• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 295 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    the gun owning public is 1/3 of the US
    So is the percentage that says our last election was illegitimate and the guy who lost actually won and were willing to throw out democracy in the toilet due to lies and disproven conspiracy theories.

Your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    A problem is that there is great awareness of the huge desire frequently and loudly espoused by many to do mass confiscation, and that reasonable inches are part of an incremental strategy to reach that confiscation milestone.

So this allows a narrative that common sense solutions should be opposed in order to delay the incremental goal of confiscation. And that "it's inevitable, so lets slow it down at every corner" narrative is heavily enable by shrill cries for confiscation by those who are also peddling small steps. That is why the right sadly won't take Feinberg's reasonable proposal seriously. But those screaming for confiscation don't care about that part of the equation, even when it means nothing gets done.
    you can trace the paranoia over registration (specifically computer registries) and confiscation back to Red Dawn and mostly invented bullshit in the 1980s. Gun owners have agency, they aren’t forced to believe shit. But a vocal subset want to believe fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Totally agree. I don't know if Australians are culturally similar to citizens of the US. Meaning, was there the same obsession with guns that a significant portion of the US population has?
    No Gravy SEALs in Oz then or now AFAIK. No one else fetishizes guns like Americans do. Well, maybe the Taliban.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Low hanging fruit. Interesting terminology for something that can't seem to get done.
    It hangs a lot lower than mass confiscation.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Really reaching there Dan
    I'm just stating a fact. The Trump admin banned bump stocks and there was almost no pushback from the right. If Obama had done the same right-wing media would have been apoplectic.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Grudgingly I'll admit that you're probably correct.
    I think I'm right, but I wish I was wrong. Shit's fucked and not getting better. This country fetishizes guns in a way that is deeply disturbing.

Has anyone proposed widespread confiscation? Buybacks are not confiscation.

More than 1/3 of the US has a gun. Quit being so gullible.

People with illegal firearms aren't offering up that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Buybacks are not confiscation.
    The people that make guns out of crap and go buy new ones are really winning there.

https://investortimes.com/freedomout...hase-new-ones/
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Fuck the gun owning public. They’re the minority and the majority of the public wants to severely restrict firearm access. Again, FUCK THE GUN OWNING PUBLIC. Your hobby and cosplay and fever dreams of the government/bogeyman coming to get you does not override the rational fear that unarmed citizens feel on a daily basis.
    How many democrat lawmakers would vote to ban semi auto handguns and pump action shotguns? Not many.

All I hear is ban assault weapons but I respect the American sportsman horseshit.

Either you want an Australian type turn in, or you’re just playing politics.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mandatory buybacks are confiscation with less financial loss.

Voluntary buybacks are legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

More than 1/3 of the US has a gun. Quit being so gullible.
    back to lieing again stupid? God it’s funny watching you be a dumbass, then pretend you are just trolling, like a giant limpdicked gravy seal

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No Gravy SEALs in Oz then or now AFAIK.
    You should do some research.

There was very considerable opposition. by the Vegemite militia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

3% of firearms are "assault weapons". Get off your soapbox.

You aren't even focused on the correct firearm to change gun deaths in any meaningful way. Your lack of knowledge on the subject is dreadful.

It's pretty apparent most of you don't know the first thing about gun laws or gun ownership.
    It’s actually about 5% and growing with 1 in 5 of every new gun sell being a high capacity mag, semi auto, black gun. There’s an estimated 20 mil of them in the US. I personally enjoy shooting bolt actions for accuracy more. They are not great for hunting big game and not great for home defense for many situations. 20 mil of a gun that is good for shooting coyotes, pigs, and people seems like a lot.

I guess to some they look cool and they can be good for adults who like playing with legos but don’t want their buddies knowing they play with legos.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    do you think the polling on common sense gun control legislation is false? Because what you say can't be true if so...meaning if Trump said today "pass common sense gun control legislation" I do think it would move things in the Senate enough. I get what you're saying, him being the embodiment of his supporters, but to that end almost all of the Trump supporters I know are also vaccinated. I can think of one friend who is a huge gun nut, antivaxxer, and rabid Trumper...so I know what you're saying...those people exist...is it most of the GOP supporters and then is it also most of the folks in the GOP who want common sense gun control? Not everyone is like Leroy on the gun nut side of things. Most of the folks I know, myself included, who own guns mainly own them for hunting...that's not the portion of the population that's the problem, nor should they be singled out as such.
    I think gun culture changed away from the hunting culture a lot of us grew up with. It's more 'tactical' and militaristic revolving around personal defense where the answer to mass shootings is less restrictions, not more restrictions:

None of them see a connection between the weapons they own and the shootings at Sandy Hook, San Bernardino, Aurora, Orlando, Las Vegas, Parkland. They see mug shots of James Holmes, Omar Mateen, Stephen Paddock, Nikolas Cruz — “crazier than a shithouse rat,” they say. “If it hadn’t been that rifle, he’d have done it with something else.” They fear that what starts as an assault-weapons ban will snowball into an attack on everything in the safe. I don’t believe that politicians are going to ban ordinary guns or overturn the Second Amendment, but I understand their reasoning because I understand what’s at stake. I think about that boy picking up that AR in Cabela’s, and I’m torn between the culture I grew up with and how that culture has devolved. There are changes I know must come, changes to what types of firearms line the shelves and to the background checks and ownership requirements needed to carry one out the door. And there is an unrelenting fear of what could be lost — a subsistence culture already threatened by the loss of public land, rising costs and a widening rural-urban divide; the right of individuals to protect their own lives and the lives of their families.

