• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 295 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Guns aren’t going away.

Turn our schools into high security facilities and take away the soft targets. Same as getting into a federal building or prison, pentagon, etc.

Problem won’t go away but at least protect the kids a little better.
    There are 130,930 K-12 schools in the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Turn our schools into high security facilities and take away the soft targets. Same as getting into a federal building or prison, pentagon, etc.

Sounds like a lovely way to live.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    We have to do better than this.
    I do and have for the last few decades of owning some incredibly lethal firearms.
    Not asking for an award for not robbing banks and not rampaging, or even for not shooting ppl who deserve it, but a little recognition that 99.99999% of us American gun owners don't do this shit would only be fair as we kneejerk our way through the American Experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Don't worry, Congress will surely do something.

We are pathetic as a nation.
    Maybe it doesn't call for a national response hammer? The South Bronx is not the same as The Dirty South Boise.
    Then again, sitting in front of the TV or a 1PS 3+hrs/day is pretty much nationwide.

Enough ppl got mad at kid drunks and stinky saloons we got Prohibition as a damn Constitutional Amendment and the Volstead Act as US Code. I doubt we could manage anything like that these days. Ppl just do what their social networks tell them to anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    It’s CRTs fault right? Or is it LGBT? Furrys in high schools? Masks?
    Desegregation and Roe v Wade, Jimmy Carter and fiat currency!!

Guns aren’t going away.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah. Spend more tax $ on that when conservatives go apeshit when paying any taxes..if the Republican party politicians were slaughtered by one of those murderers then adequate and sensible gun laws could be enacted.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Well the pro-life (ironic)/pro-gun folks in Texas certainly won't let change happen. The fix is in for good. This is our reality. And it sucks. I'm not anti-gun, btw, but I think it's atrocious that even sensible laws aren't being put into place to get a grip on this, America's true pandemic, the number one cause of death for school-aged children IIRC.

I feel for all of you who have children and have to worry about this shit. Heck even in the grocery store yesterday the thought crossed my mind as I scanned the aisles for anyone looking suspicious as I walked by.

Third-world shit here. America's terrorism. Nothing will change because nothing did after Sandy Hook. If that didn't change people's minds, nothing will.

And kids growing up in front of a tv playing realistic sinister games blasting away all of their opponents certainly takes away the brutality from a confused teenager's mind, IMO. Guarantee you that kid/man felt nothing as he did it. I've been through that town and there is literally nothing to do for kids. And nobody wants to go outside in 90 degree heat with high humidity.

We as humans suck. Greedy, selfish as fuck. There is no common decency anymore, no concern for our fellow human beings. We can do better. But collectively, we won't.

Just lovely.
    "Hey kiddo, aren't you excited to go to school today?"

"No, why does school have to be like this?"

"We'll buddy, some people like to keep dozens and dozens of guns, and sometimes they get stolen, or sometimes the person goes crazy, and then they shoot kids, so the building is like that to keep you safe."

"Why can't people just not have guns? Then nobody would get shot."

"Silly kid, we would never want to infringe on someone's freedom. Have fun at school!"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNBHM526Q5FB3KBRYACRS4ARYY.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	417335
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Thoughts and prayers. That'll help, right?
    Jill Biden is still trying to make sense of it.

A person close to first lady Jill Biden tells CNN she is “stunned and trying to make sense of it,” in regard to the elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas.

She really must be stunned. I mean there have only been 30 other school shootings THIS YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Jill Biden is still trying to make sense of it.

A person close to first lady Jill Biden tells CNN she is “stunned and trying to make sense of it,” in regard to the elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas.

She really must be stunned. I mean there have only been 30 other school shootings THIS YEAR.
    I'm stunned. And pissed.
    If you lose your gun, or if you leave it out, and someone gets it and kills somebody with it, you should go to prison. Negligent.
    sigless.

My city and neighborhood is a war zone...

Everyone with a gun says "it's not me, take that criminal's gun". ... and at any given moment that same person could snap and suddenly be the next criminal... or leaves a loaded gun unsecured where a criminal can easily steal it.. like thier glove box/console in the car..

This is why we need sane and rational representatives to collectively agree to do something that will piss off a lot of us.. but will also put us on the path to reducing the supply of WMDs floating around in the hands of good guys, bad guys, and soon to be bad guys/gals..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

And there we have it folks.

Pretty much summarized the shit show here in America in the first 2 pages of this thread. Soon to be polyass

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Just lovely.
    "Hey kiddo, aren't you excited to go to school today?"

"No, why does school have to be like this?"

"We'll buddy, some people like to keep dozens and dozens of guns, and sometimes they get stolen, or sometimes the person goes crazy, and then they shoot kids, so the building is like that to keep you safe."

"Why can't people just not have guns? Then nobody would get shot."

