• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 295 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    I like that you’re addressing the issue that any dipshit can buy a high powered weapon WAY too easily and quickly. How do you and other gun hobbyists/recreational users feel about my and others ideas on real registries and insurance requirements for all firearms? If the responsible gun owners aren’t the problem, then they surely wouldn’t have an issue with sensible measures to facilitate further responsibility right?
    I have a 4th grader and she gets to go to 5th grade. I don't think there is anything worse than what happened to those kids. It's gut wrenching seeing the pictures.

Im pretty sure the ATF keeps a real registry. Im not very confident that anything will happen, but small moves will be more successful than nothing at all.

If we can all agree that the gun law route is pretty fucked, then I would imagine other options should be looked at due too better viability. Locking doors and prison are not synonymous. Real SROs and not fatty riding the desk till retirement. Perhaps a program that pays retired veterans with combat experience to provide security. I can't get into my kids school. I think locked doors are very reasonable. I lock my house.

Bullying is an issue. I've had personal experience with it and it's pretty gnarly. No parental support or professional help, kids can go two ways. This was one of them. Bullying needs more focus.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Retired veterans with combat experience to patrol schools? This is fucking idiotic. What makes you think they’d be good patrolling a school?

Just performative bullshit from assholes who need their little toy. These are not serious ideas, this is pablum to waste time so nothing gets done so they can buy a few more guns before the next slaughter

If only there was something we could do...

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Huh, wonder what differentiates the us from the rest of the world playing the same video game?
    I think I said it.

They can play Call of Duty, then they can walk down the street and buy the same $1500 Daniel defense and a Glock 19.

It’s great marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Retired veterans with combat experience to patrol schools? This is fucking idiotic.
    Why man? Too much authority bringing down your vibe bro?

Do you have kids?

I'd have zero issue with it and I actually have children in elementary and middle school. I think you mentioned the Parkland cop running away.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

If only there was something we could do...

If bullying & mental health are the issue, then armed anybody (police, school rent a cop, veteran, school teacher) isn’t the answer

And ultimately, the problem isn’t the schools

Nor is the level of security the problem

We should be aspiring to a level of security that precludes weapons & defensive perimeters (locked, fenced, video-monitored or beyond) — that is our freedom (not some misguided notion to own weapons)

Part of that is reducing access to firearms through regulating them
    Part of that is social support structures including health programs including mental health

Question for the gun experts here: supposedly he purchased two AR platform rifles and 375 rounds of ammo. Approximately how much would that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Why man? Too much authority bringing down your vibe bro?

Do you have kids?

I'd have zero issue with it and I actually have children in elementary and middle school. I think you mentioned the Parkland cop running away.
    Combat vets aren't necessarily trained to be with kids and may do more damage with their other behavior during non shooting times.
    Look, in this case cops were on the scene immediately and could not prevent the shooter from entering and basically sacrificed those kids by waiting 40 minutes for someone else to deal with it.
    More cops is not the answer as it is already proven in this scenario (among others) to not work, because cops are humans that don't want to die. That leaves not having weapons available and other options.

I have a 4th grader and she gets to go to 5th grade. I don't think there is anything worse than what happened to those kids. It's gut wrenching seeing the pictures.

Im pretty sure the ATF keeps a real registry. Im not very confident that anything will happen, but small moves will be more successful than nothing at all.

If we can all agree that the gun law route is pretty fucked, then I would imagine other options should be looked at due too better viability. Locking doors and prison are not synonymous. Real SROs and not fatty riding the desk till retirement. Perhaps a program that pays retired veterans with combat experience to provide security. I can't get into my kids school. I think locked doors are very reasonable. I lock my house.

Bullying is an issue. I've had personal experience with it and it's pretty gnarly. No parental support or professional help, kids can go two ways. This was one of them. Bullying needs more focus.
    My daughter is 9 months old. My oldest nephew is 14. Ive had real concerns about our gun laws and ability to access firearms since before Columbine. It makes me sick to my stomach having to worry about sending kids to school. Locked from the outside doors should be required at every school and not just for school shooting concerns.

