View Poll Results: What should we do?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, Cat is out of the bag and this is the cost of our "freedom"

    6 5.45%
  • Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

    22 20.00%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

    89 80.91%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

    41 37.27%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

    49 44.55%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

    72 65.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 3069
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    That'll get you 10 years and 10k fine. It's known as an unregistered machine gun.
    The law is "up to 10 years". More likely 4 years, out in 2.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    TennesseeJed
    Posts
    10,665
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Guns are tools. Tools for killing things. There is no reason for a private citizen to have a tool for killing more than deer or wildlife. I have no hard on for regulations, I just see a lot of people dying needlessly so gun fetishists can have their tacticool toys. That's not an appropriate tradeoff.
    Ban all guns? Nah, that disrespects a lot of the appropriate aforementioned tool usage for hunting and wildlife population control (as well as home defense with shotguns if you want to go there).

    Per you "The biggest flaw in many of your ideas about guns is they just aren't going to happen. "ban everything but bolt actions" is so fucking far out there and radical all that idea is going to do is create division and have a negative effect on our country as a whole." - Radical to who? You, as a gun fetishist. That's it. What fundamental need do you have for an AR15 that a bolt action cannot satisfy? Seriously. Not some imaginary situation you gin up, but real shit that happens on at least a yearly basis that has citable data or statistics that justify the need. The idea that something like that is seen as radical likely means you're part of the problem. Maybe you should learn how to aim instead of jerking it to your rifle.
    An outright ban is highly unlikely and therefore kind of pointless to talk about. In the case all "assault rifles" were banned, the best case scenario would be a 3% drop in the number of firearms in the US and a 1% drop in deaths. That's best case.

    My idea of a Class 3 designation is much better. Tax revenue every time the gun changes hands.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

    Brain dead and made of money.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Way East Tennessee
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    And what about bump stocks, firing conversions and other methods that speed up semi auto fire rates? Those are insanely common.
    Come on man.
    All now illegal per executive order through the ATF. Doesn't stop criminals and depraved minds from doing anything. And how many bump stocks have you seen in real life. I am a firearms collector and have never used or much less seen one.

    We can't fix morality, depraved minds, and attention seekers by passing laws.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,229
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Class 3 designation for assault rifles, federal, state, and local registration upon ownership on all firearms that needs to transfer when sold, insurance requirement on all firearms.
    implement registration database at the same time as a buyback program and push penalties that grow over time for unlicensed guns to give people time to adjust and motivation to get rid of them. licensing and registration fees would fund the buyback. registration to be enforced with validation by cops to ensure they are also being stored properly in a locked safe like rcmp does. it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle but the guns have to come off the street but we should know where they are, they should be more difficult to acquire and over time there will be less gun crime (we have so many guns now because of the gqp and nra, it will take time). people who possess illegal guns or participate in straw man purchases need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, this has unfortunately been neglected.

    something like that.

    eta: insurance too
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Planning an exit
    Posts
    5,747
    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    All now illegal per executive order through the ATF. Doesn't stop criminals and depraved minds from doing anything. And how many bump stocks have you seen in real life. I am a firearms collector and have never used or much less seen one.

    We can't fix morality, depraved minds, and attention seekers by passing laws.
    Betcha Antifa had them when they were heading to your hood last year (two years ago).

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In your Dreams
    Posts
    435
    We're not quoting leroi today
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    What's not a good look is gun control types that can't properly explain themselves. If you are going to negotiate around with peoples gun rights, then at least gain some knowledge on the topic.

    I'd be all for a Class 3 designation of the 10 million or so assault rifles in the US.

    10,000,000 x $200.00 tax stamp = $2,000,000,000.00 in tax revenue

    I would also suggest that schools get serious about access control. The most achievable and logical solution is to lock school doors. Yes it can happen elsewhere, but at least it won't be in a school.
    They have already us that access control, armed teachers, school guards, mental health, etc are the problem and easy solutions.


    They don’t do anything to systematically pay for and implement any of that either so at this point I’m pretty sure they just don’t care.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I mean here in the US. There are no gun buyback programs. What are "assault rifle" owners supposed to do with them in our current reality?
    You push for better regulation and control if you want school shootings and mass shootings to stop. You shut down bullshit like people illicitly selling auto sears/etc. when you see them. I doubt many will do that as they see themselves as "rightful owners", but it's what I think people should do. I don't think anyone is specifically wrong for owning an AR15 or its ilk, we just all need to make it clear to political leadership on both sides that if nothing is done, they get voted out, then follow through. Like I originally said though, I expect near zero of that to happen because the culture of fear and division is currently making bacon for the GOP.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    All now illegal per executive order through the ATF. Doesn't stop criminals and depraved minds from doing anything. And how many bump stocks have you seen in real life. I am a firearms collector and have never used or much less seen one.