"Silly kid, we would never want to infringe on someone's freedom. Have fun at school!"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNBHM526Q5FB3KBRYACRS4ARYY.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	417335
    Let’s not overreact here.

Lock the fucking doors and keep them locked.

Many schools do this already.

I can drive right to my daughters school and walk inside anytime I want. I’d give up that freedom.

Guns aren’t going away.

Let's take this another step. Let's turn EVERY public building, park, and place of business in to one with metal detectors and armed guards ensuring NOBODY gets to bring their gun anywhere. They can leave it at home or leave it in a locker at the range. Anyone not an on duty LEO caught with a gun, any gun outside of those situations goes away for a very LOOOOOONG time.

Hunting rifles/shotguns OK outside of city limits on hunting property..

Next month will be a record month for gun sales.

Think about that.

If only there was something we could do...

Why exactly do the NRA and GOP resist registering firearms and requiring training and licensing users, you know exactly like we do with those other deadly machines called automobiles.
    Will it prevent every incident - nope just like it doesn’t prevent some people getting behind the wheel but i sure think it’d help.
    Would any of you self proclaimed responsible gun-owners really object to such a situation and if so why?

And there we have it folks.

Pretty much summarized the shit show here in America in the first 2 pages of this thread. Soon to be polyass

How many additional law enforcement officers would be required to reach the level of security you're suggesting?

There are already 800-900K cops in the USA.

Probably have to come close to doubling that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I basically accept that USA will be lenient and have a latitude towards fire arms. There's not enough appetite for meaningful change.

But what I cannot forgive is how we've fetishized it. We've made it really fucking weird. Like pray to the gun. Behold the golden calf gun. Bow to the gun altar. The mentality is bizarre and we have created a gun-first answer to problems.

If only there was something we could do...

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    How many additional law enforcement officers would be required to reach the level of security you're suggesting?

It may not be the solution you want, but a community can take that action themselves and not wait on a holes in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Yup. Probably

Guns aren’t going away.

This idea has merit - and it has been implemented in some communities.

Some of the other responses are interesting - claims that it could never be accomplished. perhaps not, but I am more interested in hearing other solutions, than claims securing schools is impossible.

I do think it is too easy to claim this is Congress' problem -
    if there is community will(-power), this is something that begins in the local community.

my Condolences to the San Antonio community. and to parents of young children...

another sad day in the usofa...

tj

The majority of those solutions would require some funding at the state level. Which means you'd need to convince the seat warmers to do something. If you're going to go to that length, why not change the state laws to require expanded background checks, licensing and mental health evals of some kind in order to purchase a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    I basically accept that USA will be lenient and have a latitude towards fire arms. There's not enough appetite for meaningful change.

But what I cannot forgive is how we've fetishized it. We've made it really fucking weird. Like pray to the gun. Behold the golden calf gun. Bow to the gun altar. The mentality is bizarre and we have created a gun-first answer to problems.
    Might makes right... I'm braver about sharing, loudly, my unpopular opinion on sociopolitical hot topics when I'm armed.. Also makes me more likely to clap back at other assholes in traffic.. 'Murika!

That's a big reason why I choose NOT to carry and leave my shit at home, properly secured..

Sen. Murphy: “Spare me the bullshit about mental illness.

“We don't have any more mental illness than any other country in the world.

“You cannot explain this through a prism of mental illness because we don't we're not an outlier on mental illness.”

Skiing sux here, but I like my representation

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    It may not be the solution you want, but a community can take that action themselves and not wait on... DC
    +1.

I do not understand why it would take 6-8 additional 'officers' per school to greatly enhance security -
    Access is a primary concern. Many municipal buildings are going to a single, Restricted Access entry point process ( current entries become emergency exits )
    Some additional security personnel has merit, but I don't know that police officers are necessarily the best personnel for this duty - though partnership between school district and ( law / public safety / EMS ) certainly seems to have merit.

it is important that schools are Safe(-r ); schools are not prisons...
    the goal is to keep the 'bad guys' out.

but let's go back to the idea of community Safety / neighborhood Safety than wishing that Congress would fix this.

tj

Violent crime has seen an uptick since the pandemic started, but before that it has been dropping since the peak in the late 80s.

Sadly cops in schools are more often predatory towards the kids than they are protectors, involving them in the legal system unnecessarily.

Gun control is probably the single most divisive issue in the US these days, during a time in which we need unity and less division.

Again, violent crime has been dropping for a long time, which does not seem like the case if you watch the news. Sure there are things to be done, but there has been an improving trend for a while, and further solutions should be considered as not being unequivocally good. There is a lot of room for improvement in the care of mentally ill.

Almost all mass shooters are on a cocktail of multiple meds, which aren't well enough understood. Anti psychotics sometimes make people who aren't violent start being violent. They prescribe them as a lot more than just anti psychotics.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.