Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lacrosse 2022 (For the 3 of us that care)

Late start to be discussing NCAA, I know, but the level of play this year and the depth of talent are awesome. If you can manage to navigate to it without spoiling the outcome, the Delaware vs Georgetown game in round 1 was probably my favorite. Rutgers/Penn and Princeton/Yale were also great.

Not sure you-know-who will face that much competition, but it would be stunning and amazing to see an upset.

Beyond that, looking forward to the PLL season, apart from it now being on ESPN's shitty app.

UVa got shelled by UMd this weekend

[ETA] YoutubeTV in my area seems to have an ACC channel so tournament lax games can be saved/watched when they hit

Maryland's just too good this year, they'll romp if they stay focused. In the past they've earned a reputation for starting the party way too early (like after the quarterfinals) but supposedly the team has taken a straight edge pledge until after the final this year and are fired up and ready to go.

I was hoping Delaware with the (coincidental) Ukraine color scheme might beat Cornell but no dice.

In D3 I was hoping for Tufts to win it but after beating always-tough Salisbury they had to play RIT the next day and, kind of predictably, lost. Crazy they had to play two days in a row but there it is.

All-Upstate (or is it??) RIT-Union final next Sunday @ 1:00 EDT.

I miss the glory days of Syracuse dominance

Oh, so you're the one.

I was wondering what happened to Albany - they pretty much fell off the face of the earth after being really good in the recent past. But I did notice they beat Syracuse.

Orange gets Joey Spallina next year and a smarter (hopefully) Gait. Expect better things.

Re: Maryland. Rambo would have told them to fuck right off with a straight edge pledge.

Also, Lake Tahoe Lacrosse Tournament 7/14-16 in Incline Village!

Probably going to goto the NCAA Final in East Hartford on Monday w/the boy for lack of anything else to do.

I think old school Mag MMP's kid is playing in the D3 final for Union that day if you do go.

edit: Apparently the D3 final is Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I miss the glory days of Syracuse dominance
    When I lived outside of Syracuse, we went to every SU home game and most of the playoffs that were local; saw all 4 years of Mike Powell's time there. Kid was an incredible athlete and the most chill dude you'd ever want to meet. Really good with the local kids. My next door neighbor's son was D3 Player of the Year 2 years in a row (he played for Cortland)...he was a better hockey player.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I think old school Mag MMP's kid is playing in the D3 final for Union that day if you do go.

edit: Apparently the D3 final is Sunday
    Step-son, but yeah, he plays for Union

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Step-son
    Oh are we crafting a legal document? My bad.

Oh, so you're the one.

I was wondering what happened to Albany - they pretty much fell off the face of the earth after being really good in the recent past. But I did notice they beat Syracuse.
    Gonna guess that losing the Thompson bros probably a big part of that?

Can't believe we lost to MIT, but doesn't matter, we woulda gotten crushed by RIT anyway. Guess I'll root for Union.

Losing to MIT doesn't really get you a lot of street cred. When did you guys become the Mammoths? I don't think I knew you went there. My kid was recruited to play there but he had D1 blinders on, I wish he had gone there. Kind of a funny story about him and Amherst, remind me next time I see you man.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    When I lived outside of Syracuse, we went to every SU home game and most of the playoffs that were local; saw all 4 years of Mike Powell's time there. Kid was an incredible athlete and the most chill dude you'd ever want to meet. Really good with the local kids. My next door neighbor's son was D3 Player of the Year 2 years in a row (he played for Cortland)...he was a better hockey player.

Step-son, but yeah, he plays for Union
    That’s cool.

I went to SU during the Casey Powell era…I think they won almost every year and going to the final 4 wasn’t a question. Saw them win it all in Maryland and in NJ. Those teams were so freaking good.

Oh, so you're the one.
    Turns out there are a few of us. I was there for the Gait brothers era. Got hooked watching lacrosse because a roommate managed one for the concession stands in the dome. Lacrosse games were $5 to get in and he’d load us up with free food and beers.

