• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 159 of 295 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 7356
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Who was the comedian who said that they should just allow (or even require) everyone to carry a special gun that can only fire one bullet. You can defend yourself with lethal force but only get one shot.. Most attackers know to expect a bullet coming at them.. I guess a gang of people each with one bullet could try something but it would still be a deterrent knowing that whoever they attack can kill one of them.. But nobody can legally purchase instant mayhem anymore.. Caught with more than one and instant jail.. and no gun for the rest of your life after paroled.
    But how do you overthrow the librul gubmint with one and done guns?

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    But how do you overthrow the librul gubmint with one and done guns?

Weren't all guns "one and done" when The 2nd A was written?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

As has been said before, Sandy Hook was the end of the gun debate. When someone can go mow down 20 kids in school and the country collectively decides that nothing needs to be done about it, the debate is over for at least a generation.

Define ‘collectively decides’. We have voting and legislative (and judicial) processes that in many cases result in outcomes not reflective of the majority sentiment.

Yes, but now your being ridiculous! I have colleagues who honestly believe they have absolute right to own a tank or fighter jet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I do agree that we’ll likely need to reverse the quite popular view that the 2A is god given and precious before we can put a dent in the stupidity that leads to accidents, assaults and murders

It is a religion to a swath of the country for some reason

The voting quorum of reasonable people isn’t high enough yet

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Define ‘collectively decides’. We have voting and legislative (and judicial) processes that in many cases result in outcomes not reflective of the majority sentiment.
    If the majority can't overcome the mechanisms of the American government, then it would appear the majority doesn't actually care that much. There are plenty of people who care in a "hand wringing on the internet" kind of way, but there isn't a significant majority who cares in a get stuff done in the real world kind of way.

From post 3893
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91FDB7D3-5877-4707-81AA-6B97140E39A2.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	585.0 KB 
ID:	435600

Sorta flies in the face of the “people don’t want gun control” argument

The problem is Congress - particularly the Senate - doesn’t reflect the will of the people.

All we have to do is amend The Constitution to more clearly state that the right to bear arms is at the well regulated militia level instead of at the whack job individual personal private arsenal level. And be sure that SCUTOS can't do the same fuckery to that that they did with Heller.. Easy Peasy!

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    The problem is Congress - particularly the Senate - doesn’t reflect the will of the people.
    It doesn't reflect the will of the simple majority, by design. A lot of times, that's a good thing (it could become the whim of the majority otherwise), but it also makes systemic change particularly hard when it disrupts the subculture associated with the largest minority block.

There's several problems with pubic opinion stats like those presented; IMHO one of the biggest is that to get a poll done, you usually need to ask fairly simple questions with a limited answer set. When you ask simple questions about complicated issues, you don't always get answers that accurately reflect people's views, and you also get simple answers from people who don't really understand the complications.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

^^This is why nothing will change, no one has the will. There’s always an excuse

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    From post 3893
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91FDB7D3-5877-4707-81AA-6B97140E39A2.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	585.0 KB 
ID:	435600

Sorta flies in the face of the “people don’t want gun control” argument

This is reflective of the same argument for or against The Electoral College where the rural white states want and get inflated presidential and senatorial power.. Back then it was about slavery. Now it's just a bunch of bigoted crackers bitching that California and New York don't get to tell us what to do..
    If you weighted that poll by location state the way the EC works it would probably only be the background checks that still win.

Who was the comedian who said that they should just allow (or even require) everyone to carry a special gun that can only fire one bullet.
    You might be talking about Chris Rock's bit on bullet control

Weren't all guns "one and done" when The 2nd A was written?
    No They. We're. Not. Single shot is different. My interpretation of the post was guns that brick themselves after one use, forever after useless as a gun.

Probably repeating myself, but there's a Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob is running for mayor, and Homer is in the voting booth vacillating between his disapproval of Bob's "killing Bart" policy, and his support for his "killing Patty and Selma" policy.

I have friends who hate guns, but love their wealth and private property more than gun violence victims they don't know. I have neighbors who would support some level of gun control but white Jebus in the sky sez democrats kill babies. That's how public opinion on this issue isn't policy. Well, that and a massive lobby & disinformation campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    It doesn't reflect the will of the simple majority, by design. A lot of times, that's a good thing (it could become the whim of the majority otherwise), but it also makes systemic change particularly hard…
    By design? Maybe, depending on what you mean by design. But two senators per state was a political compromise, it wasn’t done to prevent the tyranny of the majority or whatever:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/hendr...-of-population

And the imbalance in Senate representation today is much worse than it was at the time the constitution was being written.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    By design? Maybe, depending on what you mean by design. But two senators per state was a political compromise, it wasn’t done to prevent the tyranny of the majority or whatever:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/hendr...-of-population

And the imbalance in Senate representation today is much worse than it was at the time the constitution was being written.
    Tyranny of the majority or preservation of some power in less-populous areas (or the "small states" of the framers' times), the result is a power shift to areas that would likely have very little voice in government if power were allocated strictly based on population.

That said, I'd argue that this is one of many issues where our two-party system and political manipulation of voting districts shows up. If we eliminated primaries and adopted ranked choice voting, we'd have significantly different political institutions because "safe" seats for one party or the other would be far more susceptible to moderate representation.

What's to prevent California and New York from each splitting in to several (like 5 each) new states solidly democrat gerrymandered? Bam, 2 states with 4 senators is now 10 states with 20 senators.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Probably repeating myself, but there's a Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob is running for mayor, and Homer is in the voting booth vacillating between his disapproval of Bob's "killing Bart" policy, and his support for his "killing Patty and Selma" policy.

I have friends who hate guns, but love their wealth and private property more than gun violence victims they don't know. I have neighbors who would support some level of gun control but white Jebus in the sky sez democrats kill babies. That's how public opinion on this issue isn't policy. Well, that and a massive lobby & disinformation campaign.
    for sure
    and also
    "Sure I acknowledge guns cause society harm, but I like them & I want as little difficulty as possible in getting them myself. I have zero responsibility on the issue to my community & I'm not willing to jump through any hoops for the privilege if I have any say in it."
    or
    "That's an urban problem. Why do I have to bear that burden?"

atlanta today
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Florida man should definitely be allowed to have a gun. https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/...m_medium=email

He was terrified that they'd get to the dryer before he could... STAND YER GROUND!!!

The guns are the problem.

NYT op Ed on toxic gun culture, free link:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/10/o...smid=share-url

Weird, I thought the "Merchant of Death" was Bass Pro Shops... Hummmm