Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    In my experience, as long as you go with fancy MTB shoes with a stiff (e.g. carbon) sole, you avoid any issues with things like hotspots that wider platform road cleats/pedals purport to solve.

If you use some sort of skate-shoe-with-spd-holes MTB shoe with a fair amount of flex, you might start running into comfort issues on long road rides with MTB pedals...but a pair of SIDIs or any other similarly styled hard-bottom MTB shoe will spread out the force enough to avoid hotspots.

Plan on sturdier tires unless you are riding on pristine surfaces only. Once you get comfortable on the bike you'll start taking it on gravel and even dirt.

Similarly, look into the correct tire pressure for your size tires/weight. I got way less flats once I lowered my pressure by ~15psi from where I thought it should be to where it was supposed to be.

Buy shoes/pedals and schedule a preliminary fit asap if you plan to start putting in the miles. A quick fit is not as expensive as you think and will save you a ton of frustration down the line. They will also go over exercises to increase strength/flexibility in specific areas to help with your riding.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Plan on sturdier tires unless you are riding on pristine surfaces only. Once you get comfortable on the bike you'll start taking it on gravel and even dirt.

Similarly, look into the correct tire pressure for your size tires/weight. I got way less flats once I lowered my pressure by ~15psi from where I thought it should be to where it was supposed to be.

Buy shoes/pedals and schedule a preliminary fit asap if you plan to start putting in the miles. A quick fit is not as expensive as you think and will save you a ton of frustration down the line. They will also go over exercises to increase strength/flexibility in specific areas to help with your riding.
    I like Silca’s pressure calculator:

https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form?sub...d-76d231003b84

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I get it, doesn't need to be explained. You need to stay safe and I wish cars would give us 3 feet more and there are bike lanes for all of us. What you do hundreds of miles away shouldn't matter to me. Most of my 'WTF' reaction last night was knee jerk reaction after dealing with a bunch of self-entitled asshole roadies around SLC. You are fine, I overreacted. Glad I wasn't in a car at the time!!!

My issue, which does not need to be replied or argued about, it's just an opinion, is the optics of roadies is really fucking bad in America. Everyone hates you guys or at least are annoyed by roadie habits, even other bikers. Which as a result puts me in danger when I road ride. You can't explain to some rager in a car everything you explained to me above, it's an irrational emotional interaction that happens real fast so your 'facts' don't matter to lots of drivers- so is it more dangerous to be polite or to take the road? It depends I guess. Therefore taking up the whole road should be a last resort to feel safe, not your first choice IMO. Once bikers go from "keeping safe" to "self entitled douchebag" we are all fucked and have to wear full body armor like our MN buddy (who I love calling out people parked in the bike lanes btw). Don't make wear body armor to bike around town please, that's all. Tongue-in-cheek and all that, ha.

My advice to a newbie is pick your routes based on safety as your 1st or 2nd priority and avoid shitty roads with no shoulder, if possible.
    There are plenty of shitty drivers out there and I've been hit by cars. I don't really road ride much anymore due to those factors (and the fact most roads here don't have real shoulders or lanes), but I'll always do what makes me feel safe. If it means Karen or Kyle in their Wrangler with angry eyes gets salty, fuck em.

Just to update. Had a quick 'shakedown' ride a few days ago and a slightly longer ride today on some easy paved in-town ravine trails.

Bike shifts like shit. First time (my god I wish I was exaggerating) I shifted up front it dropped the chain. Rear is just a noisy mess, bouncing in between gears.

Bike is currently with a friend getting tuned up.

That said, wow this has been a ton of fun. So fast. I know this isn't exactly an original though for anyone who's gone from mtn bikes to road but the acceleration is just insane.

Getting used to the shifters, handlebar positions and brakes has gone better than expected.

Hunting for spd's tmrw, already have the footwear, can not wait to try this with functional gears.

And a hearty Fuck You to whoever assembled this (and safety'd it, which took ~20 minutes even though I told you when to have it ready at 1 and I showed up at 2..) at Gears (lol) Port Credit On. Honestly can not believe you sent this mess out your shop door.

(sorry for the negative tone, my overall message is I'm stoked for this thing but it's been a tough intro)

Sweet! Going fast is fun. Wait until you hit 60mph and pass some cars in the left lane. It's a rush.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.