Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post
    I'll be driving up from CO to Eastern OR for a rafting trip in a few weeks, cutting thru southern ID rippin' 84 the whole way... anywhere special I need to make a pitstop at?? Not lookin to attend any church services so count me out on the LDS shit, also not a billionaire so not lookin' to shop around for any houses, just lookin for a good bite to eat, maybe a campsite to spend the night... is Idaho a good place to visit?
    Shoshone Falls.

yeah, we stopped there on the way, it was pretty
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'll be driving up from CO to Eastern OR for a rafting trip in a few weeks, cutting thru southern ID rippin' 84 the whole way... anywhere special I need to make a pitstop at?? Not lookin to attend any church services so count me out on the LDS shit, also not a billionaire so not lookin' to shop around for any houses, just lookin for a good bite to eat, maybe a campsite to spend the night... is Idaho a good place to visit?
    There are actually a lot of waterfalls and springs along I-84 besides just Shoshone Falls. Details and map here- https://visitsouthidaho.com/waterfalls/

Thousand Springs is supposedly cool, but I haven't been yet.

Also, check out the "Idaho the Movie" series on Amazon Prime video for lots of details about these waterfalls.

Drive through the lost river range, challis, and Stanley. Just driving through if you have not seen the area is well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    There are actually a lot of waterfalls and springs along I-84 besides just Shoshone Falls. Details and map here- https://visitsouthidaho.com/waterfalls/

Thousand Springs is supposedly cool, but I haven't been yet.

Also, check out the "Idaho the Movie" series on Amazon Prime video for lots of details about these waterfalls.
    I don't think Thousand Springs is worth the detour.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Drive through the lost river range, challis, and Stanley. Just driving through if you have not seen the area is well worth it.
    This. You could drive north off 84 on either 15 or 75. Angle towards Mackay...it'll be pretty bland until then. But once you get to the Lost River Range, it's the tits. Assuming your vehicle is capable (anything with halfway decent tires and no trailer--think flat tires and a steep, exposed season road) I'd recommend taking Trail Creek Road from Chili Slough to Ketchum. Then head north through the Boulder and Smoky Mountains, over Galena Pass, into the Sawtooth basin. Jizz your pants yet again, head towards Boise via Stanley. In the course of ~4 hours you will have seen some of the more spectacular mountain ranges north of Colorado. Tons of FS camping the entire time.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    This. You could drive north off 84 on either 15 or 75. Angle towards Mackay...it'll be pretty bland until then. But once you get to the Lost River Range, it's the tits. Assuming your vehicle is capable (anything with halfway decent tires and no trailer--think flat tires and a steep, exposed season road) I'd recommend taking Trail Creek Road from Chili Slough to Ketchum. Then head north through the Boulder and Smoky Mountains, over Galena Pass, into the Sawtooth basin. Jizz your pants yet again, head towards Boise via Stanley. In the course of ~4 hours you will have seen some of the more spectacular mountain ranges north of Colorado. Tons of FS camping the entire time.
    1000x this. One of my favorite drives. Hope to spend a few weeks exploring the area next year.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    been buggin the wife about our utarded exit strategy upon her retirement
    ya honey we sell the house and buy a wooden boat and move to the holy land

fkna cool
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I'm just here to post in thus thread so fucjed up that I couldn't figure out the handle to the door to go outside and piss but alas I can post on tgr I spent the afternoon on mushrooms and high letting g my junk hang out in the scortching Colorado sun at a hot springs all afternoon I think my ass is red and I'm hoping to wake up an finally unsee all the other people I had to see naked today if you want to be part of the rich entitled liberal agenda then by all means move to summit County co if you wanna hang out naked then pm me

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    1000x this. One of my favorite drives. Hope to spend a few weeks exploring the area next year.
    Stay out.

Once west of Stanley the route into Lowman along the S Fk Payette is outstanding(not quite as nice as before it was burned over, however .) There is a couple of too easy to find, accessible hot springs on the river. Continue on to Garden Valley - Banks - and McCall or Boise.

An alternate route if you can tolerate hours of washboard roads is through Bruce Meadows and Bear Valley over to Deadwood Reservoir and up towards Warm Lake and Cascade. While its not as majestic as the Pios, Boulders, or Sawtooths it's pretty neat country.

thanks for the recs here... we took 15/26/93 thru what felt like the middle of nowhere up to Mackay where we stopped for some roadside BBQ from a guy slingin' meat out of a pull-behind smoker trailer, it was some damn good food.. after that we took Trail Creek Rd. from Chilly to Ketchum and camped on some FS land in the valley before going up and over the pass into the Sawtooths, you weren't kidding about the pants-jizzing views man, that area was awesome.. hit up Pine Flats Hot Springs for a quick dip along the Payette the next day as we continued our drive which was really cool too

I will say it was wild to see the stark contrast between the haves & have-nots in Sun Valley vs. the rest of the state; a lot of huge multi-million dollar houses there versus some of the other rural areas that we drove thru... once we got out of the mountains to the west of Banks it was definitely a bit desolate.. we planned on stopping at Ole's in Weiser for a quick beer but saw the local clientele outside the bar and thought we might get our assess kicked for just walking in the door, they seemed like some rough & tumble folks, confederate flags on their trucks, etc... a bit different culture than what I'm generally accustomed to back home in New England

Overall solid trip thru Idaho tho, as a first time visitor my main takeaway was that the mountains are friggin' beautiful and I'd definitely like to get back there for more adventures some day
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

I've been playing in the area lately. Had a nice time today outside of Stanley.
    Name:  PXL_20220709_202459973abc3.jpeg
Views: 444
Size:  188.1 KB
    sigless.

thanks for the recs here... we took 15/26/93 thru what felt like the middle of nowhere up to Mackay where we stopped for some roadside BBQ from a guy slingin' meat out of a pull-behind smoker trailer, it was some damn good food.. after that we took Trail Creek Rd. from Chilly to Ketchum and camped on some FS land in the valley before going up and over the pass into the Sawtooths, you weren't kidding about the pants-jizzing views man, that area was awesome.. hit up Pine Flats Hot Springs for a quick dip along the Payette the next day as we continued our drive which was really cool too

I will say it was wild to see the stark contrast between the haves & have-nots in Sun Valley vs. the rest of the state; a lot of huge multi-million dollar houses there versus some of the other rural areas that we drove thru... once we got out of the mountains to the west of Banks it was definitely a bit desolate.. we planned on stopping at Ole's in Weiser for a quick beer but saw the local clientele outside the bar and thought we might get our assess kicked for just walking in the door, they seemed like some rough & tumble folks, confederate flags on their trucks, etc... a bit different culture than what I'm generally accustomed to back home in New England

Overall solid trip thru Idaho tho, as a first time visitor my main takeaway was that the mountains are friggin' beautiful and I'd definitely like to get back there for more adventures some day
    Glad you got to experience the beauty. I'd put it up against just about anywhere for jaw dropping scenery.

Yes, Idaho has some stark contrast for sure. Last time I looked, it was one of the poorest states in the union as measured by household income. Plop Ketchum (one of the wealthier zip codes in the US) right in the middle, and there you have it.

Regarding Weiser, I will say I'm fairly well traveled around Idaho (and the rest of the West) and I've never felt remotely threatened. As a matter of fact, I can't say I've met anyone outside of SV or Boise that wasn't a generally nice person. That's not to say we don't have our share of idiots, methys, racists or the like, but find me a rural state of our size that doesn't. Rural people are generally different but don't write them off over ignorance or appearance. Most of them are plenty decent when you get down to it. Next time grab that beer...Just leave your Hillary 2016 t-shirt in the car!

Next time grab that beer...Just leave your Hillary 2016 t-shirt in the car!
    Good advice. They are probably shirtless too so you will look like a local.

Ordering Keystone light used to be a guaranteed way to blend in.

I just drove thru Wiesner on my way to McCall. My only problem was at the rest area they had a ton of no dog signs.
    The only small dog area was surrounded by beware of snakes signs.

Payette Lake was really nice, cruising around in a classic old wooden Chris Craft.

Rural people are generally different but don't write them off over ignorance or appearance. Most of them are plenty decent when you get down to it. Next time grab that beer...Just leave your Hillary 2016 t-shirt in the car!
    the Sawtooth's were seriously some of the best scenery I've ever seen.. and I was just kidding about feeling like we were going to get our assess kicked at that bar, the guy at the BBQ truck and the folks at the supermarket we talked to were all very friendly and nice people... great advice about my t-shirt selection though, I knew leaving my MAGA hat back at home was a mistake haha.. thanks again for the recommendations, it was an awesome trip
    my head is perpetually in the clouds