• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 71 of 295 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 7374
    ^^^ yup, gotta start somewhere - and now.

Yep, agreed.

Also - not making perfect comments on things should not equal "oh well, don't do anything/don't support them". Perfect being the enemy of good or better is part of what got us here. Light a fire under the asses of all the obstructionists who let us get here or kick them out of office.
    There's some correlations here for anyone with a few brain cells to rub together looking to make them: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm

Whatever they do should also repeal the ban on studying weapons. It is pure stupidity and was a bad compromise to make. If the AR ban was going to expire, so should of the ban on coming up with a shared reality based on facts. Ideology can't be allowed to trample the scientific method forever. We should also be allowed as a country to admit when we got things wrong and to try and do better. Since we are coming up with lists, they should also take bits and pieces from all of them and move. The gun issue is not just a school shooting issue, it's also a suicide and homicide issue and they need to make some progress in all areas otherwise a lot of people are going to still say "SEE, LAWS DON'T DO ANYTHING".
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by mb6f50 View Post
    So one Stabby McStabberpants is able to kill a lot of people. Versus how many mass shootings to mass stabbings?

One dude was crazy good with a knife or sword or whatever whereas 100s of average losers buy a gun and commit mass shootings.
    Don’t forget bombs.

Seems like we should work really hard on both making it harder for unhinged people to do damage and restructuring our society so fewer people are unhinged. It’s not an either/or kind of problem.

Yep, seems like a reasonable list of points from Gretch. I'd be on board. Dunfree try to take a deep breath every once in a while.

And the whole party line about mental health seems to disregard the elephant in the room: millions of lucid reasonable people have legitimate reason to be angry and hopeless because our economic model commodifies them and corrals them into virtual human feedlots and slaughterhouses.

It’s not a hard concept for me to formulate while I spend 40 hours a week shuttling miserable people from public housing and trailer parks to shit jobs and back.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Yep, seems like a reasonable list of points from Gretch. I'd be on board.
    You gotta vote for people who are going to support those points, though... and I'm not convinced that the electorate is going to do that any time soon.

If only there was something we could do...

After a few recent conversations with gun rights enthusiasts, my impression is that there will be no change without a super majority. And, when that happens, there is a certain population who will get violent to oppose the “tyranny” of any changes.

I asked what’s the difference between majority rule and tyranny when it comes to a repeal of the 2nd. The answer is that is fighting time.

They back the exaggeration & ridiculous rationales on the hard stop of a right is incontrovertible & “god given”.

There is no reasonable regulation of firearms among the believers. None.
    And yet they get offended when you point out the obvious indifference of that position to the killing of children, old people & bystanders, not to mention suicides.

If it’s the people and not the gun, why in fuck would you ever allow people unregulated access to guns?

If only there was something we could do...

Next steps are:
    1) Super majority
    2) Allow public health research
    3) Publish the results of that research & lobby the public with targeted achievable changes to gun regs to improve safety w/ a sunset clause to force reconsideration of goals & strategies
    4) Enact those regulations; enforce them & measure the public health results over 12yrs
    5) Reassess & reset
    Hopefully, see the same graph as the car safety over time graph

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Next steps are:
    1) Super majority
    3) Publish the results of that research & lobby the public with targeted achievable changes to gun regs to improve safety w/ a sunset clause to force reconsideration of goals & strategies
    4) Enact those regulations; enforce them & measure the public health results over 12yrs
    5) Reassess & reset
    Or... you, know, we could continue to elect:

After a few recent conversations with gun rights enthusiasts, my impression is that there will be no change without a super majority. And, when that happens, there is a certain population who will get violent to oppose the “tyranny” of any changes.

I asked what’s the difference between majority rule and tyranny when it comes to a repeal of the 2nd. The answer is that is fighting time.

They back the exaggeration & ridiculous rationales on the hard stop of a right is incontrovertible & “god given”.

There is no reasonable regulation of firearms among the believers. None.
    And yet they get offended when you point out the obvious indifference of that position to the killing of children, old people & bystanders, not to mention suicides.

If it’s the people and not the gun, why in fuck would you ever allow people unregulated access to guns?
    Their counter is straightforward: there are sketchy people with guns so I need guns to defend myself. Chicken and egg thing

My counter to that counter is:
    You have guns. You're own problem is solved. Sit down, shut up.

Yeah, I know, too late for any logic.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Or... you, know, we could continue to elect:

is that an ad for safe storage by responsible gun owners of america?