ATF keeps no registry and I don’t agree the gun law route is fucked. What’s fucked are the people who will sacrifice nothing and never admit that we have a real problem with almost unfettered access to firearms in this country. We have a societal problem here and tight restrictions and regulations need to be made and enforced on a uniform, federal level.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Question for the gun experts here: supposedly he purchased two AR platform rifles and 375 rounds of ammo. Approximately how much would that cost?
    Lowest end for that is going to be about 2k with no optics, more likely about 3k.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Combat vets aren't necessarily trained to be with kids and may do more damage with their other behavior during non shooting times.
    Look, in this case cops were on the scene immediately and could not prevent the shooter from entering and basically sacrificed those kids by waiting 40 minutes for someone else to deal with it.
    More cops is not the answer as it is already proven in this scenario (among others) to not work, because cops are humans that don't want to die. That leaves not having weapons available and other options.
    Yea cops rarely are willing to risk their lives any more. They used to be but their us and them I don't owe you shit psychology has become a lot more prevalent.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    My daughter is 9 months old. My oldest nephew is 14. Ive had real concerns about our gun laws and ability to access firearms since before Columbine. It makes me sick to my stomach having to worry about sending kids to school. Locked from the outside doors should be required at every school and not just for school shooting concerns.

ATF keeps no registry and I don’t agree the gun law route is fucked. What’s fucked are the people who will sacrifice nothing and never admit that we have a real problem with almost unfettered access to firearms in this country. We have a societal problem here and tight restrictions and regulations need to be made and enforced on a uniform, federal level.
    ATF by law is not allowed to keep computerized records and registries. The laws are very fixable, you just have the entirety of the republican party (and some dems) against that out of pure rhetoric reasons. If you put walls around any attempt to understand or fix a problem, no shit it doesn't get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Lowest end for that is going to be about 2k with no optics, more likely about 3k.
    Thanks. Apparently the nutjob worked at Wendy's. He'd probably been saving all his money toward this end for a long time.

ATF by law is not allowed to keep computerized records and registries. The laws are very fixable, you just have the entirety of the republican party (and some dems) against that out of pure rhetoric reasons. If you put walls around any attempt to understand or fix a problem, no shit it doesn't get fixed.
    We're in the stone ages as far as any kind of trace or registry, this is by design per the influence of the NRA:

https://youtu.be/rMQ2b6ZwwCU

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Thanks. Apparently the nutjob worked at Wendy's. He'd probably been saving all his money toward this end for a long time.
    He had two AR's, one of which was a Daniel Defense with an Eotech on it. The cheapest Daniel Defense is $1870, the Eotech goes for about $600. Not sure what the other brand was but figure at least a grand. The kid had 4-5 grand in guns and ammo, so yeah, that'd take a while.

I am a huge mental health advocate. It is under funded in our society. Improving this priority would reduce gun deaths significantly, but mostly in terms of suicidality. Mental health is horrifically misunderstood in terms of gun crime.

I don't think that mental health is the issue in this specific circumstance, but we don't know and may never know in this specific incident.

Medicalizing criminality is a horrific mistake.

There exists diagnostic boxes into which we can put the fractional (but socially significant) percentage of humanity that will be inevitably and incorrigibly violent, but it isn't because they are ill in the same way that someone with PTSD or depression or ADD or OCD are ill (and each of these is very different).

Stigma is a problem, because though certain affective (eg schizophrenia) and mood (eg bipolar) disorders seem to make up roughly 10% of murderers when looking at older datasets (a disproportionate amount vs the general population), actually very few people who have those disorders commit murder. This particular phenomenon of statistics is hard to parse for the public/policy makers and hard to address for clinicians. To say this differently, someone who is schizophrenic might have 20x the chance of being a murderer vs average, thus explaining overrepresentation among murderers, but the chance that someone with schizophrenia commits murder in their life is <0.1%!!!

When you are talking about diagnosis that actually do present a significant risk of murder, these people don't need to pop a pill. Substance abuse disorders correlate with crime, but that is a highly complex topic and is often comorbid with other issues. Other people have certain types of personality disorders such as antisocial or borderline often only recognized only after the fact, and the mechanisms vary too. The few who are violently psychotic or impassionately enraged tend to target those personally close to them (eg DV) and act on different impulses than someone who is amoral like an Antisocial. Antisocials are basically untreatable, amoral, and though there is a distinction between that personality disorder and psychopathy, the overlap is nearly complete. These people almost always end up in the criminal justice system and usually prison, but sometimes they kill (many) before landing there. Flagging them earlier is the only intervention I can think of, and fraught. Failure to intervene despite spotting the problem is another issue (eg the Aurora theater shooter).