I’ll admit, I don’t watch much, if any lacrosse, if SU isn’t in it. Haven’t watched in a few years unfortunately.

Losing to MIT doesn't really get you a lot of street cred. When did you guys become the Mammoths? I don't think I knew you went there. My kid was recruited to play there but he had D1 blinders on, I wish he had gone there. Kind of a funny story about him and Amherst, remind me next time I see you man.
    LOL for sure, and I went to MIT after Amherst, so it's doubly funny. They switched mascots only 5 years ago, though it seems longer - even when I matriculated long ago, a lot of us were uncomfortable having a mass murderer as our mascot, so it was long overdue.

A lot has changed since I was there - even though I loved it and thought I had a great edjumacashun, from what I can gather Amherst seems a lot less fun nowadays, though still a good place to learn - your kid prolly did fine decision-wise.

Actually gonna be in Western Mass next week for reunion.

Well it was a pretty weird nickname anyways. The Jumbos of Tufts defeated longtime powerhouse Salisbury, and then the next day had to play RPI. And lost, not too surprisingly. Awesome scheduling by the NCAA.

Umm tech talk below

Best 2022 head for offensive midfielder? Not looking for a face-off head

Will be stringing my third head this year as my kid keeps breaking them. Went through a ecd mirage, Stx stallion omega, and I am hoping to warranty the omega for a stallion 900.

For some reason I like stx but it’s probably nostalgia as that’s what I used decades ago.

Also anyone try this company for shafts?
    https://www.savagexlacrosse.com/

Savage will be fine, I'm sure.

Your kid has to learn to string their own heads!

ECD mirage was going to be my call but you ate one of those already. Bummer, great head.

Try a Maverik Tactik 2.0

Let’s go Dutchmen. They were miserable when I was in school there but cool to see an upstate derby. Will grab some UC and steam.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pretty proud of my Bonnies to be ranked 40th in Div I, seeing how they were a club team a short while ago.

Looking forward to our Ruggers defending their national title in New Orleans this weekend.
    Another club team gone legit.

Klauss, I tie probably 50 heads a season. I don't have a ton of experience with all of them, but I do have a ton of experience with under armour's command and command 2.0 (and command low, as well).

It's a proven head at the college level. It bowls right down the middle. The same pattern that throws dimes for 3rd graders also pings corners at 100mph (not when I'm shooting, but someone good, sure). It has a good balance of pinch without being all throat like several of the most popular heads (kinetik, for sure, and formerly, the CEO). Kids get these heads because they're cool. They're awesome to shoot with, etc, but then they miss a pass here and there, and can no longer be lazy on ground balls. It makes difference in game.

Anyway. Used the piss out of these over the past 7 years (not these in the pictures, but in general). They're all still going strong. I'm sure there are other heads that can fill exactly the same role, but this is what I landed on.

Easy to string too. I just strung up 2 new ones tonight when I checked this thread, so here are some pics. Patterns are slightly different for 3 of them, and I like them all for different reasons and different applications (you can set it up with a high pocket for LSM/outside shooter or middle for everything else. For the pure dodging attackman, I like the command Low a bit better. Vastly underappreciated head, and my gamer in old man league). Anyway, I got extras if you want to try it out, but realistically just get one with some 4x or 4s and call it good.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Fancy Mattig.

Haven’t considered the UA heads. I’ll page re lacrosse soon.

Yeah, goal is to get the boys to string their own at some point.

I’m certainly a hack at this, but aiming to get better. Latest for a kid’s teammate (criticism welcome)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3498.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	417354

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Fancy Mattig.

Haven’t considered the UA heads. I’ll page re lacrosse soon.

Yeah, goal is to get the boys to string their own at some point.

I’m certainly a hack at this, but aiming to get better. Latest for a kid’s teammate (criticism welcome)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3498.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	417354
    Surgeon?

I'd consider myself a hack too, but no obvious issues that I see. In fact, you got your top 4 diamonds pulled down tight with a logical shift to bagginess after that.

Surgeon would be another one of those heads like the kinetik, IMO. Nothing's better, assuming the ball is already in your stick.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk