold out of their rentals - I’ve been with people who walked in and got one same day on the weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I ride a Trek Slash enduro , almost everyday.
    Revel’s trailer or Four Mountain would be my first choices. Aspen Sports also has DH bikes in a shop in Base Village.

I like PJ at Gene Taylor’s, but they mostly carry recreational bikes.

None of the shops are open yet. After the 21st, I’ll have better intel on bikes availability.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Speaking of riding out there, thinking of spending a few days in Crested Butte beforehand since I'll be there since before July 4th. Any trail recs?

Thinking of Monarch Crest, 403/401 linkup, Doctor Park. Any other suggestions? Any bike suggestions?

I could bring my Giant Trance 160/140 with a DHF/DHRII or a Specialized Chisel with a 100mm fork.

I think you’ll be happy on the Trance anywhere around here

I’m not a true CB expert but IMO Doctors is a must do above all others. It’ll be busy but it’s such a fun descent. Teocalli is really pretty and a cool ride as well but not as good bang for your buck as doctors. Just plan ahead with CB camping especially around July 4 since I think they locked it down a bunch recently

I wouldn’t really consider Monarch Crest as being in CB but if you’re able to get out there and the snow is melted then do it for sure. Could take monarch pass from gunnison, ride that, and then loop back over Indy pass to get to snowmass
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I think you’ll be happy on the Trance anywhere around here

I’m not a true CB expert but IMO Doctors is a must do above all others. It’ll be busy but it’s such a fun descent. Teocalli is really pretty and a cool ride as well but not as good bang for your buck as doctors. Just plan ahead with CB camping especially around July 4 since I think they locked it down a bunch recently

I wouldn’t really consider Monarch Crest as being in CB but if you’re able to get out there and the snow is melted then do it for sure. Could take monarch pass from gunnison, ride that, and then loop back over Indy pass to get to snowmass
    x2 on all of this. Definitely bring the Trance. I ride a Trance X 29 and its a goldilocks bike for western CO.

Good to know, what kind of tires do you run? I feel like the DHF/DHRII is a little slow and I just built up the Chisel to be a bikepacking bike so I was excited to potentially bring that instead, but I figured I would be a little underbiked just wasn't sure how much.

In the PNW where I'm at you practically want an enduro bike for most of the best riding so burly tires and lots of suspension are ideal.

Typically DHF/aggressor. Some people definitely run faster rolling tires up front but I prioritize grip/descending a little more.

If you don't have much experience riding dry/loose I'd probably just rock the DHF/DHR. You can blame your slow climbing on the altitude

You CAN ride a short travel bike in CB but the Trance will be more fun.

Their bike park is a good time too in additional to the excellent backcountry rides mentioned.

DHF/DHRii is a pretty standard setup here.

Trance will suit you nicely.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm planning a trip to Aspen with a buddy for some park riding this August. We might do a lower Plunge lap on the way and possibly a day at Powderhorn.

How are the trails at Powderhorn?

I'm so excite.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Good to know, what kind of tires do you run? I feel like the DHF/DHRII is a little slow and I just built up the Chisel to be a bikepacking bike so I was excited to potentially bring that instead, but I figured I would be a little underbiked just wasn't sure how much.

In the PNW where I'm at you practically want an enduro bike for most of the best riding so burly tires and lots of suspension are ideal.
    I ran those for a while, now I run DHF/Aggressor but honestly prefer the DHR even in the dry here. Gonna try a dissector in the rear next

The trails around here are fast and chunky/rocky in spots so having some more suspension can let you really open things up. You could ride anything on the chisel but I’m confident you’ll have more fun on the trance and don’t sweat the tire setup

There’s also great riding in Aspen outside of Snowmass with sweet views and a less manicured feel. Hit us up when you’re in town if you want a tour guide

sent ya a PM with some preferred routes, etc.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I'm planning a trip to Aspen with a buddy for some park riding this August. We might do a lower Plunge lap on the way and possibly a day at Powderhorn.

How are the trails at Powderhorn?

I'm so excite.
    Don't waste your time on the Plunge... anything in the high country is way more fun. Especially in August.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Don't waste your time on the Plunge... anything in the high country is way more fun. Especially in August.
    Yeah, August is a bit hot for the Plunge I imagine. We'll probably stick to the high country.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

So there's been a slight change in plans for our trip and we're thinking about trying to do some more "epic" backcountry rides than maximizing for downhill fun. I'm wondering if riding Aspen - Crested Butte and back will be snow free by July 4th? It seems iffy, but I know it's been a pretty low snow year.

It will be snow free. But that’s a big day.

Seattle area trails are significantly burlier than anything else in the US, but the constant bumpiness of rocky mountain trails makes hardtails not so fun.

So there's been a slight change in plans for our trip and we're thinking about trying to do some more "epic" backcountry rides than maximizing for downhill fun. I'm wondering if riding Aspen - Crested Butte and back will be snow free by July 4th? It seems iffy, but I know it's been a pretty low snow year.
    It'll be super cool don't get me wrong but IMO you'll find more fun riding elsewhere. Lots of grindy double track whichever route you take and a fair bit of it could have some jeep traffic. I'd probably look into monarch crest and some longer Aspen rides if you want more of a backcountry feel while still enjoying good singletrack riding

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    It'll be super cool don't get me wrong but IMO you'll find more fun riding elsewhere. Lots of grindy double track whichever route you take and a fair bit of it could have some jeep traffic.
    This is what I was thinking... doing Aspen to CB or vice versa seems like more of a sufferfest on a bike so that you can say you did it vs a rad, "epic" ride.

CB has so many incredible trails that you could link up into huge epic days that would be way more fun overall, if that's what you were looking for. Goldenboy probably can suggest some legit ride plans but east and south of CB you could link up pretty much as many miles as you wanted on mostly singletrack and catch some killer descents along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is what I was thinking... doing Aspen to CB or vice versa seems like more of a sufferfest on a bike so that you can say you did it vs a rad, "epic" ride.

CB has so many incredible trails that you could link up into huge epic days that would be way more fun overall, if that's what you were looking for. Goldenboy probably can suggest some legit ride plans but east and south of CB you could link up pretty much as many miles as you wanted on mostly singletrack and catch some killer descents along the way.
    Seconded.

Hmmm ok, my buddy is pretty set on the sufferfest, but I might see if I can change his mind.

CB to Aspen and back in a day can be an awesome ride...on a motorcycle. Stupid as fuck on a bicycle especially if you try to maximize singletrack. Either your friend is a professional cyclist or a moron who doesn't understand the area.

Not sure how much you've ridden in the rockies but the eroded OHV trails between CB and Aspen (and most OHV trails in the region generally) are not very fun to ride on and can be slower and more difficult than non-motorized singletrack