Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Dayuum that’s a heavy first album.

And their second release.

I just gave away a first edition of their first album Heavy. That was even more heavy.

Painting my shed today and a song pops into my head. The first song I remember. Was top of the charts. Me in my backyard in the summer.

Maybe the Illinois is the hook. That’s where I was as a toehead.
    And. He wrote it for his son about the same age as me. Weird.

Never seen a video of it. Pretty cool. CCR still rocks.

Per wiki
    =======

The song's lyrics, filled with colorful, dream-like imagery, lead some to believe that it is about drugs. According to the drug theory, the "flying spoon" was a reference to a cocaine or heroin spoon, and the crazy animal images were an acid trip. Fogerty, however, has stated in interviews that the song was actually written for his then three-year-old son, Josh. Fogerty has also said that the reference to a parade passing by was inspired by the Dr. Seuss book And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street.[3]

The song begins and ends with the mention of Illinois, and locking the front door in a vain attempt to prevent his troubles there from following him home.

Not proud of it but it was this:
    Name:  Autograph_-_That's_the_Stuff.jpeg
Views: 289
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  Run-D.M.C..jpg
Views: 290
Size:  100.5 KB

AC/DC Back in Black. I memba bringing that in and getting the 5th grade teacher to play Hells Bells during our end of year party.

Was either 5th or 6th grade that I forged my way into the Columbia Records and Tapes Club to get the 12 tapes for the price of 1.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I was given or had access to an eclectic assortment of albums from a young age - Kingston Trio, Beach Boys, Old Hank and some other country, Classical compilations, Disney albums, etc - but didn't start buying them until I bought a 16w Kenwood receiver, Altec speakers and Technics turntable in 1978. [I bought the speakers, my parents bought the rest...]

I bought VH1, Frampton Comes Alive, Zep II, Electric Ladyland, Yessongs, and a bootleg Beatles "Rock & Roll Music"- all on the same trip to the TG&Y, which had a discount rack filled with older releases and otw compilations. Pretty sure I paid full price $12-$13 for the Van Halen and the Frampton, but the rest were $5ish.

Back in that day, going to the local record store was an event. The smell of vinyl and incense, and they had a big case full of plastic bongs and brass bowls and heady artifacts... Smokin' hot way-cooler-than-you chicks worked there, and guys you'd normally only see at concerts. I specifically remember scoring 2 History Of compilations there the same day - Eric Clapton and John McLaughlin - which really sunk their teeth in. I still think John McLaughlin is off the hook.

First CD I ever bought was Graceland, which I think came free with a Panasonic CD player.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 3.36.03 PM.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	677.2 KB 
ID:	417332

I had $5 to spend at the used bookstore we visited while on summer vacation. I bet my parents wanted me to buy a book but how you gonna resist this cover? I had no idea who these guys were but they had a song called "Hotter than Hell" and that spoke to me.

HA… mine was Kiss destroyer!

I know that I said In A Gadda Da Vida but it could have just as easily been hot rocks
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Cream, Disraeli Gears.

First album to buy with my own money from doing chores, played it on mom's record player. It was another 7 years before I actually saw a beach for the first time.

Name:  BeachBoys.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  13.0 KB

A year or two later, I bought this:

Name:	Boston.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	417341

As the 80s rolled around, I also remember my first 8-track, which, in theory at the time, was to replace vinyl (until cassettes came along). I think that 8-track player I had lasted a whole month, so back to vinyl for the time being.

Name:  OliviaNewtonJohn8Track.jpeg
Views: 320
Size:  16.6 KB

And Danno, Foreigner 4 was a great album IMO. Don't be embarrassed. I bought this album, too, much to mom's dismay:

Name:	REO80s.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	417342

...lotta memory evoking nostalgia.

11yrs old - My own money... Mom dropped me off at the music store and drove around the block a few times.

A 45LP - "Hey Jude" and the throw away song on the flip side - "Revolution". Had to drop the little insert in the center if your "record player" didn't have the drop on insert or the pop up thingy

https://youtu.be/BGLGzRXY5Bw
    Last edited by Gepeto; 06-19-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Dazed one whole side and Whole Lotta Love kinda gave me the jeebeez, but I loved it all.

First CD I bought was Pearl Jam - Versus. Good album, but I haven't listened to it in years.

Not sure what the first cassette I bought was. Maybe something from AC/DC? Maybe Appetite for Destruction?

And this thread is great. So much great music in here. The age of the album was great. Plenty of great new music too, but it's not quite the same.

First album was either Tommy on prerecorded cassette, ELO’s Out of the Blue on vinyl or Kiss Double Platinum on vinyl, don’t remember exactly, was right in that 77/78 timeframe

First CD was the 11 for a penny deal from Columbia House.

When they started sending the collection notices I wrote "fuck you I am 7 years old" on them and returned them. Pretty soon they stopped.

I was not really 7 years old and I am sure I will pay for that sin. I still have most of those discs.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The first album or CD you bought

My first CD was Talking Heads Naked. Which also happens to be the first fully digitally recorded album if I remember correctly. Quite exciting at the time.

No idea on first cassette.

Name:  EBFD4E5F-1AC0-46C4-975B-5086CCACD01D.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  48.2 KB

Woah, I'd heard it that the first digitally recorded album was Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms. Which happens to be the first one I bought--on vinyl.

Quick search shows "first digital album" to be as hotly contested as upstate New York.

My 1st CD was Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions.

Mind-blowing digital recording for the time.

Bop Till You Drop is Ry Cooder's eighth album, released in 1979. The album was the first digitally recorded major-label album in popular music. Bop Till You Drop was recorded on a digital 32-track machine built by 3M.[5][6]

The album consists almost entirely of covers of earlier rhythm and blues and rock and roll classics, including Elvis Presley's "Little Sister" and the 1965 Fontella Bass-Bobby McClure hit "Don't Mess Up a Good Thing", on which Cooder duetted with soul star Chaka Khan. Khan also performed on the only original track on the album, "Down in Hollywood".
    Lotta qualifications in that red. Great album though. Til it was stolen along with all my vinyl from a storage unit in SLC in 84. Brothers in Arms and Naked were/are also great works.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

First album I actually bought was Chunky A - Large and in Charge.

https://youtu.be/aYkgbOXrV9c

Arsenio Hall’s album making fun of fat people.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The first album or CD you bought

Name:  Image1655566740.986775.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  39.5 KB

I was 11. Mom had to approve it, though I probably would have picked it anyways. My musical tastes weren’t very refined. Still aren’t.
    focus.

Huh. Guess I'm wrong about the Heads being first. In my defense, I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

Ca chunk
    That sound brings back memories, all of them good.

I grew up with three older brothers and a father with an impressive record collection. Still have a lot of his 78s. Fats Waller, swing music, classics. Didn't need to buy records for many years having that family entertaining me. Regardless, you eventually want to dip your foot into something different and spend some coin. Likely Zubin Mehta conducting the LA philharmonic's version of Holst's Planets was the first purchase with Zappa and Hot Rats shortly thereafter.

The kids got me a new turntable awhile ago and I'm working on getting one of the bedrooms turned into a listening room so that I can dust this stuff off.