• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 295 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Class 3 designation for assault rifles, federal, state, and local registration upon ownership on all firearms that needs to transfer when sold, insurance requirement on all firearms.
    implement registration database at the same time as a buyback program and push penalties that grow over time for unlicensed guns to give people time to adjust and motivation to get rid of them. licensing and registration fees would fund the buyback. registration to be enforced with validation by cops to ensure they are also being stored properly in a locked safe like rcmp does. it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle but the guns have to come off the street but we should know where they are, they should be more difficult to acquire and over time there will be less gun crime (we have so many guns now because of the gqp and nra, it will take time). people who possess illegal guns or participate in straw man purchases need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, this has unfortunately been neglected.

something like that.

eta: insurance too
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    All now illegal per executive order through the ATF. Doesn't stop criminals and depraved minds from doing anything. And how many bump stocks have you seen in real life. I am a firearms collector and have never used or much less seen one.

We can't fix morality, depraved minds, and attention seekers by passing laws.
    Betcha Antifa had them when they were heading to your hood last year (two years ago).

We're not quoting leroi today
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I mean here in the US. There are no gun buyback programs. What are "assault rifle" owners supposed to do with them in our current reality?
    You push for better regulation and control if you want school shootings and mass shootings to stop. You shut down bullshit like people illicitly selling auto sears/etc. when you see them. I doubt many will do that as they see themselves as "rightful owners", but it's what I think people should do. I don't think anyone is specifically wrong for owning an AR15 or its ilk, we just all need to make it clear to political leadership on both sides that if nothing is done, they get voted out, then follow through. Like I originally said though, I expect near zero of that to happen because the culture of fear and division is currently making bacon for the GOP.

All now illegal per executive order through the ATF. Doesn't stop criminals and depraved minds from doing anything. And how many bump stocks have you seen in real life. I am a firearms collector and have never used or much less seen one.

You can fix the level of force multiplication they have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Guns are tools. Tools for killing things. There is no reason for a private citizen to have a tool for killing more than deer or wildlife. I have no hard on for regulations, I just see a lot of people dying needlessly so gun fetishists can have their tacticool toys. That's not an appropriate tradeoff.
    Ban all guns? Nah, that disrespects a lot of the appropriate aforementioned tool usage for hunting and wildlife population control (as well as home defense with shotguns if you want to go there).

Per you "The biggest flaw in many of your ideas about guns is they just aren't going to happen. "ban everything but bolt actions" is so fucking far out there and radical all that idea is going to do is create division and have a negative effect on our country as a whole." - Radical to who? You, as a gun fetishist. That's it. What fundamental need do you have for an AR15 that a bolt action cannot satisfy? Seriously. Not some imaginary situation you gin up, but real shit that happens on at least a yearly basis that has citable data or statistics that justify the need. The idea that something like that is seen as radical likely means you're part of the problem. Maybe you should learn how to aim instead of jerking it to your rifle.
    There are no reasons....

Actually there are lots and lots of reasons. You might disagree with them, but to say there just aren't reasons is idiotic.

This country would be a lot better off if people stopped doing this, saying that people who disagree with them have just NO grpound to stand on.

There are reasons for gun control. I disagree with them but I can still see value in the reasons.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Yes we can. I wonder how many school counselors and advisors there are at the shooters HS? What active mental health programs did they have for kids like him? We're too stupid and greedy to spend money on kids. So lock we need to up your toys with laws or sacrifice kids for 2A. Let SCOTUS call it the "Well Regulated" part of 2A.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

ten million assault rifles, Bobby - ?

why ?

reactively,
    make-sure it is unloaded, lay it in your driveway and destroy it with a sledgehammer.
    it would probably be safer to cut it into pieces with a hacksaw...

( I was going to say turn it in to law enforcement for destruction, But - )

per Steve Kerr, background checks -
    the gun lobby will vigorously defend (anyone's) 'right to bear arms' , but the Constitution is not the Bill of Rights.

I am saddened by the individuals that join a conversation like this to quickly howl about 'taking guns away' -

A good start would be just making it more difficult for some to acquire firearms in the future...

Twenty more killed.

tj

You push for better regulation and control if you want school shootings and mass shootings to stop. You shut down bullshit like people illicitly selling auto sears/etc. when you see them. I doubt many will do that as they see themselves as "rightful owners", but it's what I think people should do. I don't think anyone is specifically wrong for owning an AR15 or its ilk, we just all need to make it clear to political leadership on both sides that if nothing is done, they get voted out, then follow through. Like I originally said though, I expect near zero of that to happen because the culture of fear and division is currently making bacon for the GOP.
    I have never encountered anyone illegally selling auto sears. This is a moral panic with little basis in reality. Its like being scared of witches and satanists.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

What are "assault rifle" owners supposed to do with them in our current reality?
    Destroy them

I'm going to make myself a security blanket made out of semi auto shotguns and rifles sewn together and sleep like a babe under it every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Yes we can. I wonder how many school counselors and advisors there are at the shooters HS? What active mental health programs did they have for kids like him? We're too stupid and greedy to spend money on kids. So lock we up your toys with laws. Let SCOTUS call it the "Well Regulated" part of 2A.
    Again, unless the GOP today helps institute universal background checks (talk about low hanging fruit), pay for security upgrades across the country, and expands mental health care access to all we can all be assured that all of this other talk about big Pharma, arming teachers, Americas mental health issues, etc is just chaff. A distraction to get through the moment.

It’s pretty simple, most Americans do not want to play Russian roulette with a mass school shooting at their kids school.

Yeah, because mass gun shootings happen all the time in schools all over the world. Can't be fixed. No solution.

They say “personal responsibility” when they really mean “not my problem”

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    There are no reasons....

Actually there are lots and lots of reasons. You might disagree with them, but to say there just aren't reasons is idiotic.

This country would be a lot better off if people stopped doing this, saying that people who disagree with them have just NO grpound to stand on.

There are reasons for gun control. I disagree with them but I can still see value in the reasons.
    Ok, then what are the reasons? I set a pretty low bar - show me reasons that have a basis in reality via data of some sort. Not sentiment, not feelings, but something that could weigh on the other end of the scale from dead kids and citizens. It would be inappropriate to say that my feelings or anyone elses are worth more than a person's whole life. That's what we're talking about here. Not a battle of rhetoric. Not a "who's viewpoint is best?". What is worth killing people for, and if it's not worth killing for, how do we fix it?

An outright ban is highly unlikely and therefore kind of pointless to talk about. In the case all "assault rifles" were banned, the best case scenario would be a 3% drop in the number of firearms in the US and a 1% drop in deaths. That's best case.

My idea of a Class 3 designation is much better. Tax revenue every time the gun changes hands.
    Gonna need a cite on those stats.

God damn it. If you want to reply to Leroy go ahead and argue with a brain dead narcissist but don't quote him. Some of us have him on ignore because it's the same dumb ass schtick he's been strumming for years.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    They have already us that access control, armed teachers, school guards, mental health, etc are the problem and easy solutions.

They don’t do anything to systematically pay for and implement any of that either so at this point I’m pretty sure they just don’t care.
    No armed teachers at the high school I teach at but we do have a school resource officer/cop and locked doors with key cards access. We also have about a dozen staff that offer kids free, regular mental health care and therapy.

We often to fight every year to keep the school cop and counselors/therapists in the budget. Tax payers see things like this in the school budget and immediately think its a waste of money and resources. Meanwhile, teenagers these days are more anxious, medicated, confused and easily influenced as ever. Coming out of COVID lock down has been hell on kids' mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    What can your community do tomorrow? To not throw everything possible at this problem, now that’s offensive.

Lots of retired cops and sheriffs who’d work that job for 30k a yr.
    I don't think children should have to attend schools that are completely locked down with armed guards. That's not school, that's jail.

Ok, then what are the reasons? I set a pretty low bar - show me reasons that have a basis in reality via data of some sort. Not sentiment, not feelings, but something that could weigh on the other end of the scale from dead kids and citizens. It would be inappropriate to say that my feelings or anyone elses are worth more than a person's whole life. That's what we're talking about here. Not a battle of rhetoric. Not a "who's viewpoint is best?". What is worth killing people for, and if it's not worth killing for, how do we fix it?
    This is rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    God damn it. If you want to reply to Leroy go ahead and argue with a brain dead narcissist but don't quote him. Some of us have him on ignore because it's the same dumb ass schtick he's been strumming for years.
    Narcissts like controlling others, and get mad when other people have their own ideas.

We're caught in a vicious cycle of "I want to have an arsenal capable of committing mass mayhem because that other guy/gal (or the gubbermint) has an arsenal and I don't trust "them". Leaving the decision to folks at the individual level will always result in "sure, just in case, even if I don't really need it now" mentality. We need our representatives to decide together FOR SOCIETY what's best for civilized society instead of what's most likely to stuff their campaign coffers and get them re elected. This holds true for the big pharm and big energy issues as well..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Tax payers see things like a school budget and immediately think its a waste of money and resources.
    FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    We're caught in a vicious cycle of "I want to have an arsenal capable of committing mass mayhem because that other guy/gal (or the gubbermint) has an arsenal and I don't trust "them". Leaving the decision to folks at the individual level will always result in "sure, just in case, even if I don't really need it now" mentality. We need our representatives to decide together FOR SOCIETY what's best for civilized society instead of what's most likely to stuff their campaign coffers and get them re elected. This holds true for the big pharm and big energy issues as well..
    Actually I think its more about, I do trust my fellow citizens to own guns and don't feel the need to be controlling of other people.

A simple risk to reward assessment shows that the death tolls when government oppresses an unarmed population soar into the millions. Sure I don't need it right now, thats the whole point. As long as we have more than half the world's firearms there won't be a cambodia here.

If you really cared you’d investigate the people buying the jigs/etc to perform the conversion. Not sure if the gunhumpers are lieing or stupid (nahhh several of them are both) but it is a thriving little industry locatable via google. It’s just a filibuster from them