• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 38 of 295 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    One of the things that blows my mind is that we can't find common ground on using modern technology to create a background check system that allows private owners to run a check on a buyer without allowing the government to turn it into a registry (as has been noted, a lot of gun owners took the confiscation scene in Red Dawn seriously, and some of the rhetoric coming from anti gun activists reinforces the notion; registration is a nonstarter for many, many gun owners).

At the same time, many gun owners want to be able to sell stuff while minimizing the chance that the stuff they sell will be used in a crime.

We could do this with a system where the seller has the buyer log into a website, the buyer puts in their info and the seller's email, and the seller gets to login to download a PDF confirmation that the other guy is an eligible buyer, plus an encryption key they download.

The encryption key is then used to encrypt the government's record of the check, and the government doesn't retain the key. In the event that a gun is found in the hands of a prohibited person, the government goes to the FFL who sold it, who then uses the encryption key to pull up the buyer info, and the process repeats until someone can't show they did due diligence before transferring the weapon.

If the Russians or the Australians invade, everyone deletes their copies of the encryption keys and then no one can access the data.

I would also favor your firearm being misused being prima facie evidence that you were negligent in caring for it, with something like a police report indicating B&E and it being taken working as an affirmative defense.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    One of the things that blows my mind is that we can't find common ground on

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    We can - most people (I think the number is like 90%) are in favor of some common sense stuff like expanded background checks, data cleanup etc. etc. - but it isn't a big enough issue to sway them from the Republican party (yet), and the Republicans just gladly rake in gun cash to fully obstruct. That said, given NRA fundraising ties to Russia, will be interesting to see if the money tap is actually off at the lobbying level. If there's one thing Republican leadership hates, it's not getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    . If there's one thing politicians hate, it's not getting paid.
    FTFY.

But seriously, Citizen's United may be one of the most destructive court decisions of the century. Overturning it (via constitutional amendment) would open the door for bringing more power back to centrist politicians, but the odds of that happening...

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I like the idea of arming the teachers. Because if the cops are gonna stand outside I want Ms Smith the new grad substitute teacher making $22,000 a year to be taking on mass murderers. Is that too much to ask of her? /s

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Ove the last few days, one thing about this shooting has really stuck out to me. And it's a really depressing thought on it all.

There's absolutely nothing comparable to a mass school shooting for bringing Americans together to talk about a policy issue in excruciatingly great detail, with absolute passion and conviction. Even abortion comes a distant second.

What guns did he use?
    Where did he buy them?
    How did he buy them?
    How long before the shooting did he buy them?
    What ammo did he buy?
    How does this compare with other ammo/guns?
    Why did he shoot them?
    How many shots did he fire?
    Who lived?
    Who died?
    Why did they live?
    Why did they die?
    Was he American?
    Was he an immigrant?
    Was he an immigrant that became American?
    Is that relevant?
    How does race factor into this?
    Where was he in the room?
    Where was everyone else?
    How long did the key take to show up?
    Why did it take so long to show up?
    What were the bystanders doing?
    Why did the police stop the bystanders?
    What federal agencies got involved?
    Why did they get involved?
    Why do the versions of events not align?
    What were the backgrounds of the federal agents that got involved?
    What about the school resource officer?
    What are the stats on the utility of school resource officers?
    What about the school entries and exits?
    Why was there more than one?
    Is this ok?
    Were the kids drilled in what to do if there was an active shooter?
    Is it the fault of the police that more children died?
    How is this connected to defund/back the blue/democrat/republican positions on police staff levels and police powers?
    Was he playing any video games?
    What did those video games mean?
    Did he message anyone while playing those games?
    What did those messages say?
    What about mental health?
    Why isn't it funded better?
    Was it the reason?
    What is going on with mental health more broadly across the community?
    Why is it this way?
    What about his family?
    Why was his mother a drug user?
    What about his father?
    Did his friends influence him?
    Were there signs?
    Why didn't we act sooner on the signs?
    What about the legislative settings?
    Why aren't they different/stronger/weaker?

Why does nothing ever change?
    We should be more creative. Definitely should be sending our occupier-killing arms to Ukraine, but stalemates outlast wars so it might not make that vaunted list in the long run.

How about this: nothing can change and thinking about mass shootings hurts more people than mass shootings (Opie voice: it rarely hurts them to death). So why are all the alarmists and thinkers and prayers focusing our attention on a painful and dangerous topic, which they know can only hurt us since nothing will ever change (Opie voice: especially the ones who will vote to stop It)? Do they hate America?

(Opie voice: they do hate America.)
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

If only there was something we could do...

https://www.koin.com/news/crime/susp...omer-with-gun/

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Police are asking for the public’s help identifying a woman who allegedly threatened someone with a gun at a Home Depot in Oregon City Wednesday evening.

Oregon City police said the woman was menacing another customer with a black handgun in the store parking lot.

The suspect is described as a white female, 5’6’’, 120lbs and has shoulder length brown hair.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Oregon City Tip Line at 503-905-3505 and reference OCPD case number 22-011766.
    #responsiblegunowners
    #lethalnegligence

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Why does nothing ever change?
    Because nobody with any real power wants it to change. Nobody is willing to expend the political capital. You'd need a two thirds supermajority (or equivalent amount of bipartisanship) to do something substantial - which almost never happens because we're so divided that we can't even agree on things we agree on.

The president and 60 senators could do the bare minimum gun reform, but there isn't a hope in hell of getting any R senators onboard.

To be honest, gun debates in this country are a waste of time. Firearms are so entrenched in our culture that you just have to accept is as a cost of being 'Merican. Sure, somebody everyday probably goes whacko and runs over a bunch of people, but it is what it is.

