• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 295 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    muted was basically saying anyone with a gun is overcompensating for a tiny wee wee. To further any conversations on guns in the USA, painting with those broad strokes isn't going to go far. People need to remember there is a whole bunch of people in the middle that would be fine with regulations that may prevent mass shootings. Calling those people macho and not understanding their reasons for firearm ownership is not going to help.
    you aren’t wrong, but they don’t translate that position into support either way. “Reasonable” regulation isn’t a viable political concept, and that’s in part because of the inputs to it. “crime” and “warning” signs aren’t treated as things, but baubles.

i don’t think he’s necessarily wrong, cabelas used rack is full of grandpa guns that nobody wants and traded it in on something Matt black and new. Maybe after hearing of a coworkers uncle that blew through 5-figures of inheritance on guns and prepper paranoia I just think it’s something not good they should acknowledge

If only there was something we could do...

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    There's a lot of discussion in this thread about the fact mass shootings account for only a small portion of gun deaths. Mass shootings on the other hand also evoke large policy responses but not in a way most outside observers might expect. Instead of increasing gun control, mass shootings in America result in a loosening of gun restrictions.

In reality Democrat-controlled legislatures tend not to enact restrictions after a mass shooting while Republican-controlled legislatures loosen restrictions: "when looking at bills that were actually enacted into law, the impact of mass shootings depends on the party in power. The annual number of laws that loosen gun restrictions doubles in the year following a mass shooting in states with Republican-controlled legislatures. We find no significant effect of mass shootings on laws enacted when there is a Democrat-controlled legislature, nor do we find a significant effect of mass shootings on the enactment of laws that tighten gun restrictions. " + "This effect increases with the extent of media coverage."

Source: https://www.nber.org/papers/w26187
    I remember well being in a mall type sporting goods store in Reno right after sandy hook. The massive gun dept was like filenes basement during the big sale and practically sold out. That said everything to me about guns in America. It’s the land of chicken hawk cowards
    Last edited by mcski; 05-25-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    You guys can condescend people's reasons as much as you want but you're not going to be able to overturn the second, any gun control you want to actually pull off is going to be things gun owners can support, not your favorite emotionally gratifying most radical disruptive ideas. In order to do that you're going to have to come from a place of understanding your ideological adversaries and finding ways to find common cause in things you can both support. If you can't do that you should tend your own garden and vent your anger into a pillow first.

Perfect microcosm of america today.
    I think you're right here. Just like everything else nowadays the middle ground seems to get completely trounced on by the extreme views on either side. As a result nothing ever gets done and people just become further entrenched.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    4) You, Canada, how are things up there? You open?
    Knock knock knock - “Hey, it’s Dave. Let me in man.”

“Who, Dave? Dave’s not here man.”

Seriously though, this tragedy breaks my heart. And reading much of this thread angers me not a little. Big hugs to my 9yo daughter the past couple days.

Two tropes often repeated about gun control are 'Chicago' and 'Why don't we enforce the laws on the books?' The problem with both arguments is the laws are purposely toothless making it possible for gun sellers to get off easy even after repeatedly selling guns to criminals:

Over the past two decades, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has let some of the Chicago area’s most notorious gun sellers off the hook for serious violations of federal law that included selling to straw purchasers, transferring guns without background checks and doctoring sales records.

ATF can revoke a gun dealer’s license only if the seller willfully violates the law. That’s different from most areas of civil and criminal law, in which defendants can’t use ignorance as an excuse for wrongdoing. To revoke a license, ATF inspectors have to prove a gun dealer intentionally disregarded the rules.

Proving that a dealer disregarded these laws intentionally can be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think you're right here. Just like everything else nowadays the middle ground seems to get completely trounced on by the extreme views on either side. As a result nothing ever gets done and people just become further entrenched.
    Of course in the real world gun owners like Leroy won’t support a fucking thing, because he’s an extremist freak. I own a gun, but don’t count, because I don’t identify ammosexual

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I no longer care about arguing with people about universal background checks, abortions, climate change, etc. It doesn't work. Simply volunteer to help get voters out in mass in a few Senate swing states and these assholes (a controlling minority) are completely marginalized. We're so close it's only a matter of a time, but the sooner the better. It's the only realistic solution. Not saying the Democrats are perfect by any means, but at least they aren't the GOP.

more and more, I am Here with the first part of this - And I wonder and I worry. with the 'conservatives' now holding a 'super-majority' on the SC, does it really matter ( for the next six to twelve years... )

