Skin Maintenance - Removing pollen from plush

some light reading has stated citrus cleaner, or even mineral spirits - with a re-application of Nikwax skin stuff (the official name) after.

Anyone have any experience in this field?

Thanks!
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    some light reading has stated citrus cleaner, or even mineral spirits - with a re-application of Nikwax skin stuff (the official name) after.

Anyone have any experience in this field?

Thanks!
    I don't know about paint thinner, but I'd hesitate using GooGone or CitraSolve even on the plush, as it dissolves the glue. I've used warm water and dish detergent, scrubbed with a nylon brush, and squeegeed with a plexiglass scraper a few times, which seems to work OK - the plush is still discolored a bit, but works fine. As for DWR solutions, I pretty much just hotwax each pair of skins once or twice a year and call it good.

I normally try to clean mine on clean snow -- that's not a joke or sarcastic. Normally mine get muddled from spring approaches in everygreen trees and I try to make a point of skinning them on some clean stuff to clean off the plush. Doesn't work so great if I have to put skins back on to get to the car. I've also cleaned them with just warm water and a rag.

Like Greg L, I'm a fan of the hot wax when needed for some more glide.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I don't know about paint thinner, but I'd hesitate using GooGone or CitraSolve even on the plush, as it dissolves the glue. I've used warm water and dish detergent, scrubbed with a nylon brush, and squeegeed with a plexiglass scraper a few times, which seems to work OK - the plush is still discolored a bit, but works fine. As for DWR solutions, I pretty much just hotwax each pair of skins once or twice a year and call it good.
    ended up using a mild laundry detergent, and some light scrubbing with a brush - it worked really really well. I'll be applying my standard Nikwax skin treatment tonight - ill let folks know how well it works.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net