Flycraft inflatables?

Been looking into fly rafts and came across this company: https://www.flycraftusa.com/pages/stealth-boat-packages
    Seems like these would serve me well in MT and on the smaller rivers in NC. Especially like the fact that I can get it fully fitted out for less than $4500.

Anyone own or floated in one of these?
    swing your fucking sword.

Flycraft inflatables?

Interesting coincidence:

The musky guide I was fishing with yesterday said he is thinking about getting one of these to add to his fleet. He collects drift boats the way we collect skis, so I assume they must be good if he wants one.

edit to add: he also wants a jet boat. Guy dreams big.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Harry; 06-08-2022 at 06:25 AM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    anybody that trys to tell you those sweet little rafts
    have "all the comforts of a driftboat"
    aint spent much time in a drifty
    period
    other than that bs
    sweet lightweight rigs that will git it done
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Interesting coincidence:

The musky guide I was fishing with yesterday said he is thinking about getting one of these to add to his fleet. He collects drift boats the way we collect skis, so I assume they must be good if he wants one.

edit to add: he also wants a jet boat. Guy dreams big.

Makes me feel better about collecting skis.
    You catch any?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    pro tip for gittin em
    be observant
    Pics first.

Attachment 418332

With that out of the way, here is the story. If you remember here on TGR two+ years ago I was enrolled in a winter fly tying class in Big Sky. Then covid hit…. Fast forward 2+ years and now I’m living in Northern Wisconsin, and amazingly the guy who was my instructor in Big Sky is now a Musky guide here in Wisconsin. We linked up this morning and I had a great day hunting musky with him.

Unlike any kind of fly fishing I have ever done before.
    Fly = no tiny midges, we used a baby duckling imitation.
    Leader = no 5X tippet, we used steel cable.
    Rod = no 4 piece 5 wt, we used 1 piece 12 wt.
    Net = HUGE.
    Tools = no hemostat and nippers, vice grips and wire cutters.
    We were on “River X”, I’m not naming it, but it’s only a mile from my island.
    You do this weird Figure-8 thing when you strip your lure up to the boat with only a foot of line out, you shove your rod tip straight down in the water and use both hands on the butt and stir it in a figure-8, and sure enough that’s how I caught this monster.

I am hooked, Musky fishing is addictive. I had so much fun today I’m still buzzing.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    mur probro tips on the rubs vrs hard

at no time will a 95lb craft fish/float or run white water like a big raft or drifty
    much like rando sissy sticks will never ski like a bomber resort ski
    its all a compromise
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I know some of the folks over there, good folks, good company. I am SUPER green at rowing (read:done it for maybe 5 hours total). They are nimble, can fish skinny water, but do NOT row like a real raft or drift boat. I used one with a motor for duck hunting a few years back. They are tiny, hard to do overnight trips in, and while stable for the size, not nearly as stable or forgiving as a full size raft in sketchy situations.

That being said, they are well priced and well made, can fit into a subaru or station wagon, hell, I got the fully inflated boat in the bed of my gen1 tacoma. Everything has its plusses and minuses, but if you arent running big water, and not doing many overnights, they are a pretty solid option especially if storage and transport is an issue.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

SyF: good to see you posting in the Fishing Forums. Everyone here (all 8 or 10 of us…) are friends, you should link up and fish with some of the people here.

Bozeman maggot swimmy has a small 2-person inflatable similar to what you are looking for. It’s a different brand that what you posted, but it would give you an idea. You should go fishing with him.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I know some of the folks over there, good folks, good company. I am SUPER green at rowing (read:done it for maybe 5 hours total). They are nimble, can fish skinny water, but do NOT row like a real raft or drift boat. I used one with a motor for duck hunting a few years back. They are tiny, hard to do overnight trips in, and while stable for the size, not nearly as stable or forgiving as a full size raft in sketchy situations.

That being said, they are well priced and well made, can fit into a subaru or station wagon, hell, I got the fully inflated boat in the bed of my gen1 tacoma. Everything has its plusses and minuses, but if you arent running big water, and not doing many overnights, they are a pretty solid option especially if storage and transport is an issue.
    Thanks for the info. Maybe a used NRS would be a better option since I definitely want something that can handle overnights and the nantahala.
    SyF: good to see you posting in the Fishing Forums. Everyone here (all 8 or 10 of us…) are friends, you should link up and fish with some of the people here.

Bozeman maggot swimmy has a small 2-person inflatable similar to what you are looking for. It’s a different brand that what you posted, but it would give you an idea. You should go fishing with him.

Nice fkn fish.

I'll definitely give swimmy a shout when im back in the bozone.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Maybe a used NRS would be a better option since I definitely want something that can handle overnights and the nantahala.
    Fishing guide buddy of mine has one, they are pretty small. If you want to do overnights or any whitewater above class II I would go with a real raft. The one thing he likes about his is it is small and light enough he can put it on the roof of his truck, so no trailer necessary.