    We can't fix morality, depraved minds, and attention seekers by passing laws.
    You can fix the level of force multiplication they have access to.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sandy, sl,ut
    Posts
    8,668
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Guns are tools. Tools for killing things. There is no reason for a private citizen to have a tool for killing more than deer or wildlife. I have no hard on for regulations, I just see a lot of people dying needlessly so gun fetishists can have their tacticool toys. That's not an appropriate tradeoff.
    Ban all guns? Nah, that disrespects a lot of the appropriate aforementioned tool usage for hunting and wildlife population control (as well as home defense with shotguns if you want to go there).

    Per you "The biggest flaw in many of your ideas about guns is they just aren't going to happen. "ban everything but bolt actions" is so fucking far out there and radical all that idea is going to do is create division and have a negative effect on our country as a whole." - Radical to who? You, as a gun fetishist. That's it. What fundamental need do you have for an AR15 that a bolt action cannot satisfy? Seriously. Not some imaginary situation you gin up, but real shit that happens on at least a yearly basis that has citable data or statistics that justify the need. The idea that something like that is seen as radical likely means you're part of the problem. Maybe you should learn how to aim instead of jerking it to your rifle.
    There are no reasons....

    Actually there are lots and lots of reasons. You might disagree with them, but to say there just aren't reasons is idiotic.



    This country would be a lot better off if people stopped doing this, saying that people who disagree with them have just NO grpound to stand on.

    There are reasons for gun control. I disagree with them but I can still see value in the reasons.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

    "I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In your Dreams
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post

    We can't fix morality, depraved minds, and attention seekers by passing laws.
    Yes we can. I wonder how many school counselors and advisors there are at the shooters HS? What active mental health programs did they have for kids like him? We're too stupid and greedy to spend money on kids. So lock we need to up your toys with laws or sacrifice kids for 2A. Let SCOTUS call it the "Well Regulated" part of 2A.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,164
    ten million assault rifles, Bobby - ?

    why ?

    reactively,
    make-sure it is unloaded, lay it in your driveway and destroy it with a sledgehammer.
    it would probably be safer to cut it into pieces with a hacksaw...

    ( I was going to say turn it in to law enforcement for destruction, But - )


    per Steve Kerr, background checks -
    the gun lobby will vigorously defend (anyone's) 'right to bear arms' , but the Constitution is not the Bill of Rights.

    I am saddened by the individuals that join a conversation like this to quickly howl about 'taking guns away' -

    A good start would be just making it more difficult for some to acquire firearms in the future...

    Twenty more killed.

    tj

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sandy, sl,ut
    Posts
    8,668
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    You push for better regulation and control if you want school shootings and mass shootings to stop. You shut down bullshit like people illicitly selling auto sears/etc. when you see them. I doubt many will do that as they see themselves as "rightful owners", but it's what I think people should do. I don't think anyone is specifically wrong for owning an AR15 or its ilk, we just all need to make it clear to political leadership on both sides that if nothing is done, they get voted out, then follow through. Like I originally said though, I expect near zero of that to happen because the culture of fear and division is currently making bacon for the GOP.
    I have never encountered anyone illegally selling auto sears. This is a moral panic with little basis in reality. Its like being scared of witches and satanists.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

    "I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    What are "assault rifle" owners supposed to do with them in our current reality?
    Destroy them

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sandy, sl,ut
    Posts
    8,668
    I'm going to make myself a security blanket made out of semi auto shotguns and rifles sewn together and sleep like a babe under it every night.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

    "I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Yes we can. I wonder how many school counselors and advisors there are at the shooters HS? What active mental health programs did they have for kids like him? We're too stupid and greedy to spend money on kids. So lock we up your toys with laws. Let SCOTUS call it the "Well Regulated" part of 2A.
    Again, unless the GOP today helps institute universal background checks (talk about low hanging fruit), pay for security upgrades across the country, and expands mental health care access to all we can all be assured that all of this other talk about big Pharma, arming teachers, Americas mental health issues, etc is just chaff. A distraction to get through the moment.

    It’s pretty simple, most Americans do not want to play Russian roulette with a mass school shooting at their kids school.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    We can't fix morality, depraved minds, and attention seekers by passing laws.
    Yeah, because mass gun shootings happen all the time in schools all over the world. Can't be fixed. No solution.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,344
    They say “personal responsibility” when they really mean “not my problem”

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Depends on the time of year
    Posts
    324
    Australia Enjoys Another Peaceful Day Under Oppressive Gun Control Regime


    Due to the nation’s controversial and oppressive gun restrictions, no one has died as a result of a mass-shooting from an automatic or semi-automatic weapon on Australian soil today for the 9,523rd day in a row.

