Smaller Tires on Wide Rims

A few years ago I put together a plus 27.5 HT as that was kinda a trend then and I bought into it. So, I built up a pretty much full carbon bike with 50mm rims and 3.0 tires. I rode it quite a bit initially but never had a passion for it and it only gets used when my other bikes are down. I did down sized the tires to 2.8 and the bike got a little bit more agile but still feel the tires and size are holding it back. So, thinking about dropping the tires again to 2.6. My question is will this be compatible with the 50mm rims? or just wasting time and $$. Another issue is that the shocks are extra wide so that might come into play.

Anyway, am I kicking a dead horse? I do have a set of 40mm wheels but to put them into play I need to change out the rotors and cassette. Plus compatibility with the wide shock, more $$ into a well.

I guess probably is to just keep it like it is. Right now my wife's bike is down waiting for shock rebuild and maybe one month lead time so she is riding it.

Any thoughts, If I had a do over, same bike but 29 30mm rims and 2.35 tires.

A friend of mine put wide rims on his bike right before a road trip. Might have been 45 or 50mm. He didn't put wider tires on, just the 2.5s he'd been running. He got multiple flats because the narrower tires just didn't work with wide rims. He used up his own tube and those of the rest of our group. Got another flat after that and had to hike 7 miles out. YMMV

American Classic was a big proponent of wide rims on average size tires 10 years ago (before they went out of business.) Never personally owned anything wider than 30mm ID.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...s-wide-wheels/
    Last edited by One (+) Sentence; 05-30-2022 at 03:30 PM.

I think unfortunately that swapping to 2.6's, even on that 40 mm rim isn't going to do enough to give you that "passion" for the bike you mention. I've run 2.6, 2.8, and 3.0 on the front of a 29+ bike, and tread pattern made a much bigger difference than whatever number was printed on the sidewall.

I think by the "shock being extra wide" you mean it has a plus fork? That won't be an issue, you'll just have oodles of clearance. I've seen guys run 29x2.3's in fat bike frames and while it looks stupid, it doesn't have any performance downsides specific to the fork/tire combo. Although, some of those Fox 27.5+ forks don't clear a 29er tire, which is hilarious and obnoxious.

I know it's not the fun answer, but if it was my bike I'd weigh hanging onto it and using it as a backup/loaner, vs. trying to sell it now while the market is somewhat hot, and grabbing a more appropriate 29er in the future.