Don't worry the safeties are on.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Next steps are:
    1) Super majority
    5) Reassess & reset

actually i'm reconsidering this

my proposal is to allow public health research & don't ask for anything more
    that's it
    it will take a few years to get the added data & analysis
    then, with proper research in hand from actual experts, we propose targeted nationwide regulations to rein in the carnage & maybe even crime too
    [the gun lobby will probably try to game the effort and publish bullshit, but that is going on anyway...we did this already with big tobacco]

it seems like step one should be less contentious than actually placing limitations on gun access (yes, the zealots will whatabout or gaslight the lobby with slippery slope bs, but that's where we are now...)

then, when there's more substantive targeted proposals, it will be harder to defend not doing anything even tho the same arguments will be trotted out

the goal would be that to get the support of middle ground people who are willing to concede reasonable regulation to improve public safety & maintain reasonable access

and then, with public support, progress can be made beyond our currently degrading public safety issues

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Don't worry the safeties are on.
    Knowing her, the bullets are probably in backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Their counter is straightforward: there are sketchy people with guns so I need guns to defend myself. Chicken and egg thing
    the counter is irrelevant at this point, because there isn't a conversation when only one side is concerned
    that much is clear from the last 30years

the position is there is no "reasonable" gun control; there is nowhere to go from there

more guns = more gun violence, we have this data now

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I think most gun owners want some common sense gun laws. Personally I don’t hear many common sense ideas.
    Agree. Like most things in this country, a militant minority with the help of a massive industry lobby got us here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I just hear non stop republican shaming and see morons handing eachother medals for moral supremacy. And when you put half the population in that box you immediately create stubbornness. If you want them to pressure their representatives that’s never going to work.
    Ok, but it literally is the Republicans' fault. Like I mentioned upthread, almost every single Republican Senator voted in favor of Clinton's crime bill that included the AWB. These days, they are party line against any gun control period. And that alone is why nothing will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Agree. Like most things in this country, a militant minority with the help of a massive industry lobby got us here.

Ok, but it literally is the Republicans' fault. Like I mentioned upthread, almost every single Republican Senator voted in favor of Clinton's crime bill that included the AWB. These days, they are party line against any gun control period. And that alone is why nothing will happen.
    What's the approach to dealing with republicans rather than "shaming" them like CE is pointing out? shouldn't we all feel ashamed as Americans for the ridiculous amount of gun violence we live with as a society? And I don't hear the republicans throwing out may solutions..it's all "mental health" but then no programs or funding to address it.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    What's the approach to dealing with republicans rather than "shaming" them like CE is pointing out? shouldn't we all feel ashamed as Americans for the ridiculous amount of gun violence we live with as a society? And I don't hear the republicans throwing out may solutions..it's all "mental health" but then no programs or funding to address it.
    Overwhelm them with research data in 4yrs per the research allowance first idea
    At that point, it will be clear whether widespread access in the name of defensive use is legitimately more useful than the attendant negligence to seems to go with more guns.
    Prove what is currently just a discussion point one way or the other. Use that finding to move the needle.
    Study it & measure it
    And, if it measures out, then we have an answer to inform the Ban The Gunz crowd too.

At that point, it will be clear whether widespread access in the name of defensive use is legitimately more useful than the attendant negligence to seems to go with more guns.
    Prove what is currently just a discussion point one way or the other. Use that finding to move the needle.
    Study it & measure it
    And, if it measures out, then we have an answer to inform the Ban The Gunz crowd too.
    I like it. CE, what's wrong with this proposal?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

The canadian gov announced more restrictive hand gun laws so everybody went to the gun shops and bought ALL the handguns
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I know cono was talking about voters, but I'm talking about politicians. The Republican Party is a gun cult. Anyone who advocates for gun control can't get through the primary level. So the R voter is always voting against gun control regardless of their personal stance on the subject (which is of course, by design).

As for shaming the snowflakes, it's a case of they can't take it, but sure can dish it out. A woman is either "pro life" or a baby murderer? Obama is a Muslim from Kenya? Mexicans are "drug dealers and rapists"? Owning the libs is the unofficial party slogan. Fuck their feelings.

Study it & measure it
    Are you high. You want to overwhelm the gun nut right wingers with... research, studies, statistics and science?

how'd that work out with oh, say, covid, global warming, pedo pizza parlors, etc?