School me on Calvados

Always up for branching out, I finally decided to buy a bottle of calvados. Calvados Pierre Huet VS. Nothing too fancy. For my usual night cap, I typically enjoy a snifter of brandy or splash of bourbon, but wanted to venture out of my comfort zone a bit and try something new. Was not disappointed! Seems to be a crisper, perhaps refreshing alternative to traditional brandy that I might like more on these hot summer nights. I know it's distilled from apples and all, but even still was a bit surprised at how much that flavor comes through. Anyhoo, being as I know NOTHING about the spirit, please enlighten me. What's up with this stuff? What should I try next? Prices are sure cheap across the board at my local bodega so that's a plus. This bottle was only $25.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220601_021802414.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	417908

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I only use it for chicken Normandy.

armagnac
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Most calvados is made from relatively young distillate which creates a flavor profile that is fresh, juicy, bright, and easy. It is not a bourbon drinker's spirit, imo, but offers a palatable alternative to young cognac or, god forbid, young armagnac. It's perfect for getting properly hammered on before a friend's wedding, for instance. But it's not ideally suited to serving at poker night with your hedge fund buddies unless it's in conjunction with a kicker of dry cider and giant god damned train track looking rails of good quality cocaine.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Chix Normandy is a must if you have a bottle around

Ok! That's two votes for the Chicken Normandy. Wasn't my planned trajectory with this thread but now I have to give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Most calvados is made from relatively young distillate which creates a flavor profile that is fresh, juicy, bright, and easy. It is not a bourbon drinker's spirit, imo, but offers a palatable alternative to young cognac or, god forbid, young armagnac. It's perfect for getting properly hammered on before a friend's wedding, for instance. But it's not ideally suited to serving at poker night with your hedge fund buddies unless it's in conjunction with a kicker of dry cider and giant god damned train track looking rails of good quality cocaine.
    Haha. Sounds like you have some real experience with the stuff!

More than anything, it's just fun to try something new. Never had it before. Was enjoyable as an aperitif on the back deck last night. Hot summer breaze. Cicadas chittering away. Perfect for the weather and packs a punch.

How similar is the historical American variant, Applejack? Been curious about that stuff too. Both are in my favorite store's brandy/cognac section which is what brought my attention to the category in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Ok! That's two votes for the Chicken Normandy. Wasn't my planned trajectory with this thread but now I have to give it a try!

Chicken Normandy is quite delicious. You should enjoy...

Calvados is good, but it is an acquired taste. Unlike Armagnac, it is made from apples. I liken it to Himbeergeist, Kirschwasser, Williams and to a lesser extent Mirabellen. Other than grape fruit brandy.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Haha. Sounds like you have some real experience with the stuff!

More than anything, it's just fun to try something new. Never had it before. Was enjoyable as an aperitif on the back deck last night. Hot summer breaze. Cicadas chittering away. Perfect for the weather and packs a punch.

How similar is the historical American variant, Applejack? Been curious about that stuff too. Both are in my favorite store's brandy/cognac section which is what brought my attention to the category in the first place.

I was wondering how it compares to Applejack as well. I use applejack in cocktails, but haven’t ever had calvados.

If you’re buying Applejack, it’s probably going to be Laird’s, and you don’t actually want their Applejack, you want at least the ‘Straight Apple Brandy’, or one of the longer aged products.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    But it's not ideally suited to serving at poker night with your hedge fund buddies unless it's in conjunction with a kicker of dry cider and giant god damned train track looking rails of good quality cocaine.
    I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Seconded.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Seconded.
    Thirded

Now that you’ve tried calvados, track down some high proof slivovitz
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Now that you’ve tried calvados, track down some high proof slivovitz
    I have! Have a friend from Serbia who hooked me up with some "Rakija" from back home. Said it's pretty common for people to make their own too there. There's even a local distillery here! Very popular with the Eastern European immigrant community here.

I enjoyed it immensely (especially partying with that crowd), but it's no joke. Each drink goes down easier and easier though. Those guys can REALLY handle their liquor. Sheesh! Thankfully my Irish/German-inherited liver allows me to hang. One afternoon with those guys would put most rookies on the floor, face down in a puddle of their own puke.

Now that it's summer time, I've shelved the Brandy/Cognac and have declared it Calvados time! Much more refreshing to sip on out on the deck on these hot, muggy evenings we've been having lately. I picked up a bottle of Menorval Tres Vieux XO. It's pretty affordable and I believe is a blend made up of 10-25 year stuff. It's apple aroma is absolutely intoxicating and the smell alone is worth the price of entry. Fantastic sipper, delicious finish. On a hot night outside, I've been enjoying it on a few cubes of ice. Not bad! Pick it up if you see a bottle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Menorval Calvados.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	465932