Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Some fun things to do in Seattle (recommendations?)

Wife and daughter will be out in Seattle for a week at a soccer tournament in late June. Lots of downtime. (They have two full days off) Never been to Seattle.

Any recommendations on fun things to do which might be a bit off the beaten track?

Thank you in advance.

(I'll add that cheesy is ok - fine with Duck Boats-type of deal.)
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Trying to get recruited?

hiking, boating/sailing. Grill oysters

edit: my recs for off days to someone else going there for the same thing were scenic trips to rainier, north cascades loop, or the oly peninsula
    Last edited by dunfree ; 06-05-2022 at 08:55 PM.

All within 1.5 miles: Shilshole/Golden Gardens walk on the beach, have a bite or drink at Ray's boathouse (hopefully its stopped raining by then, their deck is awesome), Ballard locks to watch boats to go in and out and the sockeye should be running by then, so the fish ladder viewing can be good as can watching the seals eat the salmon.

Same complex: Space Needle/Experience Museum, monorail to Westlake. Cheesy, yes. What could have been if Seattle had balls.

Public Market: Maximilien Restaurant (great deck if it's sunny), Di Laurentis Deli for gourmando charcuterie/cheeses/breads, the Athenian for lunch view, gobs of weird shit for sale, check out https://tenzingmomo.com/ . Seattle Art Museum is a couple of blocks down first from there, but is yawn unless there's a special exhibit. Aquarium is just down the steps.

Ferry to Bainbridge, have coffee or dinner at https://ameliawynnwinery.com/, views are awesome from boat.

Worthy of a short drive: Snoqualmie Falls, I-90 up to hikes in Snoqualmie Pass is a day trip.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Some fun things to do in Seattle (recommendations?)

If it’s nice out there’s a boat ride that goes from Lake Union over to the waterfront (and other versions), but it’s really good because the docents are smart and it’s just nice to be out on the water.
    The aquarium is great.
    Elliot’s seems touristy but it’s bettter than it needs to be, and it’s nice to sit outside and have your choice of a dozen or so oysters and watch the ferries go in and out. I’m not as impressed as some people are with Pike Place market, but maybe the kids will want to see those guys throw fish.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Go to Ivar’s fish bar on Pier 54 and order fish & chips (or better yet salmon & chips), chowder, and toss a few fries to the seagulls.

I like boat rides. I would definitely do a boat tour of Puget Sound.

Walk-on ferry to Brainbridge is a must. The main drag with restaurants and shops is just a few minutes walk from the ferry terminal.

Pike Place Market for sure, too. I've got to think there's something there of interest for pretty much anyone.

Driving to Paradise in Mt Rainier National Park is pretty much an all day thing. On a nice day the beauty is hard to match, but there isn't going to be a whole lot of hiking opportunities yet. Currently there's a 142 inch snow base at Paradise. They could also go around the east side of the park and go up the Crystal Mountain gondola, too.

The Fremont Troll is always a hit if they happen to head up north of the Ship Canal (Ballard, UW, etc.). Woodland Park Zoo is nice if they're into that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I like boat rides. I would definitely do a boat tour of Puget Sound.
    I dunno, Argosy is pretty dreadful but I guess if you’re from a landlocked area!?! I think just taking the ferry to bainbridge is better & you get to get off the boat over there and shop around etc so…

I think the lake union tour out of MOHAI is better for a short hop, and/or Victoria clipper is back on if you have a whole day, pretty sure they still stop in Friday Harbor too. Kenmore air to Friday or Roche if you’re $$$

Water is pretty much the draw, and restaurants too…
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Yeah, Victoria via the Clipper can be done in a day, but it's a long day. If you've got the cash taking Kenmore Air is the way to go. My wife and I did that a few years ago and it was a blast. The Clipper isn't going to the San Juan Islands (i.e. Friday Harbor) this summer: https://theorcasonian.com/its-now-of...run-this-year/

If they happen to be in town on Saturday the 18th they should go to the Fremont Solstice Parade. It's great. Also the Pride Parade on the 26th. Definitely not your standard fair parades in either case.

Many thanks for all of the suggestions.