"Support Mental Health" and "Mental Health Awareness" tropes, whether noble or as an excuse, probably have little overlap on functional interventions here.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    He had two AR's, one of which was a Daniel Defense with an Eotech on it. The cheapest Daniel Defense is $1870, the Eotech goes for about $600. Not sure what the other brand was but figure at least a grand. The kid had 4-5 grand in guns and ammo, so yeah, that'd take a while.
    He had this planned for a long time. What a shame that no one saw the signs--or at least didn't act on their suspicions about this kid.

Retired veterans with combat experience to patrol schools? This is fucking idiotic. What makes you think they’d be good patrolling a school?
    Just to fill you in... A bunch of cops are retired military.

I would say the biggest qualifying factor is combat experience. We are dealing with combat weaponry correct. Wouldn't you want someone with experience rather than some 65 year old blob?

Furthermore, the shooter was killed by an advanced Border Patrol agent part of a "BORDERTAC" team. Chances are hes retired military too.

at a more practical level the definition of “combat veteran” doesn’t necessarily reflect the skills Bobby thinks he wants
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...iqm_story.html
    As for my most recent tour, I don’t tell people I deployed to Baghdad. I say that I deployed to Victory Base Complex (VBC) — the largest, most luxurious base wartime soldiers have ever had the pleasure of visiting. I never set foot in Baghdad proper. The only gunshots I heard were from our shooting range. I never fired a weapon or rode in a convoy or on a helicopter.

Just to fill you in... A bunch of cops are retired military.

I would say the biggest qualifying factor is combat experience. We are dealing with combat weaponry correct. Wouldn't you want someone with experience rather than some 65 year old blob?

Furthermore, the shooter was killed by an advanced Border Patrol agent part of a "BORDERTAC" team. Chances are hes retired military too.
    For a combat role yes
    For a school no

We as a society shouldn’t be aspiring to weaponizing society, that just takes us further down a road none of us want to be on

Just performative bullshit from assholes who need their little toy. These are not serious ideas, this is pablum to waste time so nothing gets done so they can buy a few more guns before the next slaughter
    This, and all the other bullshit distraction attempts about mental health being a priority, blah blah. Bottom line, as always, is a complete shift in gun regulation (ultra-strict like other countries have--countries that never, ever have these problems) will fix all of this. The rest is just bullshit the gun people have used to distract from what needs to be done--getting rid of most of these guns. Get rid of the guns and you get rid of the problem. It really is that simple, as other countries have shown us. There's nothing so special about us that would make us the exception. Who gives a fuck what 18th century slave owners wrote down (putting aside the misreading of the amendment, which is very clear that the 'right' only applies for the purposes of maintaining a military).

Sickening what people are willing to accept and advocate for.
    [quote][//quote]

I agree with you but also want to emphasize how crazy it is that people are seriously considering putting an additional 1-5 vets/cops at the 100k public schools in the country.

I agree, it's just that 5 guards * 50000 avg salary * 100000 public schools and we would still have all the gun problems we have now but spend a lot more and traumatize more kids and teachers by turning schools into prisons. What is not to love about protecting the right for people to have dangerous toys?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    For a combat role yes
    We as a society shouldn’t be aspiring to weaponizing society, that just takes us further down a road none of us want to be on
    There are these true believers that think we're safer with more guns though. And the vets make shitty cops anyway.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Also - to be clear, I'd be fine with some of the discussions of mental health if it was coupled to meaningful funding and support. It isn't. It's just blame. Those pointing to disturbed individuals are doing absolutely nothing to understand or alleviate that problem. Until they do, call them out on their bullshit.
    Oh sorry, "thoughts and prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Bottom line, as always, is a complete shift in gun regulation (ultra-strict like other countries have--countries that never, ever have these problems) will fix all of this. The rest is just bullshit the gun people have used to distract from what needs to be done--getting rid of most of these guns. Get rid of the guns and you get rid of the problem. It really is that simple, as other countries have shown us. There's nothing so special about us that would make us the exception. Who gives a fuck what 18th century slave owners wrote down (putting aside the misreading of the amendment, which is very clear that the 'right' only applies for the purposes of maintaining a military).
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    And the vets make shitty cops anyway.
    Why?

Are we all cop and vet haters here too? Defund the police and all?

Grow up kids.

Bunch of states let local and state law enforcement agencies resell confiscated firearms. That needs to stop yesterday.