Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First road bike. Anything I should know?!

Never had a road bike until today, got a budget Giant Contend AR4 Disc for the long paved miles I do in spring to get my legs working.

I've owned hardtails, full suspension xc, full suspension DH and a fatbike but never a road bike.

I know road tires get inflated to a much higher psi, but beyond that is there anything I should know? (Planning to stick with flat pedals for now)

I'm guessing cornering at speed will be a completely different feel.

Also, what is this extra part it came with?

Seems to be the same profile as the seat tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220522_172836.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	854.3 KB 
ID:	417172

Any tips or input is greatly appreciated.

I’d suggest moving on from flats…just get over it. Pedaling is so much better locked in.
    If you’re weirded out by that, get MTB clipless shoes (instead of road style) and walking won’t feel so stupid if you stop to go into a 7-11 to get some Gatorade or a coffee

Pic looks like a seat post collar, but i didn’t stay at a holiday inn express last night

Looks like a seat post collar with attachment points for a rear rack.

And yeah, flats on the road is no fun.

You basically just rail corners on a road bike. Friction is so much higher than dirt and the radius of the turns is much larger. Counter steer and look through the turn. Watch out for low friction spots such as paint and gravel.

Make sure your fit is dialed before settling in for a lot of mileage, repetitive strain from a bad setup can lead to annoying and frustrating injury.

The area where I live now is not particularly friendly to road cyclists and I miss the long days exploring quiet and scenic roads.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post

And yeah, flats on the road is no fun.
    Just to x3 this. Doesn’t have to be fancy. I’ve got some 60 dollar dicks shoes and spd. Night and day over flats. Actually have some extra spd cleats those may be outdated lol.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Drivers are assholes, distracted, inattentive or sometimes a mix of those three things. Keep your head up and assume the worst from drivers.

And get blinkie lights, lots of blinkie lights and reflective clothing.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Running the front in blinkie mode in the day underrated. Maybe not underrated, but easy to forget.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 4.43.22 PM.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	417173

No. Blinks lights might make you more visible and annoying but they make depth perception harder for drivers. Constant or pulsing lights ftw.

Whatever, I just meant something illuminated in some way.

Flats, let me guess, shorts over bibs too? Come on man.

I love road bikes. From last Wednesday night, hammer down on the deserted farm roads in the Shire

Name:	Image1653260708.257876.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	417176

My rig from last Thursday on a nice, easy evening spin

Name:	Image1653260647.341068.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	417175
    crab in my shoe mouth

Blinking, flashing lights, and bright clothing.

Do not wear all black.

Despite the dork factor, consider a mirror somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    No. Blinks lights might make you more visible and annoying but they make depth perception harder for drivers. Constant or pulsing lights ftw.
    Do you think this is also true in the daytime? IMO blinking is the way to go in daylight hours, since they can see your whole body for depth perception so the light is just to gain attention. At night, one blinking and one solid seems appropriate.

After riding on the road for nearly 30 years I've finally started riding in the center of the lane by default. Unless there is a wide, clean shoulder or full-sized bike lane, I take the lane. Since I started doing this (several hundred miles ago), I've had far fewer negative driver interactions. My hypothesis is that they are forced to slow down and pass me as though I were a tractor or something, so the temptation to stay in my lane while passing is reduced. I'd rather they get pissed than accidentally sideswipe me, though no one has even honked, including on one section of road that I previously avoided because it seemed to always have aggressive drivers.

Clipless road pedals are great, and you'll get used to walking on the huge cleats.

Don't forget to follow the Rules. https://www.velominati.com
    Last edited by climberevan; 05-22-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Beware, though, you might start sympathizing with that kook in Mnpls/St. Paul, resist the temptation to act like him.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

After riding on the road for nearly 30 years I've finally started riding in the center on the lane by default. Unless there is a wide, clean shoulder or full-sized bike lane, I take the lane. Since I started doing this (several hundred miles ago), I've had far fewer negative driver interactions. My hypothesis is that they are forced to slow down and pass me as though I were a tractor or something, so the temptation to stay in my lane while passing is reduced. I'd rather they get pissed than accidentally sideswipe me, though no one has even honked, including on one section of road that I previously avoided because it seemed to always have aggressive drivers.
    Was it my influential argument from few weeks ago on the Varia and taking the lane? .