The Constitution was intended to be a living document., And the Democracy was intended to be a representative, citizen government - That's Why Washington declined to be appointed king
    ( why is the president the only one with a term limit ) ...
    ... 'of the people, by the people, and for the people... ' has rung-hollow to me for a long time. ...

anyway -
    I am /// the pups are going to take me for a Walk...
    my friend sent his 'Pops' into the after-Life today. Pops was Ninety-one.

amen. tj

Waiting 30-45 min for swat before entering the classroom. M
    I’d imagine they could hear what was happening inside. And I understand it would probably mean suicide for the first guy or two in the room, but Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    And Ryan was in the Navy with me. We lived in the same barracks together and sometimes sat at the same table for meals. He was a stereotypical dumb jock, and I am surprised he has attained the level he has.
    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    You're surprised a tall mediocre white dude with a strong jaw attained success? That's pretty much the story of America forever.

This is the hat, indicating his graze wound, veteran BORTAC Border Patrol agent was wearing when he breached the classroom with a tactical team:

Attachment 417382

Worth mentioning if it hasn't been already, even three good guys with three guns weren't able to stop the shooter initially "Two Uvalde police officers and a school resource officer fired at the shooter, but it did not stop him from entering the building."
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 05-25-2022 at 06:09 PM.

Gun control at local levels will never be effective gun control.. Customs and border control are required for effective gun control or really any contraband matters. It's only going to be effective at national border levels. Saying bla bla bla but Chicago/DC sure seems to get a lot of traction and I have no idea why nobody ever points out that there are no practical efforts to control the flow of guns across the city limit border at all... That's NOT "gun control".. it's lip service with no teeth..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    more and more, I am Here with the first part of this - And I wonder and I worry. with the 'conservatives' now holding a 'super-majority' on the SC, does it really matter ( for the next six to twelve years... )
    With a majority in the senate the Dems can add justices to the court.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Only if they nuke the filibuster first... and calling Manchin a democrat is questionable.. Calling Sinema anything is questionable..

yeah (yes) - but 'stacking the court' shouldn't be the 'balance' -

the senate should not have been able to prevent Garland's appointment in 2016.

( f. politics. ) skiJ

Not w Manchin and Sinema. That majority is not really a majority and def others not willing to add justices besides those two

don't pay any attention to these shootings cause it's not healthy we are a sick society in need of much help
    but was reading the wall street journal and this was at the top of the headlines just now

I was never sure of what I thought of beto orourke kind though he was a solid and kinda of total clown
    I have high praise for him today

the steve kerr shit was top too, we need lots more of this shit from lots more people

To open carry at a news conference about this shooting is the height of twistedness.

And that scumbag Cruz posturing in the spotlight.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

How long do the overlords allow us rabble to poly ass rant outside of polyass before shutting it down and moving it? Statute of limitations seems to be expanding since Ukraine..

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Republican governor blaming it on mental issues now.....the status quo will remain, nothing will change. Both parties blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    Excellent idea. Seems totally logical according to the pro life pro gun party.

There’s one party preventing sensible gun control! And those who vote for the GOP vote for this shit to continue.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    This is the hat, indicating his graze wound, veteran BORTAC Border Patrol agent was wearing when he breached the classroom with a tactical team:

Attachment 417382

Worth mentioning if it hasn't been already, even three good guys with three guns weren't able to stop the shooter initially "Two Uvalde police officers and a school resource officer fired at the shooter, but it did not stop him from entering the building."
    Awe, so that is why conservatives are calling g for four armed officers at every school in America.

Of course that leaves the churches, synagogues and grocery stores to fend for themselves.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I just want a couple bolt action hunting rifles for deer and elk (I do have some inherited family heirlooms and revolvers but don't "need" any of them). If it came down to a gun ban, I could still hunt with my bow and would be a bit grumpy but still turn in my stuff. I think both sides need to watch their alienating generalizations as I am one who has written and called my legislators for stronger firearm controls.
    Do you think the emails you send or the money you spend moves the needle more?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Only if they nuke the filibuster first... and calling Manchin a democrat is questionable.. Calling Sinema anything is questionable..
    Right, that's why I'm talking about November 2022.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Man, does that Texas governor sure come across as a greasy, do-nothing sumbitch.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Awe, so that is why conservatives are calling g for four armed officers at every school in America.

Of course that leaves the churches, synagogues and grocery stores to fend for themselves.
    School is mandated by the government for children to attend.

Grocery stores, churches, synagogues, etc are optional.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Man, does that Texas governor sure come across as a greasy, do-nothing sumbitch.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<