Here is my $.02 as I went through this several years ago when I got into the little raft game. I've spent time in both

Flycraft
    Things I liked

- it had a frame providing more comfort on long floats
    - small enough to throw in a pickup as suggested
    - I liked the rack on the stern for carrying gear

Things I didn't like

- the boat was narrow and felt super tippy...almost like a canoe. Definitely not made for anything above class II.
    - the floor was not self-bailing. Total deal breaker, although I think they now provide a self bailing floor

Outcast Striker

Things I liked

- Self bailing floor
    - Much more stable
    - More compact making it easier to haul with my camper
    - Less expensive than the Flycraft

Things I didn't like

- No frame and after several hours on the water my back would really start bothering me
    - Anchor system was kind of cheap compared to others

But it ended up being an easy decision and went with the Outcast. I love that little boat. I added a simple NRS frame and that fixed my back issues. Also having a frame, I feel confident enough to row it down our local class IV. Might man up and give it a go this summer as I haven't been down in several years since I sold my 14'er. And while the Scotty Anchor is not bombproof, it is fine for what I'm doing.

Another one you might look at is the Orvis Hookjaw. My friend bought one last year and while I haven't been in it yet, he loves it.

Feel free to hit me up if you want to get out for a day and test drive the Striker. I'm always looking for an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Here is my $.02 as I went through this several years ago when I got into the little raft game. I've spent time in both

Flycraft
    Things I liked

- it had a frame providing more comfort on long floats
    - small enough to throw in a pickup as suggested
    - I liked the rack on the stern for carrying gear

Things I didn't like

- the boat was narrow and felt super tippy...almost like a canoe. Definitely not made for anything above class II.
    - the floor was not self-bailing. Total deal breaker, although I think they now provide a self bailing floor

Outcast Striker

Things I liked

- Self bailing floor
    - Much more stable
    - More compact making it easier to haul with my camper
    - Less expensive than the Flycraft

Things I didn't like

- No frame and after several hours on the water my back would really start bothering me
    - Anchor system was kind of cheap compared to others

But it ended up being an easy decision and went with the Outcast. I love that little boat. I added a simple NRS frame and that fixed my back issues. Also having a frame, I feel confident enough to row it down our local class IV. Might man up and give it a go this summer as I haven't been down in several years since I sold my 14'er. And while the Scotty Anchor is not bombproof, it is fine for what I'm doing.

Another one you might look at is the Orvis Hookjaw. My friend bought one last year and while I haven't been in it yet, he loves it.

Feel free to hit me up if you want to get out for a day and test drive the Striker. I'm always looking for an excuse...
    Sounds like the Striker is more up my alley. How does that lean bar hold up?

Gonna give the Hookjaw a look too. I'll let you know when I'm back in town later in the summer. Definitely want to get a day on the water.

My 2cents is if it's your first boat just find cheap boat and get out. I fish a lot of the same spots as Swimmy and have ran everything from an old Yellowstone drifter to an old bucket boat Riken to a "newer" RO deville/guide/skiff, multiple clackas and others. I still have the raft and while not enjoyable I've run that boat through some super skinny water(west fork/Taylor fork etc). It cost me 600 bucks and it's also ran beartrap, Smith and lots of desert trips. I do like the outcast though.

Not a raft but I'd offer ya a spot on my boat 2moro since I'm prob just rowing my dog down the Mo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Long time lurker, first time writer. I have a Dave Sadden Design Outlaw Avenger XX. Haven't got it wet yet, because I don't even know how I want to get it to the put in! I could break it down and haul it in my Honda Element rig it at the put in break it down at the take out etc, but would prefer to leave it setup all season and haul it on a trailer. What kind of trailer do I want to haul this thing around?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Terrapin Ben; 06-10-2022 at 09:09 AM. Reason: fix link

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    My 2cents is if it's your first boat just find cheap boat and get out. I fish a lot of the same spots as Swimmy and have ran everything from an old Yellowstone drifter to an old bucket boat Riken to a "newer" RO deville/guide/skiff, multiple clackas and others. I still have the raft and while not enjoyable I've run that boat through some super skinny water(west fork/Taylor fork etc). It cost me 600 bucks and it's also ran beartrap, Smith and lots of desert trips. I do like the outcast though.

Not a raft but I'd offer ya a spot on my boat 2moro since I'm prob just rowing my dog down the Mo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I think this is what I'll probably end up doing, just getting something I can afford in the immediate future. I'd rather have something that gets the job done this summer than save through the winter and get something nicer next spring.

I'm in NC probably through mid-august but will let you know when I'm back in the Bozone. I really appreciate the offer. Still haven't fished the MO and would love to this fall.