While I’m in favor of taking the lane, the whole don’t be a dick rings true. I will often pull to edge and wave people past when it’s safe to do so. That guy in Minneapolis may be right, but he’s still a dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think this is also true in the daytime? IMO blinking is the way to go in daylight hours, since they can see your whole body for depth perception so the light is just to gain attention. At night, one blinking and one solid seems appropriate.

After riding on the road for nearly 30 years I've finally started riding in the center on the lane by default. Unless there is a wide, clean shoulder or full-sized bike lane, I take the lane. Since I started doing this (several hundred miles ago), I've had far fewer negative driver interactions. My hypothesis is that they are forced to slow down and pass me as though I were a tractor or something, so the temptation to stay in my lane while passing is reduced. I'd rather they get pissed than accidentally sideswipe me, though no one has even honked, including on one section of road that I previously avoided because it seemed to always have aggressive drivers.

Clipless road pedals are great, and you'll get used to walking on the huge cleats.

Don't forget to follow the Rules. https://www.velominati.com
    what? You are in the center but on a lane? Do you mean you are in the center of the driving lane instead of to the side?

If so, get ready to go fuck yourself. If not, sorry for the misunderstanding! I am so confused...

Hate the game, not the playa, dawg. In most places, bikes have the same right to be in the middle of the lane as cars, unless otherwise posted, or there is a minimum speed limit posted. Just like an Amish buggy.

Hate the game, not the playa, dawg. In most places, bikes have the same right to be in the middle of the lane as cars, unless otherwise posted, or there is a minimum speed limit posted. Just like an Amish buggy.
    Ha , no it’s definitely the player not the game but nice try. I bike, I know the game and the laws very well.

But are we talking about riding the center of roads in 25mph commutes and/or city rides or a double lane highway here? Either way a bold piece of advice for a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    what? You are in the center but on a lane? Do you mean you are in the center of the driving lane instead of to the side?

If so, get ready to go fuck yourself. If not, sorry for the misunderstanding! I am so confused...
    Typo. Center OF the lane, which is not only for driving but also for cycling. Bicycles have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers when using the roads we all pay for. When the lane is wide enough to share, I'm happy to ride to the side. When it's not, I move over only when the sight line is clear and the driver behind me has acknowledged my existence. As I said, some assholes will be angered by this, but assholes gonna asshole, and I am in the business of not getting hit by a driver, not in the business of reducing my own safety for the convenience of those who think my life has no value.

Yes, the Varia discussion was part of why I've made this behavior change. No I'm not blocking the road beyond what is necessary to ensure that drivers don't squeeze by me without giving the legally required 3 feet of space. That guy in MN is a bit much.

You might think they be cheering you on with the "hey maggot", but they ain't, they ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Ha , no it’s definitely the player not the game but nice try. I bike, I know the game and the laws very well.

But are we talking about riding the center of roads in 25mph commutes and/or city rides or a double lane highway here? Either way a bold piece of advice for a rookie.
    I would argue that in all cases it's safer to take the lane and yield it when it's safe for any following cars to pass. Rookies will also benefit from the lack of being passed with a few inches of clearance.

But it appears that you disagree. Assuming you are not in favor of drivers passing closer than 3 feet to cyclists (which would be illegal, and you know the laws), I wonder what you are advocating here. A bike is roughly 3 feet wide, so if said rider's wheels are 18" from the white line in a 10-foot wide lane (many lanes are narrower than that) there would be only 5.5 feet remaining for a car to pass without crossing the center line. Maybe a Mini could make it. Everyone else will have to cross the center line to safely pass the cyclist.

So, if drivers must change lanes to pass (what a concept!) anyway, how is their experience changed when a cyclist takes the lane? They are FORCED to behave properly, that's how. Or are you saying that passing cyclists with 3" of space between an elbow and car mirror is acceptable behavior?

Again, I don't care if drivers are angry at me for existing. The people who feel that way are irredeemable anyway. I care if they hit me with their car, and I firmly believe that the chances of that are reduced when I reduce the temptation to squeeze their cage between me and the center line.

for awhile i had road shoes & road pedals and also SPD mtb pedals and shoe which was a bit much,

it was much easier to just use the same pedals and shoes i use for all my other bikes so I just went with SPD's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I would argue that in all cases it's safer to take the lane and yield it when it's safe for any following cars to pass. Rookies will also benefit from the lack of being passed with a few inches of clearance.

But it appears that you disagree. Assuming you are not in favor of drivers passing closer than 3 feet to cyclists (which would be illegal, and you know the laws), I wonder what you are advocating here. A bike is roughly 3 feet wide, so if said rider's wheels are 18" from the white line in a 10-foot wide lane (many lanes are narrower than that) there would be only 5.5 feet remaining for a car to pass without crossing the center line. Maybe a Mini could make it. Everyone else will have to cross the center line to safely pass the cyclist.

So, if drivers must change lanes to pass (what a concept!) anyway, how is their experience changed when a cyclist takes the lane? They are FORCED to behave properly, that's how. Or are you saying that passing cyclists with 3" of space between an elbow and car mirror is acceptable behavior?

Again, I don't care if drivers are angry at me for existing. The people who feel that way are irredeemable anyway. I care if they hit me with their car, and I firmly believe that the chances of that are reduced when I reduce the temptation to squeeze their cage between me and the center line.
    I get it, doesn't need to be explained. You need to stay safe and I wish cars would give us 3 feet more and there are bike lanes for all of us. What you do hundreds of miles away shouldn't matter to me. Most of my 'WTF' reaction last night was knee jerk reaction after dealing with a bunch of self-entitled asshole roadies around SLC. You are fine, I overreacted. Glad I wasn't in a car at the time!!!

My issue, which does not need to be replied or argued about, it's just an opinion, is the optics of roadies is really fucking bad in America. Everyone hates you guys or at least are annoyed by roadie habits, even other bikers. Which as a result puts me in danger when I road ride. You can't explain to some rager in a car everything you explained to me above, it's an irrational emotional interaction that happens real fast so your 'facts' don't matter to lots of drivers- so is it more dangerous to be polite or to take the road? It depends I guess. Therefore taking up the whole road should be a last resort to feel safe, not your first choice IMO. Once bikers go from "keeping safe" to "self entitled douchebag" we are all fucked and have to wear full body armor like our MN buddy (who I love calling out people parked in the bike lanes btw). Don't make wear body armor to bike around town please, that's all. Tongue-in-cheek and all that, ha.

My advice to a newbie is pick your routes based on safety as your 1st or 2nd priority and avoid shitty roads with no shoulder, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    for awhile i had road shoes & road pedals and also SPD mtb pedals and shoe which was a bit much,

it was much easier to just use the same pedals and shoes i use for all my other bikes so I just went with SPD's
    I did the same except w/ candy’s [they never exploded FWIW]
    Fixie commuter/XC/road —> one pair of SIDI’s for a shitton of miles before needing upgrade

Hey thanks all, tons of great stuff being offered here.

So pedals - my plan is to do a couple rides to get adapted to this bike then move away from flats. Just didn't want to learn two new things at once.

I'm not planning to actually to do a lot of riding on roads. I've got a long paved ravine trail a minute away and there's some longer similar paths closer to the city that I plan on riding.

Same deal in the GTA, everyone basically hates road bikers and I don't plan on experiencing that for now. If or when I do I'll go north to the countryside where there's some empty roads and will be lit up like a Christmas tree and wearing neon yellow lol.