• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 157 of 295 FirstFirst ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 7374
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I don’t know, the fact that a trip to Walmart in anywhere USA may lead to a gunfight kinda makes me want to carry a gun.

And…..12 pages of handwringing….go.
    Probably better than 50/50 odds you'll end up like Johnny Hurley.

Also, just a general observation not aimed at you specifically, but the people most likely to say they need to carry in case a shooting breaks out also seem to be the ones most likely to say that most gun deaths aren't from mass shootings and even in Freedumbstan statistically you're extremely unlikely to be involved in a mass shooting. So, you're a paranoid skeerdy cat if you're worried about being in a mass shooting, unless that's your justification to carry a gun at all times.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-23-2022 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    That's the hope of the NRA. They secretly love these mass shootings. It's good for business. So do the Republicans. Their hollow thoughts and prayers while they rake in tens of millions of dollars in NRA campaign contributions and actively try to weaken gun laws is proof that they are pro gun violence.
    This

Name:  cycle.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  78.8 KB

^^ missing from that cycle is the increase in gun purchases...

in 1996, there were approx 242M guns in the US
    in 2009, there were approx 310M guns in the US
    in 2022, there are approx 393M guns in the US

meanwhile,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT_22.01.26_GunDeaths_4.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	435183

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Name:  cycle.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  78.8 KB
    That's way out of date. >600 mass shootings per year for three years in a row. We never have time to get past the "Thoughts and Prayers" stage.

Jesus, that’s the kind of person who doesn’t belong on this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    I’m hoping that “gun proponents” are figuring out that if they don’t get on the train that is headed towards implementing common sense solutions to this issue they are really, really not going to like what comes down the pike.

I get the impression that a majority of people are pretty much done with the BS excuses and stalling.
    A majority of the people in the US support more gun regulation, but we have a republic, not direct democracy, so the vocal minority that don't can effectively block a lot of legislation that would make sense if you see reducing gun violence as a significant priority (at least at the national level).

If the Democrats had managed to pass significant regulation with majorities in both houses, you'd also have seen more of a rightward swing in the midterms (IMO), along with open hostility towards the implementation of such regulations in red and some purple states; the second amendment and its modern reading is important to a lot of people.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Jesus, that’s the kind of person who doesn’t belong on this earth.
    This family should be in the dictionary under "deplorable"

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    That seems to be the response i hear too.
    It is however a pretty backwards "solution" under the least amount of scrutiny and emblematic of why we keep having these issues.
    IE...the current process of "everyone gets a gun" and little in the way of deciding who can responsibly use one.

Gun proponents say "regulations don't work"; per the chart upthread, they demonstrably do.
    The larger problem is that unfettered gun availability doesn't work.

For those that claim "it's the person not the gun", I ask: with that as a presumptive basis for the issue, why would you ever give the person a gun without heavy scrutiny of the person?
    I don’t disagree with any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Also, just a general observation not aimed at you specifically, but the people most likely to say they need to carry in case a shooting breaks out also seem to be the ones most likely to say that most gun deaths aren't from mass shootings and even in Freedumbstan statistically you're extremely unlikely to be involved in a mass shooting. So, you're a paranoid skeerdy cat if you're worried about being in a mass shooting, unless that's your justification to carry a gun at all times.
    I’m just going full devil’s advocate since I don’t carry a gun. If you did find yourself in a shooting in a public space, would you want a gun, or no? Do you feel compelled to take precaution against anything else in your life that is statistically unlikely to happen?

Obviously carrying a gun is not the solution to the problem, but it does seem like we are in an arms race to the bottom here.

And let’s add that 99+% of those strapped in public have next to no training/experience with a mass shooter in a crowded area. I have little confidence in their ability to not make shit worse.

ETA for Z3 - I would not want a weapon in an active shooter situation. The more untrained morons with guns entering the picture, the bigger the chance for one of the “good guys with guns” to get shot by another “good guy”

People who know the shooter say no way he was "binary" or anything but a violent homophonic nut case. Pretty sure it's his lawyer who just made that shit up on the fly.. Well played, the right wingnuts are all like "" see, ANTIFA ANTIFAANTIFA bla bla bla..."
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

jbdj - kid had no chance and we have no chance if a POS like that can go buy a gun.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I’m just going full devil’s advocate since I don’t carry a gun. If you did find yourself in a shooting in a public space, would you want a gun, or no? Do you feel compelled to take precaution against anything else in your life that is statistically unlikely to happen?

Obviously carrying a gun is not the solution to the problem, but it does seem like we are in an arms race to the bottom here.
    I have to admit I have had the same thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

ETA for Z3 - I would not want a weapon in an active shooter situation. The more untrained morons with guns entering the picture, the bigger the chance for one of the “good guys with guns” to get shot by another “good guy”
    Hence my Johnny Hurley reference. For those who have forgotten, Johnny shot and killed an active shooter in Colorado, then a cop showed up, saw him holding a gun, and killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    jbdj - kid had no chance and we have no chance if a POS like that can go buy a gun.
    Yeah. The dad obviously has something going on besides just horrible opinions.

This is why it’s so disgusting that people are promoting hate and conspiracies again trans people for political gains. Most people aren’t going to react violently, but some fucked up people like this can and will.

Hence my Johnny Hurley reference. For those who have forgotten, Johnny shot and killed an active shooter in Colorado, then a cop showed up, saw him holding a gun, and killed him.
    Sorry didn’t get the Hurley reference, but yep
    So many dead, just fucking heartbreaking

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ing-officials/
    The gunman who killed six people at a Chesapeake, Va., Walmart on Tuesday night legally purchased the firearm used in the tragedy hours earlier, officials said.

The city of Chesapeake announced on Friday that 31-year-old Andre Bing, who died of a self-inflicted wound before police arrived, legally purchased the 9mm handgun from a local store that morning. Bing had no criminal history.

^^^ Don’t know how you stop a guy like this. No known mental health or criminal flags…

Maybe a waiting period before you can pick it up…

Would a better mental health system catch/treat him before it got to this?

If only there was something we could do...

absolutely waiting periods reduce this kind of stuff and suicides.

first result:

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1619896114
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Nightshift manager + loner = high likelihood of mental issues.... Reminds me of this character..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto-2019-09-29-um-10.03.19.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	743.3 KB 
ID:	435461
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    absolutely waiting periods reduce this kind of stuff and suicides.

first result:

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1619896114
    This^^^ study finds a 17% reduction in gun violence occurs in states with waiting periods. That’s like one in six would-be mass killers deterred by the delay.

So even if this mentally ill guy lived in say, Hawaii rather than Virginia, there’s still a roughly 83% chance he would have killed his coworkers after waiting two weeks.

I’m all for waiting periods but we need to be realistic about impact.

Personally I think completion of a firearms safety course would be more effective, esp if trainers are watching for signs of crazy.