View Poll Results: What should we do?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, Cat is out of the bag and this is the cost of our "freedom"

    6 5.45%
  • Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

    22 20.00%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

    89 80.91%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

    41 37.27%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

    49 44.55%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

    72 65.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 123 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 725 of 3069
  1. #701
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    9,479
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    This PAC has a high rating on Charity Navigator to anyone interested.

  2. #702
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,767
    I predict we'll see a movement amongst the gravy seals for them to voluntarily "protect" schools any minute now. Probably a good thing the school year is wrapping up in many places.

  3. #703
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    8,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    No, we could do everything we need to do that every other country has done. Just saying it can't be done is meaningless. We're not as insensible a country as the radical right/gun lobby would have you believe. Get rid of the guns and the problem goes away. It's literally as simple as that. Maybe we would never reach NZ levels of gun safety, but we could get to Canada levels. Certainly.
    Like we got rid drugs in the 80s and 90s?

    This is not a realistic solution. Not even close.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  4. #704
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    TennesseeJed
    Posts
    10,665
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Manufacture of automatics was banned. Still perfectly legal to own a pre-'86 auto. But don't let me get in the way of you being a smug twat.
    Im well aware of what it takes to own a Pre-86 machine gun. They cost upwards of 30k-150k. I don't think transferable machine guns are an issue.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

    Brain dead and made of money.

  5. #705
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Manufacture of automatics was banned. Still perfectly legal to own a pre-'86 auto. But don't let me get in the way of you being a smug twat.
    And how often outside of Michael Mann movies are those autos actually used to commit a crime? I don't "get" the gun enthusiasts, but the school shooters are angsty teenagers that were able to buy semi-autos super easy. I think making those as hard to get as autos would be a great step.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Imagine the whole country under NYC gun laws--virtually no one aside from law enforcement allowed to carry, no sales, nothing else.
    NYC has a lower murder rate than a lot of big cities, but is still 2x the city I live in (Missoula) despite having a much lower gun ownership rate than we do. I know a lot of domestic violence victims that would not be willing to give up their handguns under almost any circumstances.

  6. #706
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    9,479
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I predict we'll see a movement amongst the gravy seals for them to voluntarily "protect" schools any minute now. Probably a good thing the school year is wrapping up in many places.
    Plenty of work for them at churches, concerts, and nightclubs.

  7. #707
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    11,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    What on earth are you talking about?
    Thereís a social contract, we donít kill each other and we should all care about each otherís well being. After decades of inaction in gun control, mental health, climate change, wealth inequity, division and the last three years of hate in regards to elections and measures to combat the spread of covid it seems the social contract is null and void. No one cares about anyone else anymore and it seems itís every man or woman for themselves. Iím no longer hopeful that anything will be done to prevent the further decline of our once great country and the rest of the world for that matter.

    This latest tragedy is just another symptom of an irreversible decline from what were once universally understood social norms. Itís really disgusting.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #708
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Plenty of work for them at churches, concerts, and nightclubs.
    This is the kind of opportunity they've been masturbating about for years.

  9. #709
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    TennesseeJed
    Posts
    10,665
    Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    And how often outside of Michael Mann movies are those autos actually used to commit a crime? I don't "get" the gun enthusiasts, but the school shooters are angsty teenagers that were able to buy semi-autos super easy. I think making those as hard to get as autos would be a great step.
    They aren't. Pre-86 machine guns are investments now. No one is buying a 50k select fire M16 and using it for a mass shooting.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

    Brain dead and made of money.

  10. #710
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In your Dreams
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Like we got rid drugs in the 80s and 90s?

    This is not a realistic solution. Not even close.
    How about get rid of the ability for any Tom, Dick or Harry to carry a "Assault" rifle willy nilly. Like require a registration to own and use in the public square. Like a car. I can own it and use it at a track but need to register and show some competence on public roads.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

  11. #711
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,572
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Manufacture of automatics was banned. Still perfectly legal to own a pre-'86 auto. But don't let me get in the way of you being a smug twat.
    And bump stocks were legal until 2019 when they were banned by **checks notes** the Trump admin. Funny how that ban barely caused a stir among the 2A crowd.

  12. #712
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    18,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    And bump stocks were legal until 2019 when they were banned by **checks notes** the Trump admin. Funny how that ban barely caused a stir among the 2A crowd.
    Binary trigger is more useful than bump stock for rapid controlled fire. And even then, it's not full auto.

  13. #713
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    3,893
    Because so many school shooters are either in school or just out of school themselves it seems like lockdown drills, locking doors, or hardening entrances essentially becomes ‘taking off your shoes in airport security.’ An 18 year old shooter had lockdown drills growing up. They've been through school drills as kids. They know the entry procedures, the weak spots and the hiding places.

