Shotgun/Macride/something else?

What's the best kids seat (shotgun/macride style) out there these days? Looking for something for my 2.5 y/o, to slap on my beater around town bike...

thanks

I have a shotgun seat for my little man. He seems to do just fine in it and hasn't fallen out. He loves riding on it tbh. BUT if I had to do it again I'd probably get something like the Bell Mini Shell front carrier as i think it would provide a little more peace of mind having him buckled in.

I also should mention I'm trying to step it up from my current rear mounted classic baby seat we're currently using...so probably trying to steer away from the bell mini shell you mentioned, as it's very close to what we currently do. He's not quite ready to play with his balance bike yet, just a bit too short for it still

Get the Mac-ride and enjoy!

In town cargo bike for the win. Macride for trails.

we've got a friends hand me down mac-ride and it's served it's purpose thus far, easy to take on and off quickly and switch between bikes if you have a couple of the steerer tube rings.

used an early prototype MacRide for three kids over numerous years. They have made improvements to the newer versions, but we used the crap out of ours and the kids loved it. It is pretty cool to ride (decent) trails and have your kid between your arms and "riding" with you.. easy to talk them through what is happening so they get a sense of how to ride the trail. Took one bigger spill over the years trying something I shouldn't with a child on my bike, and they bounced back and kept riding... but I don't advise doing anything too aggressive on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    I also should mention I'm trying to step it up from my current rear mounted classic baby seat we're currently using...so probably trying to steer away from the bell mini shell you mentioned, as it's very close to what we currently do. He's not quite ready to play with his balance bike yet, just a bit too short for it still
    I suspect your kid won't reach the pegs on the normal shotgun seat but hard saying. We've been using the shotgun with our guy since he was about 13 months (so he didn't reach the pegs then) and like I said he does well on it and hasn't fallen off. I personally don't see much of difference between the shotgun and macride. But haven't compared em too much.

Had the Yepp mini mounted on the front of my road bike, when my daughter outgrew it we went to the Shotgun on my MTB. She absolutely loves the shotgun, calls it "our bike" and now steers as much as I do. I think the shotgun would be tougher w a little kid but for a 3-4 year old it's been amazing.

We've got mac rides for our guys (a little under 2yo). Only used them a couple times so far, but they seem great. Kids love it, and they seem reasonably secure. Did a couple miles of smooth single-track on our first outing. And they're super easy to remove / re-install.

Macride great so far. Easy on and off. Make sure you have at least 10mm space to spare on the steerer tube.

I did two mods so far;

1) elastic bands to hold the heel / ankle into the footsteps stove kiddos feet were sliding out

2 ) adhesive boot fitting foam onto the inside of the foot peg tubes to protect top and bottom tubes

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I used a Macride with my son and we loved it. I machined some custom spacers to get it to fit over my ebike and that was the key to making it more fun for both of us.