ISO: Outstanding Pet F. West Coast Beach House

Mid to late September. My wife and I would like to spend 5-7 days with our dog (and maybe older kids) at a nice beach in Cali. OR or WA. We'd like a good laid back vibe, with plenty of water activities (Kayak, surf, SUP). I'd like to be able to bring my Chess to the beach for swims.
    Whatcha' got?
    I bet that it is getting cold in northern Cali and Oregon.
    Are there any fjords on the west coast?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Nice camping on the bluff overlooking the beach at San Elijo State Beach in Cardiff (San Diego). Check for reservations pronto.

You’ll need a wetsuit to go in the water just about anywhere on the west coast, other than maybe San Diego.

If it were me, and I had the money to spare, I’d head for the Monterey/Carmel area, because of the good food and other things to do in the area. But it will be crowded.

But, if solitude is what you want, there should be lots of semi-deserted beaches in Northern California and Southern Oregon around that time.

As far as fjords, you might find something like that in Big Sur.

ISO: Outstanding Pet F. West Coast Beach House

The only “fjords” would be in Puget Sound or the west coast of Vancouver Island. I guess you could consider Tomales Bay out at Point Reyes a “fjord”.

A rental somewhere on Hood Canal would check most of your boxes. Western WA is nice mid September. It’s not the coast but it’s salt water.

If salt water isn’t mandatory, a rental on Lake Chelan would be nice that time of year. Perfect weather and great water for swimming and paddling. Crowds are mostly gone after Labor Day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Avila beach in Central California. Checks all the boxes. Beach allows dogs before 10 am and after 5 pm. It is super nice there mid/late September (unless California is burning down again).
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

We've rented dog friendly houses at Stinson Beach, in Marin County. It's not warm water but I've spent time in the water there without a wet suit--not a lot of time, but not just quick in and out. People surf there but AFAIK the waves stay small except in big storms. Surfers wear wet suits but you should be able to SUP (if you can stay out of the water) and kayak without one. September is about the warmest, least windy time of the year on that stretch of coast
    The state park beach is no dogs, but the beach in front of the houses is dog friendly and accessible even if you don't rent a beach front house. Lots of shore birds for your dog to chase.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Mid to late September. My wife and I would like to spend 5-7 days with our dog (and maybe older kids) at a nice beach in Cali. OR or WA. We'd like a good laid back vibe, with plenty of water activities (Kayak, surf, SUP). I'd like to be able to bring my Chess to the beach for swims.
    Whatcha' got?
    Sounds like my kind of vacation.

We like the Gold Beach area. Some really cool beaches down around the Pistol River just south of town, lots of accessible and dog friendly beaches along town and the Rogue River comes out of the mountains.
    Redwoods just across the Cali border, 12 miles south and the Smith River just a few miles further. Lots of options for surf and kayak with jet boat rides up the Rogue and remote roadless lodges up there.

We stayed at Irelands Rustic cabins which are decent but slightly funky, right on the beach. Maybe not sufficiently Haute for some. There's a snootier spot just up the Rogue River called the Tun Tun lodge that supposedly has a good restaurant.

_the_ place to eat in Gold Beach is 'Anna's By The Sea' run by a madman mondo gourmando named Peter Dower. He usually has duck breast, beef and lamb steaks with short seasonal menus, but each main has always been top notch and his wine lists, charcuterie and cheese plates are unparalleled along the Oregon coast.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Whatcha' got?
    Avila, Morro Bay, Cayucos. September on Central Coast is great weather, water is cool, but swimmable. Kayaking and surfing in MB and nearby. Pismo dunes have ATV rentals, which is fun. Good wine tasting in Templeton, Paso and Edna Valley. SLO is a nice town, Santa Barbara is a day trip. FYI…MB is MUCH foggier than other places.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    You’ll need a wetsuit to go in the water just about anywhere on the west coast, other than maybe San Diego.
    Bullshit. Anything Santa Barbara South is plenty warm
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Tofino, Vancouver Island

Great info here. . Much appreciated.Looking into all these options. Thanks!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    We like the Gold Beach area. Some really cool beaches down around the Pistol River just south of town, lots of accessible and dog friendly beaches along town and the Rogue River comes out of the mountains.
    Redwoods just across the Cali border, 12 miles south and the Smith River just a few miles further. Lots of options for surf and kayak with jet boat rides up the Rogue and remote roadless lodges up there.

We stayed at Irelands Rustic cabins which are decent but slightly funky, right on the beach. Maybe not sufficiently Haute for some. There's a snootier spot just up the Rogue River called the Tun Tun lodge that supposedly has a good restaurant.

_the_ place to eat in Gold Beach is 'Anna's By The Sea' run by a madman mondo gourmando named Peter Dower. He usually has duck breast, beef and lamb steaks with short seasonal menus, but each main has always been top notch and his wine lists, charcuterie and cheese plates are unparalleled along the Oregon coast.
    Turns out Peter Dower died last October and Anna's is closed. We're bummed, he was absolutely one of the great bon vivants, had an incredible wine list, made his own cheeses and served dishes at hist tiny restaurant that made us gasp with delight per bite. He used to sit down and share wine if he had a break between courses. With Anna's closed, Gold Beach isn't the draw for us it once was.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I like Yachats, OR.