    North Betoota cinema attendant, Christina Upton can’t believe it has been a whole 26 years and 30 days since a heavily armed white Australian male decided to shoot at a crowd of unsuspecting Australian civilians for no reason.

    She says the peaceful two decades that have followed are “probably” because the Australian government decided to strip her of a God-given right to own projectile weaponry capable of shooting down helicopters.

    “Yeah, I mean the Yanks come across as sick people. This year there have been more mass shootings in America than calendar dates… but it wasn’t that long ago that Australia had postal workers holding their entire office hostage with AR-15s."

    Ms Upton, who claims to be able to walk freely outside of her home without fear of being killed by a mass shooter, believes that God-given rights probably play a bigger role in America’s mass shootings than Americans think.

    “I don’t think America should be so hard on itself about the mental state of thousands of lonely white losers. We have those people too,”

    “…just in our country those people don’t have access to Russian-made automatic assault rifles that have been invented purely to help military personnel win wars."

    “If I was in America, I’d be terrified of working in a cinema – for fear that one of these losers would use their God-given rights to murder me in cold blood."

    Local Betoota cop, Rick, says that this is because idiots have a harder time getting their hands on machine guns than criminals.

    “I think America needs to realise that it’s not really the criminals and gangsters you need to worry about as such. I’d be more concerned about the indoor types.”

    “Criminals use guns to help their efforts in making money through crime – they have much less interest in killing you for the sake of it,”

    “Weirdos use guns to shoot up medical centres and elementary schools for no reason other than the fact that they want to use their God-given rights,”

    “In Australia our weirdos are forced to write stern letters to newspaper editors and politicians."

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    There are no reasons....

    Actually there are lots and lots of reasons. You might disagree with them, but to say there just aren't reasons is idiotic.



    This country would be a lot better off if people stopped doing this, saying that people who disagree with them have just NO grpound to stand on.

    There are reasons for gun control. I disagree with them but I can still see value in the reasons.
    Ok, then what are the reasons? I set a pretty low bar - show me reasons that have a basis in reality via data of some sort. Not sentiment, not feelings, but something that could weigh on the other end of the scale from dead kids and citizens. It would be inappropriate to say that my feelings or anyone elses are worth more than a person's whole life. That's what we're talking about here. Not a battle of rhetoric. Not a "who's viewpoint is best?". What is worth killing people for, and if it's not worth killing for, how do we fix it?

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    An outright ban is highly unlikely and therefore kind of pointless to talk about. In the case all "assault rifles" were banned, the best case scenario would be a 3% drop in the number of firearms in the US and a 1% drop in deaths. That's best case.

    My idea of a Class 3 designation is much better. Tax revenue every time the gun changes hands.
    Gonna need a cite on those stats.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Planning an exit
    Posts
    5,747
    God damn it. If you want to reply to Leroy go ahead and argue with a brain dead narcissist but don't quote him. Some of us have him on ignore because it's the same dumb ass schtick he's been strumming for years.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    They have already us that access control, armed teachers, school guards, mental health, etc are the problem and easy solutions.


    They don’t do anything to systematically pay for and implement any of that either so at this point I’m pretty sure they just don’t care.
    No armed teachers at the high school I teach at but we do have a school resource officer/cop and locked doors with key cards access. We also have about a dozen staff that offer kids free, regular mental health care and therapy.

    We often to fight every year to keep the school cop and counselors/therapists in the budget. Tax payers see things like this in the school budget and immediately think its a waste of money and resources. Meanwhile, teenagers these days are more anxious, medicated, confused and easily influenced as ever. Coming out of COVID lock down has been hell on kids' mental health.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    What can your community do tomorrow? To not throw everything possible at this problem, now that’s offensive.

    Lots of retired cops and sheriffs who’d work that job for 30k a yr.
    I don't think children should have to attend schools that are completely locked down with armed guards. That's not school, that's jail.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sandy, sl,ut
    Posts
    8,668
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Ok, then what are the reasons? I set a pretty low bar - show me reasons that have a basis in reality via data of some sort. Not sentiment, not feelings, but something that could weigh on the other end of the scale from dead kids and citizens. It would be inappropriate to say that my feelings or anyone elses are worth more than a person's whole life. That's what we're talking about here. Not a battle of rhetoric. Not a "who's viewpoint is best?". What is worth killing people for, and if it's not worth killing for, how do we fix it?
    This is rhetoric.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

    "I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •