• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 39 of 295 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Attachment 417489

That's a lot of money spent to have officers appear to hang outside and taze/handcuff parents. Maybe take some of those funds (call it defunding?) and spend it on mental health care for kids/teenagers.
    Maybe SWAT in this case means...

Strangely Waiting And Tazering

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Attachment 417490

https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/stat...uB9aeKMcpk4oAw

Seems reasonable? (Maybe I just think that because I’m Canadian.)

Would any of the gun owners here personally object?
    Would not object.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'd need to consult with your last partner to OK that. What's his name and address?
    Gun nut, check.

Homophobe, check.

I can’t remember, what’s the 3rd pillar again?!?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Attachment 417490

no.

I find it funny to substitute cigarettes/tobacco for guns in this thread. You can easily find the same stupid arguments repeated

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    no.

I find it funny to substitute cigarettes/tobacco for guns in this thread. You can easily find the same stupid arguments repeated
    And any other thread about my rights vs. your rights. Big Tobacco trained us well.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Gun nut, check.

Homophobe, check.

He's had some mysoginist rants too.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Gun nut, check.

Homophobe, check.

One has to believe in at least 3 conspiracy AND have anger management issues (or at least have faith in sky fairies)

Attachment 417490

No objection as long as my guns don’t get confiscated because I grow and consume cannabis in a legal state.

Gun control in the “Wild West” was more strict than today. Example - The infamous gunfight at the OK Corral occurred because the Clantons and their buddies refused to turn in their weapons per city ordinances.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...est-180968013/

So I have to remember who I fucked in the last 2 years to be legal
    I would think that for you it would be exceptionally easy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I would think that for you it would be exceptionally easy.
    There it is!

So I have to remember who I fucked in the last 2 years to be legal? That is fucked. Ms. WHATHERFACE 1, WHATSHERFACE 8? Probably a virgin, so he's not actually lying.

And that kid has plenty of time for the waiting period, which he did have before he lit shit up, no documented history accessible of any mental shit, and could waltz through that. So what progress are you actually making? None.

In Canadian: So Sorry. People are going to do stupid shit. Get over it.
    LMAO it's not like the government knows or cares about who you've been banging in the last 2 years. Do you even know what conjugal means? Hint: It's not fucking someone in a trailer in a prison yard.

From the actual application:
    Conjugal partner includes spouses and common law partners and all
    other persons with whom you live or have lived in a similar relationship
    within the last 2 years.
    Canada has a few hoops to jump through but basically anybody can get a gun that isn't fucked up, which becomes evident when they look at your history AND you're forced to take a course led by someone looking out for this kind of shit. My buddy's got some land a little north of me and has about 30 of them. His dad and his buddy are the least gun-people I'd ever think of, and even they both own handguns they use at the local club.

In Canadian: Sorry to say but our system fucking rocks. Yours is broken. Get over it. Sent my kids on the bus this morning to school quite comfortably, which I can guaranfuckingtee isn't happening in the USA right now.

Canadas system makes way too much sense for the US of A. Was just reading this: https://www.reuters.com/world/how-ca...gs-2022-05-26/

Tldr; gun regs work in other countries.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

I mean, here's the actual application, that you fill out after taking an approved gun safety course. I would imagine someone interested in shooting up a public place may have a difficult time with filling out some of these fields. Note that the signatures you're required to obtain are all plastered with "if you think this person shouldn't have a gun call this number" types of things. There are plenty of checkmarks to obtain before you can get guns here - but for 'normal' people it's all just a formality.

Anyway, it seems to work well enough and as always something is better than nothing. No system will ever be perfect.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media...e46aae9252.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I mean, here's the actual application, that you fill out after taking an approved gun safety course. I would imagine someone interested in shooting up a public place may have a difficult time with filling out some of these fields. Note that the signatures you're required to obtain are all plastered with "if you think this person shouldn't have a gun call this number" types of things. There are plenty of checkmarks to obtain before you can get guns here - but for 'normal' people it's all just a formality.

Anyway, it seems to work well enough and as always something is better than nothing. No system will ever be perfect.

Sure, forms are nice but imagine how simple it will be to overhaul the mental health system for a country of 340M that didn't want to subsidize physical healthcare, and then attach that new system to red flag laws everyone can agree on. Oh, wait.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

If only there was something we could do...

So I have to remember who I fucked in the last 2 years to be legal?
    Self-certification begets a pretty good recco, I’d imagine

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

This form and process seems entirely reasonable to me. To paraphrase you, people who aren't fucked wouldn't have a problem being approved.

Treasury was heavily involved. We were, after all, "the money". And the Bureau of ATF was a pretty big component of federal law enforcement. So we went on a listening tour, asking people over and over again what they thought would actually reduce crime, and what they thought would actually reduce the causes of crime.

One thing that became clear, from rural sheriffs and deputies and big-city police departments alike, was that the cops were starting to get scared. They were getting scared that they were going to run into bad guys with military-grade amounts of automatic firepower, and get killed. There was unified buy-in from law enforcement nationwide that, while people really did disagree about "gun control", an assault weapons ban made sense.

We added it to the bill, and we held enough of the Democratic caucuses to push the Clinton crime bill, with all of its constructive and destructive elements, across the finish line.

And then Newt Gingrich became Speaker of the House.”

https://braddelong.substack.com/p/th...pjFUzuDLls&s=r

This private citizen seems to have done a better job than the police in Texas in preventing mass shooting escalation. Strange that the media hasn't given it more coverage (bias/narrative?):

https://wchstv.com/news/local/victim...eston-shooting

Carl, this is what frustrates me so much. There are so many reasonable things that could make a difference (many reasonable solutions are mentioned here), and instead, we are forced to listen to talking points from pols in the pockets of the NRA referencing either ambiguous and hard to fix things like 'mental health' or expensive and unlikely solutions like 'hardening' public schools.

Don't make perfect the enemy of the much improved:

Legislate 21 to buy
    Make background checks universal and better (with Obama's mental health checks)
    Enforce a mandatory waiting period

I had to wait 14 months for a new fucking fridge, people can't wait a month for a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    This private citizen seems to have done a better job than the police in Texas in preventing mass shooting escalation. Strange that the media hasn't given it more coverage (bias/narrative?):

https://wchstv.com/news/local/victim...eston-shooting

Maybe because one GGWAG anecdote is worth about as much as referencing one murder in NYC and it is very clear that more guns means more firearm fatalities?

So I have to remember who I fucked in the last 2 years to be legal? That is fucked. Ms. WHATHERFACE 1, WHATSHERFACE 8? Probably a virgin, so he's not actually lying.

And that kid has plenty of time for the waiting period, which he did have before he lit shit up, no documented history accessible of any mental shit, and could waltz through that. So what progress are you actually making? None.

In Canadian: So Sorry. People are going to do stupid shit. Get over it.
    Except his Grandparents would have objected and been notified because he lived with them. So it would have stopped it. And, it sounds like few people thought this kid having a gun was a good idea so he would have had a hard time getting two references. Finally, he wouldn’t have been able to buy AR’s with 33 round magazines. He would have been going in with a much much less effective killing weapon.

Fun fact, standard police vests do NOTHING to stop .223 rounds out of AR15s. We can expect the same "NOPE" response from them every time this happens for the foreseeable future.. They will run the other way and wait for folks with true military armor vests (like the one the Buffalo shooter wore) to show up. That's probably why they didn't go in to the school and confront the shooter and instead called for federal help..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Not only won't they go in, they won't get fired:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ck/5194831002/

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Carl, this is what frustrates me so much. There are so many reasonable things that could make a difference
    Me too. I don't know what the tangible rules should be but more abstractly, these are the deficiencies/problem areas I observe:

* very little controls or checks to prevent desperate or people in crisis or unqualified or those who pose a danger to themselves/others from attaining virtually any firearm immediately
    * institutional & cultural, ummm, frameworks that under-emphasize responsibility for control, care, use and conduct around personal firearms and further, conflict resolution expectations while armed
    * inadequate means to de-arm a person who becomes 'in crisis' or poses a danger to themselves and others

I have a personal tragedy experience where a dear friend died and that situation transcended all three^. I still don't know to process it but I can say that the US apparatus around firearms was completely inept in addressing / preventing it.

Well, the conjugal partner requirement is clearly a roadblock for the tacti-cool incels....
    but it is actually brilliant to keep those dangerous antisocial freaks from being armed.

Armed Texans standing around waiting for the feds to show up while a shooter is actively killing children suggests a lot of current American gun culture is larping and cosplay. In a sense these shootings are mimetic violence committed by an attention seeking individual who didn't get the message this was all supposed to be pretend, not real.