Mandatory buybacks are confiscation with less financial loss.

Voluntary buybacks are legal.
    Well, there's some rhetoric from the pro-gun crowd that should be parsed. Widespread voluntary buyback should be an easy win. Won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    back to lieing again stupid? God it’s funny watching you be a dumbass, then pretend you are just trolling, like a giant limpdicked gravy seal

Let it flow through you.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

A problem is that there is great awareness of the huge desire frequently and loudly espoused by many to do mass confiscation, and that reasonable inches are part of an incremental strategy to reach that confiscation milestone.

So this allows a narrative that common sense solutions should be opposed in order to delay the incremental goal of confiscation. And that "it's inevitable, so lets slow it down at every corner" narrative is heavily enable by shrill cries for confiscation by those who are also peddling small steps. That is why the right sadly won't take Feinberg's reasonable proposal seriously. But those screaming for confiscation don't care about that part of the equation, even when it means nothing gets done.
    Yep.

If it's mandatory, which Australia's program was, it's confiscation.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You should do some research.

There was very considerable opposition. by the Vegemite militia.
    I never said there wasn't opposition. I do think it's fair to say that on average Australian gun owners did/do not have an obsession with guns on par with what a significant portion of the US population has

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    How many democrat lawmakers would vote to ban semi auto handguns and pump action shotguns? Not many.

All I hear is ban assault weapons but I respect the American sportsman horseshit.

Either you want an Australian type turn in, or you’re just playing politics.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Perfect should not be the enemy of better. If we could bust down the dam of "absolutely no federal gun regulation ever" and the horseshit research/data restrictions that would be incredibly helpful.
    I'd rather have 0 shootings, but if my other choices are 2 and 50, I know what I'm picking.

OK adding dunfree and leroy to my ignore should make this thread considerably less unpleasant for the same reason that ignoring Bunny and teletech made the Ukraine/COVID threads readable. I should probably ignore SJG for the same reason as stuckathuntermtn: so dumb that their idiocy rubs off on their reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    It’s actually about 5% and growing with 1 in 5 of every new gun sell being a high capacity mag, semi auto, black gun. There’s an estimated 20 mil of them in the US. I personally enjoy shooting bolt actions for accuracy more. They are not great for hunting big game and not great for home defense for many situations. 20 mil of a gun that is good for shooting coyotes, pigs, and people seems like a lot.

I guess to some they look cool and they can be good for adults who like playing with legos but don’t want their buddies knowing they play with legos.
    20 million is not accurate. 6-10.

A suppressed 300blk is good for a lot of things. 5.56, not so much.

Well, there's some rhetoric from the pro-gun crowd that should be parsed. Widespread voluntary buyback should be an easy win. Won't be.
    I'm not opposed to a widespread buyback, but I'm also not convinced it will help much. I bet the gun manufacturers will support it and the pawn shops won't.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    the Question I do have is how was the school Safety Officer not in a position to defend the school - That is that officer's job.

Not to pursue an assailant in the neighborhood - secure and defend the school ;

when the call came that drew the school safety officer away, that school should have gone to LOCK-DOWN until the threat was gone. !!!

f* tj
    apparently because he wasn’t there at all, according to the most recent briefing. Facts & narrative seem a bit confused still.

see yours, Summit - and we now have multiple incidents where what you claim to be revised, current training is not what's happening.

There are aspects of interpretation - does a mobile assailant qualify as an active shooter to be 'attacked' .

I still cannot abide by the school safety officer leaving school ground instead of LOCKing-DOWN the school with an assailant in the neighborhood...

the school's "plan" is not a plan - it is an administrator's outline.

sorry. enough. tj

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

I'm just stating a fact. The Trump admin banned bump stocks and there was almost no pushback from the right. If Obama had done the same right-wing media would have been apoplectic.
    But the fact you think this has to do with trump and his “all powerful” hand over people…he didn’t and does not have this power. But people talk as if he does.

Presidents are just figure heads.
    trump simply had a big fuggin mouth, that’s all. The power he supposedly has is from people fluffing him up. If people would just stop the idolization he’d be a past headline.

he can’t face the reasoning behind the ban on a computerized gun registry because he desperately needs to play the center, utterly unwilling to see that the vocal pro gun peps represent a relatively small proportion of the population

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    apparently because he wasn’t there at all, according to the most recent briefing. Facts & narrative seem a bit confused still.
    wow.
    not hard to believe...

more awesomeness.

' is it worth trying!? '

for the kids -
    The kids deserve better. tj

Not really tracking what the point of this discussion that you and Conundrum are having. Is the idea that we do more with the 5% or 10% of weapons classified as assault style weapons with the hopes that this reduces some of the mass shooting events? Additionally, is the point you two are making that this represents a smaller number of weapons to deal with so it may be feasible?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

What would the Firearm Industry Trade Association know about the number of modern sporting rifles in the US?

Since 1990, there are an estimated 19.8 million Modern Sporting Rifles (MSRs) in circulation today.
    https://www.nssf.org/articles/nssf-r...ction-figures/

Doesn’t “modern sporting rifle” make them sound pretty cool and useful for sports stuff?

And other than shooting many people quickly, or I guess multiple shots at one target because you can’t shoot for shit, what’s a semi-auto, 30 rd mag, suppressed 300blk SBR going to do that that my 26” barrel 3 rd bolt action 300 WM can’t?