    If anything security procedures and drills are giving some of them ideas, something to fantasize about.

    In this the most recent shooting where the shooter reportedly 'barricaded' himself inside a classroom the so called barricade was quite possibly a heavy steel door with a lock on the inside specifically designed to keep an active shooter out. As a result it took longer to breach the classroom because authorities couldn't kick the door in and instead had to locate a key.

  14. #714
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    18,725
    Probably score some free guns in the cars in the parking lots during tRumps NRA convention appearance: https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/...tail=emaildkre

  15. #715
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,572
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Like we got rid drugs in the 80s and 90s?

    This is not a realistic solution. Not even close.
    Guns are lot harder to illicitly manufacture and smuggle than drugs. But, I am generally inclined to agree that it's not a realistic solution.

    It would be nice if we could apply the same "Responsible law-abiding citizens should not be punished because of the actions of a miniscule minority of stupid and/or crazy people" gun logic to drugs, though. At least that would be intellectually consistent.

  16. #716
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    25,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Im well aware of what it takes to own a Pre-86 machine gun. They cost upwards of 30k-150k. I don't think transferable machine guns are an issue.
    Do you ride a unicycle much?
    Because your backpedaling without owning your fail is awesome.

    You must be in sales.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  17. #717
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,798
    Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    And how often outside of Michael Mann movies are those autos actually used to commit a crime? I don't "get" the gun enthusiasts, but the school shooters are angsty teenagers that were able to buy semi-autos super easy. I think making those as hard to get as autos would be a great step.
    Fully agreed. I'm not overly concerned with additional restrictions on autos; I was just responding to B.S. who was implying that autos are already banned. If semi-autos had the same restrictions as full autos, we'd be in better shape.

  18. #718
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    20,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Turns out the cops didn't follow him in. The started tasing parents trying to enter.

    https://youtu.be/dyXtymq-A6w
    That is a terrible look for the police.

    So is the fact that a bunch of overweight officers in body armor with AR-15s standing around threatening the parents with tazers instead of what they should be doing: breaching the school, neutralizing the shooter to stop the slaughter, and getting medical care to the dying children.

    Untrained unarmed parents willing to go up against a gunman while trained, armed, and armored cops, charged with defending the public, stop the parents instead of the gunman!

    Fucking cowards!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  19. #719
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Turns out the cops didn't follow him in. The started tasing parents trying to enter.

    https://youtu.be/dyXtymq-A6w
    What in the actual fuck is this?!?!?!

    Easy! Easy! Folks! Easy, take it easy, heíll run out of ammo or get bored with the killing of people pretty soon. Just let it run itís course. Donít pay attention to him while heís throwing a tantrum, thatís what he wants.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  20. #720
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    16,336
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Like we got rid drugs in the 80s and 90s?

    This is not a realistic solution. Not even close.
    Maybe we try to do what Australia did in response to mass shootings: https://fortune.com/2018/02/20/austr...ntrol-success/

    Why is it possible for other countries to fix their gun violence issues, mostly, but we act like it's impossible in the US? That's not necessarily for you specifically...but just a question to the TGR masses.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  21. #721
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    11,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Maybe we try to do what Australia did in response to mass shootings: https://fortune.com/2018/02/20/austr...ntrol-success/

    Why is it possible for other countries to fix their gun violence issues, mostly, but we act like it's impossible in the US? That's not necessarily for you specifically...but just a question to the TGR masses.
    Because FREEDOM!!!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #722
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    6,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Was locking the doors included in "hardening" the schools?
    Can locked doors be unlocked? Maybe chain Ďem shut.

  23. #723
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    20,050
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Can locked doors be unlocked? Maybe chain ‘em shut.
    It is not like the crazed gunman was going to pick the locks.

    You have gone from shrill to obtuse, and not just in this thread. It has be especially bad lately. You are not quite to leroy levels but you are trying very very hard. It is sad, because unlike SJG, you are not mentally handicapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  24. #724
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    25,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    You have gone from shrill to obtuse.

    It is not like the crazed gunman was going to pick the locks.
    Couldn't she just shoot them off?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  25. #725
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    18,725
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Because so many school shooters are either in school or just out of school themselves it seems like lockdown drills, locking doors, or hardening entrances essentially becomes ‘taking off your shoes in airport security.’ An 18 year old shooter had lockdown drills growing up. They've been through school drills as kids. They know the entry procedures, the weak spots and the hiding places.

    If anything security procedures and drills are giving some of them ideas, something to fantasize about.

    In this the most recent shooting where the shooter reportedly 'barricaded' himself inside a classroom the so called barricade was quite possibly a heavy steel door with a lock on the inside specifically designed to keep an active shooter out. As a result it took longer to breach the classroom because authorities couldn't kick the door in and instead had to locate a key.
    This is a really good point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •