Wide fit light hikers/trail runners

I have started doing more hiking this year as my son and his friend want to go despite my efforts to get him on a MTB. I need some better hiking shoes for day hikes this summer to keep my feet happy in this activity.
    I have wide forefeet and narrow heels and my feet get hot so I want non waterproof for the summer. Thinking a heavy duty trail runner or a lighter hiking shoe with some cushion and stiff enough to face some rocks.
    I currently have some Merrill zions that are fine around town but the heel fit is sloppy on the trail. In the past I had salmon Xa pro wide that fit great but wear fast and are a bit flimsy in rocky terrain.
    Any suggestions on shoes to try before I waste a bunch of time shopping?

La Sportiva tx series or UltraRaptor. They’re mostly non membrane

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^X2
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    La Sportiva tx series or UltraRaptor. They’re mostly non membrane

La Sportiva always seemed to be on a narrow last. These are different?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    La Sportiva always seemed to be on a narrow last. These are different?
    They don’t fit like their climbing shoes. So, yes, they fit different. I’d still try them on. Also, the TX Guide is super narrow.

Will see if I can find the tx3s to try on, past experience is hit and miss on Italian shoes for my flipper feet.

I need a wide toe box, but have a narrow heel. I have been using Altras (lone peak 4s) for awhile. No complaints other than $.

ETA: missed your point about heavier duty. These are definitely on the lighter end of the spectrum. Have done multi day backpacks with them around the volcanoes and have been perfectly happy. Definitely not ultra cushy though.

I have a wide forefoot and narrow heels. The following trail runners have worked well for me recently:

La Sportiva Bushido II size 11
    Hoka Torrents size 10 (unlike most Hokas these don't have a ton of cushion)
    Saucony Peregrine size 10 or 10.5 (depending on which version)

The Peregrines are typically much less durable so I've stopped buying them. I have tried Altras a while back and hated them. The heel cup was too big and the floppy soles were bad on rocky terrain. But if your feet are seriously wide they are worth a look, and they have a bigger range of models than they used to.

As someone with fairly skinny heels (with bone spurs from skiing) and wide-ish forefoot I'll second the TX3s. The ability to change the lacing up to fit your foot/activity better is super important to me. I wear them for everything from around town to alpine scrambling.

The Hoka Torrent are also worth checking out. I loved the fit and feelt but consider them more disposable than other shoes. You'll go through them much quicker than anything with a vibram sole and reinforced upper.

I have narrow heel/wide in front and I've had 2 pair of the La sportiva wildcats which are the previous model to whats on line

my feet also like the Dynafit Vulcans if that helps
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’ve always liked the way Keen shoes fit my feet.
    I’m on my 3rd pair of hikers and I’ve got a pair of the composite toe boots for work. And my toe-cap flip flops are almost 20 years old now.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Topo Athletic. Get some of their trail runners, they’ve got a 30-day money back guarantee.

Not as much of a boat as Altras, much more precise fit through mid food and ankle. They also wear like iron, I’ve got 500 miles on a pair of UltraVentures and the uppers look almost new (unlike Altras who I have had fall apart within 100 miles several times).

Depending on the shape of your wide feet, I wouldn’t recommend Sportivas. I have wide feet all the way out to my pinkie toe plus a bit of a 6th toe. Sportivas generally taper quickly for the smaller toes, cutting them off. Topos have more length in the outer toe area.

La sportive ultra raptor II comes in wide
    44.5 and I’m mostly 10.5. Stupid light, narrow heel and DE fore foot. Really great hiker and breathe well.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)