Nothing proposed ever is going to stop an 18 year old with no priors from doing what happened. It's a very entrenched part of our culture and there is no legislation that will ever change it given the proliferation here.

I don't even find it productive to debate the issue. It's the same as income inequality as far as I'm concerned. Just get used to it, because it will never stop.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Guess I touched a bit of a nerve. You’re the one that stated none of us know what we are talking about when it comes to gun laws and you’re the expert that needs to be listened to. Turns out you’re just a run of the mill privileged white dude selectively deciding what laws you want to follow with no consequences. When someone calls you on your bullshit you have a melt down.
    My local laws allow me to have a half ounce on my person. When I was in Colorado I think it was an ounce. There are plenty of gun owners out there that smoke weed. Its a gotcha point you are trying to make. Good for you.

My cannabis use has nothing to do with the dreadful amount of gun knowledge anti gun folks possess. If you want to actually be effective at negotiating an outcome, it might be a good idea to actually know what you are talking about.

We have people in here calling for automatic weapons to be banned...

Jimmy kind has everyone's number as far as TGR is concerned. He said 3 months. I give it 3 weeks before this thread dies off and something else has grabbed our attention. Maybe not, but that has been the history of this place.

Maybe keep that in mind before pointing the finger at me. Are all of you just full of shit?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

You get that policies and laws are made by people who generally do know what they are talking about. Those weed laws were not made with input from street level stoners for example.

I wouldn’t expect gun control laws to be written using the gun knowledge of people in the basement of ski forum.

Your point about anonymous mags not knowing the details well enough is a weak ass one.

Own your fail Bobby stupid.

I like Bobby for the most part…. But I do kinda think he’s being a “shall not be infringed!” kinda guy. Ie, reading one part of a sentence and disregarding the other part of it. Kinda like ignoring the “well regulated” part he’s ignoring the “addicted to” part. Judging from his posts here he’d have trouble denying he’s addicted to the weedz.

I signed that form as well and agree us stoners probably aren’t going on too many rampages. But, none the less…

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    One of the things that blows my mind is that we can't find common ground on using modern technology to create a background check system that allows private owners to run a check on a buyer without allowing the government to turn it into a registry (as has been noted, a lot of gun owners took the confiscation scene in Red Dawn seriously, and some of the rhetoric coming from anti gun activists reinforces the notion; registration is a nonstarter for many, many gun owners).

At the same time, many gun owners want to be able to sell stuff while minimizing the chance that the stuff they sell will be used in a crime.

We could do this with a system where the seller has the buyer log into a website, the buyer puts in their info and the seller's email, and the seller gets to login to download a PDF confirmation that the other guy is an eligible buyer, plus an encryption key they download.

The encryption key is then used to encrypt the government's record of the check, and the government doesn't retain the key. In the event that a gun is found in the hands of a prohibited person, the government goes to the FFL who sold it, who then uses the encryption key to pull up the buyer info, and the process repeats until someone can't show they did due diligence before transferring the weapon.

If the Russians or the Australians invade, everyone deletes their copies of the encryption keys and then no one can access the data.

I would also favor your firearm being misused being prima facie evidence that you were negligent in caring for it, with something like a police report indicating B&E and it being taken working as an affirmative defense.
    Gun fags want absolutely any gun, no background check, no waiting period, no registration and no responsibility.

They think their kids should be able to have guns, their guns need to be loaded at all times incase bad guy.

If someone who shouldn't get gun gets gun its not their fault or the guns fault its bad guys fault.

You can't control bad guy. Well you can, only by shooting him first.

A perfect couple

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    A perfect couple

2018. See. There is not an infinity icon/emojie

^4 years later and we're in the same sinking boat but the water level is risin'

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    2018. See. There is not an infinity icon/emojie
    Wash rinse repeat till the American expirement is over.

Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    Wash rinse repeat till the American expirement is over.
    Not in our lifetime. I just document it.

Greg Abbott is a fucking shitbag

Bunny Don't Surf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 9.40.49 PM.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	494.9 KB 
ID:	417489

That's a lot of money spent to have officers appear to hang outside and taze/handcuff parents. Maybe take some of those funds (call it defunding?) and spend it on mental health care for kids/teenagers.

It is my understanding that, due to proximity, the border patrol was the response because their kids were in there. Shitty place to live anyway. With much experience, I wouldn't live anywhere within 100 miles of a southern border for many reasons.

And if you put white robes on that picture, I bet it would change a lot of peoples' minds.

Name:	1E68A0FF-6F94-4D3C-B30C-9E3F170435A7.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	417490

https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/stat...uB9aeKMcpk4oAw

Seems reasonable? (Maybe I just think that because I’m Canadian.)

Would any of the gun owners here personally object?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post

Name:	1E68A0FF-6F94-4D3C-B30C-9E3F170435A7.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	417490

https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/stat...uB9aeKMcpk4oAw

Seems reasonable? (Maybe I just think that because I’m Canadian.)

Would any of the gun owners here personally object?
    So I have to remember who I fucked in the last 2 years to be legal? That is fucked. Ms. WHATHERFACE 1, WHATSHERFACE 8? Probably a virgin, so he's not actually lying.

And that kid has plenty of time for the waiting period, which he did have before he lit shit up, no documented history accessible of any mental shit, and could waltz through that. So what progress are you actually making? None.

In Canadian: So Sorry. People are going to do stupid shit. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    So I have to remember who I fucked in the last 2 years to be legal? That is fucked. Ms. WHATHERFACE 1, WHATSHERFACE 8?
    Yeah, I thought that one could be a hang up. Willing to negotiate on it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Yeah, I thought that one could be a hang up. Willing to negotiate on it.
    I'd need to consult with your last partner to OK that. What's his name and address?