Two full days, in a row? If so I’d drive to Leavenworth. It’s as cheesy as it gets but the setting is amazing. Side trip to Lake Wenatchee for more spectacular scenery. A nice scenic loop over Snoqualmie, Blewett and Stevens in either direction. Lots of things to see

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My favorite Seattle things:
    1. If on other timezones time, go to Pike place at like 6-7 am. Totally different vibe and fresh croissants.
    2. Duck tour is fun, but touristy
    3. Chihouly glass museum is amazing. Right next to experience music project if that's your jam.
    4. Seattle art museum is great. Last time I checked they had some permanent installations of pacnw and aboriginal art that are best seen in person.
    5. Fill your head with sushi
    6. If it's nice out, alki beach kayaking is a great way to see the city.
    7. Seattle underground tour is a riot

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Two full days, in a row? If so I’d drive to Leavenworth. It’s as cheesy as it gets but the setting is amazing. Side trip to Lake Wenatchee for more spectacular scenery. A nice scenic loop over Snoqualmie, Blewett and Stevens in either direction. Lots of things to see

Not consecutive days. Event is in Redmond. Hotel is in Bellevue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Not consecutive days. Event is in Redmond. Hotel is in Bellevue.
    Scratch that, although it’s an easy day trip

Rent duffy boat in Lake Union.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

https://emeraldcitytrapeze.com

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Our fav restaurant in Bellvoid is https://www.bisonmain.com/ , but there's tons of sushi and pho around there as well.
    Deadmond is boring, ask me how I know, games will likely be at Marymoor.

Easier eastside entertainments are Snoq Falls and a hike up Mt. Si, provided it's not a weekend.

But yeah, I'd still rec the Bainbridge ferry walk on option if the weather is decent and that could be easily integrated with Pike Place Public Market and Aquarium. Yeah, the market is cheesy, but it's very Seattle.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thanks!

Hiking Mt Si might not be the best thing to do on a rest day during a soccer tournament! It's over 3,000 ft in elevation gain, so it's a pretty legit hike. Snoqualmie Falls is cool, but very touristy. Not exactly a nature experience. If they want to do something a bit more outdoorsy, I'd suggest Twin Falls. It's right off I-90 just east of North Bend. Fairly flat hike with two nice waterfalls.

If they want to rest their legs, a nice way to see the water and skyline is to rent sea kayaks at Agua Verde in the u district. You put in and take out there and can grab tacos and margaritas afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    7. Seattle underground tour is a riot
    I really enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Hiking Mt Si might not be the best thing to do on a rest day during a soccer tournament! It's over 3,000 ft in elevation gain, so it's a pretty legit hike. Snoqualmie Falls is cool, but very touristy. Not exactly a nature experience. If they want to do something a bit more outdoorsy, I'd suggest Twin Falls. It's right off I-90 just east of North Bend. Fairly flat hike with two nice waterfalls.
    Agree on Si. The views are awesome, but it's around 8mi RT with 3k gain. If you want a quick easy hike that still delivers views, Rattlesnake Ledges or Dirty Harry's Balcony are easy ones close to the freeway.

Twin Falls is also a great one. If you want a uniquely Seattle waterfall hike, Franklin Falls is tough to beat as it's under I90 but still beautiful. I'd never turn someone away from Snoqualmie Falls (I love it), but it can be a bit overrun on beautiful days.

At Marymoor Park (if that's where the tournament is), there's a rock climbing wall that seems pretty cool (I've never used it myself).

June weather is really spotty, especially this year.

I'd bet it's at 40 acres. Lots of good and varied Asian food between Redmond and Bellevue. Twin falls is a good recommendation.

In Bellevue you can rent kayaks at Meydenbauer bay or Enatai, not sure on timing but it could be an option on an afternoon. The agua Verde rentals let you see Seattle and the houseboats. Center for wooden boats also does rentals in the south end of lake Union.

The passenger ferry to West Seattle might be an option too, then walk along to Alki.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Agree on Si. The views are awesome, but it's around 8mi RT with 3k gain. If you want a quick easy hike that still delivers views, Rattlesnake Ledges or Dirty Harry's Balcony are easy ones close to the freeway.

Twin Falls is also a great one. If you want a uniquely Seattle waterfall hike, Franklin Falls is tough to beat as it's under I90 but still beautiful. I'd never turn someone away from Snoqualmie Falls (I love it), but it can be a bit overrun on beautiful days.
    Yes, agree on all these choices. Rattlesnake Ledge climbs quickly, but it's fairly short and easy to get to with lots of parking and a killer view from the top. Franklin Falls is more or less dead flat, but doesn't really have any mountain views, just the pretty river and waterfall. Same for Twin Falls.

If it is just the wife and kid making the trip, trying to think of things females would like to do. Might check out Bellevue Mall, to see how well it has survived the pandemic. Used to be a good place to shop, with an art museum on the top floor. But it’s been a long time since I’ve been there.

They could also go swimming out at Lake Sammamish State Park, or Meydenbauer Bay.