Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DIY tech insert boot mod for uphill only

I really want to mod a pair of Dobermans that I own to have tech toe capability for uphill travel, a la CAST boot mod. However I’d prefer not to spend the money and time to send them to CAST. I only want to have pin tech function for uphill, so I’m imagining I can get away with lower tolerances than trying to install an actual tech fitting. Also have old shells that I can practice on. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this mod at home for cheap?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there is a lot of good info on CAST's site about how they do it.

I've debated the same concept - my thoughts were drilling two holes in the sides of the toe where the pins would seat and installing metal cups for tech pins to seat into. Something like a small steel washer bored out to address the pivot friction and jb weld behind it to hold it in place to provide rigidity.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

https://www.wildsnow.com/16473/retro...-install-boot/

I knew somebody had tried it but whom and where did I see it ... sometimes wanking about on the WWW pays off
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-27-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Contemplating sinking a #2 square tip fastener into an old pair of boots and using a dremel to ream it out round. Am I crazy to think that might work?

I think the huge amount of lateral force on the toe while side hilling would make this a pretty tough DIY. I would think at the least the sides need to be connected and stiff AF

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Here’s what the inside of your tech toe boot looks like. It’s not 2 cups.

Name:  Image1653684540.226266.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  33.4 KB

Original cast setup IIRC was Allen(hex head) set screws
    I imagine they moved on for a reason.
    I tried to put a Dynafit inert in a boot once.
    I think I’m pretty handy but it was a fail.
    If I were to attempt what you are doing,
    I’d drill a hole thru the lug, screw in a threaded rod, cut it off flush and drill sockets into it. The spec is supposedly 70* so you need to recut a drill bit to that angle.

DIY tech insert boot mod for uphill only

Connected and stiff AF

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Original cast setup IIRC was Allen(hex head) set screws
    I imagine they moved on for a reason.
    I tried to put a Dynafit inert in a boot once.
    I think I’m pretty handy but it was a fail.
    If I were to attempt what you are doing,
    I’d drill a hole thru the lug, screw in a threaded rod, cut it off flush and drill sockets into it. The spec is supposedly 70* so you need to recut a drill bit to that angle.
    I like this idea. But maybe instead of threaded rod I might try just drilling through the toe lug and installing metal tubing with epoxy. Find metal tubing with an appropriate ID for tech toes and see how it goes. I have other touring boots but I’d love to try touring in Dobermans without spending $300 to find out a race boot with no walk mode sucks for uphilling.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    …but I’d love to try touring in Dobermans without spending $300 to find out a race boot with no walk mode sucks for uphilling.

TGR Forums
    Race boots with no walk mode will be absolutely awful for uphilling, are you kidding? I’ll take $150

Have you tried out some of the newer stiff touring boots out there?

I'm curious what kind of tour/conditions you have in mind when thinking about creating this kind of setup

Of course skinning in a Dobermann is not going to be fun. Especially if you are using a short shell length, the lack of cuff rearward movement will make your toes hate you.I do get where you are coming from though. If the dobie stance and fit work for you, there’s not really a tour boot anything like it.
    Scott/Garmont made a walk mode version of the Shaman that was probably close.
    I went from a Dobie to the Shaman pretty seamlessly.
    I can’t find it but I think it was a dog lotion article where someone cut the top of the spine and then screwed it to the cuff so it made a boot like this a little less miserable to walk in.

Above boot-

I have the Lange free tour with a zip fit tour liner. Skis pretty ducking great, super heavy to walk uphill but the ergonomics are ok.

Of course skinning in a Dobermann is not going to be fun. Especially if you are using a short shell length, the lack of cuff rearward movement will make your toes hate you.I do get where you are coming from though. If the dobie stance and fit work for you, there’s not really a tour boot anything like it.
    Scott/Garmont made a walk mode version of the Shaman that was probably close.
    I went from a Dobie to the Shaman pretty seamlessly.
    I can’t find it but I think it was a dog lotion article where someone cut the top of the spine and then screwed it to the cuff so it made a boot like this a little less miserable to walk in.
    The fit of a Doberman is prefect for me. When you get used to skiing a plug boot and need very minimal work to ski it, there’s no touring boot on the market that even comes close to fitting well. Narrowest boot out there is 98 last. I’m skiing 92 last. For longer tours I can ski my heavily modified touring boots, but they still ski like shit. I’ve tried on every boot on the market and they all have crappy ankle/heel retention and are too wide in the forefoot.

I thought of that too. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=263189

Weren't there issues with not having tough enough cups on the early hex screw cast setups?

consider if you build something chickenshit that breaks in the front country its pretty easy to just slid it out, go have a beer and a laugh but in the BC not at all

I think I would be contemplating routering out the toe and screwin/ gluein a real toe fitting

I’d bite the bullet on the CASTs. I love my ZBs for anything under 2 hours. It’s not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I’d bite the bullet on the CASTs. I love my ZBs for anything under 2 hours. It’s not that bad.
    Me too. I can't believe people are still thinking about doing this themselves to "save money" when CAST will do a superior job with real tech fittings for $220.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Me too. I can't believe people are still thinking about doing this themselves to "save money" when CAST will do a superior job with real tech fittings for $220.
    I was thinking this exaclty,

I understand the desire to DIY this, but you're asking for a catastrophic failure if you don't use a connected Dynafit insert, even for uphill. The pressure you put on an insert doing even an icy side hill is significant.

I toured with a guy who had done some sort of DIY tech toe insert for his plug boots for the OG CAST system. They blew up just skinning on a groomer a few months later.

$220 to have CAST do it is more than worth the money.