Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Outside article up at pink bike. Paints the guy as less of a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Outside article up at pink bike. Paints the guy as less of a villain.
    I couldn't read all the way through that crap. Sounds like a story from his friend. Life is not black and white and I'm not claiming Colin is a bad guy all around or at all responsible for that woman killing Mo, but he sounds like a classic entitled white texas boy.

It IS a story from a friend. What a load of horseshit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yep, that was a shitty article. It seemed like StrickIand should have gotten coauthor credit. I got about a quarter of the way through, then quit and skimmed the rest to see if it got better. It's a shame that one wasn't open to the PinkBike comment section.
    Last edited by John_B; 01-23-2023 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    It IS a story from a friend. What a load of horseshit.
    Directly quoted from the article:
    "In an effort to help the public understand how violence like this could occur between these two people, the Austin police have crafted a narrative about the murder. They believe the two women both wanted the same man, a buddy of mine, Colin Strickland. The police have portrayed him as a guy who cheated on his girlfriend with a younger woman."

"Back in June 2019, when Strickland beat a bunch of Tour de France pros at Unbound and instantly became one of the most prominent athletes in the cycling world, I was stoked. I’d watched him come of age as a racer in the Austin cycling scene. We’d chatted on long rides and butted heads in local races—then shared beers afterward. A couple of times, Strickland sought my advice on some pro cycling dilemma he was facing. I’d give him my honest opinion, then he’d do the opposite and totally make it work. I respected the hell out of him for that."

I’m very very surprised that outside would publish that. I don’t see that going well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I’m very very surprised that outside would publish that. I don’t see that going well for them.

Outside appears to be being operated by private equity these days. No fucks are available, and maximum profits are the only priority.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Same company that decided to NOT film for a Warren Miller movie this year and just chop up a new film next year from existing footage.

A few flags in that article, but it does give valuable incite if you can manage to get through it.... it's his side, with a heavy dose of his buddy's take.

Whether Strickland was winning or struggling, I’d often send him a text or Instagram message of support—saying, essentially, “keep going.” When he won Unbound, I was working for FloSports, a company that live-streams professional cycling. We produced a lot of content with him. He gave us a tour of his gearhead garage and showed me how to repair cycling clothes on his vintage sewing machine. A short film I made chronicled Strickland’s rise from renegade alleycat racer to the world’s best gravel cyclist, a rider talented enough on a road bike that he was briefly recruited by an American Tour de France team.

Until I began reporting this story, I didn’t know a lot about Strickland’s personal life. But sometimes local gossip about who’s dating who would involve him. He didn’t sound like someone who chased drama. It was more like he lacked a certain kind of emotional intelligence when it came to relationships. Things that seemed obvious to everyone else didn’t seem to occur to him.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I read it... there was a lot of stuff said that made you think "how does he know these specific details" or is it just fiction?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Same company that decided to NOT film for a Warren Miller movie this year and just chop up a new film next year from existing footage.

A few flags in that article, but it does give valuable incite if you can manage to get through it.... it's his side, with a heavy dose of his buddy's take.
    The last part of that quote is a long way of saying Colin was a simply a womanizing scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I read it... there was a lot of stuff said that made you think "how does he know these specific details" or is it just fiction?
    I think it is obvious that he's had at least one interview with him, without having any direct quotes... as was probably heavily stipulated by Strickland's attorney, who probably couldn't believe his client would go through the hassle at this point.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

"But I want you to remember something: if this conflict is what led to Wilson’s death, it did so because of a handgun."
    Of course, it was the gun's fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    "But I want you to remember something: if this conflict is what led to Wilson’s death, it did so because of a handgun."
    Lolzzz… that’s just a ridiculous statement. But again the whole article is shit. Like was said above I wish PB comments were open for it…..

On a positive note, Colin is no longer listed as a sponsored athlete on RedBull's page.
    I have checked every few weeks since the murder, and he has very recently been removed from their page.

I still don't put Colin at fault for this woman's death, even if he is a shit bag. And we shouldn't treat him as such.

If you're excusing a womanizing scumbag for the carnage his emotionally distressed victims carry out on eachother you might as well also excuse the corrupt cops for lying to suspects and bullying false confessions out of them. You're also excusing ruthless bullies as not having any responsibility for the kids who commit suicide because of said bullying..

He may not be legally tied to the crime/actual shooting, but at the very least, his behavior helped orchestrate the fatal results.

Learn from this tragedy people. Do better
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Sure, treating women like shit is not cool and all, but the big mistake was giving her a gun?

Your girlfriend really doesn’t want you seeing or talking to an ex? Follow her wishes or break up.

Mo would still be alive today had Strickland not seen her that day. Full stop.

no, she would be alive if crazy person didn’t kill her
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I still don't put Colin at fault for this woman's death, even if he is a shit bag. And we shouldn't treat him as such.
    If he’s a shit bag, do you want him representing your company?
    If he’s a shit bag do you want to pay him to come to your event?
    If you’re a rider in a tight-knit gravel community do you want to train with, do any favors for, pull for, ride in a group with a shit bag?

I think people and companies are now just treating him as they would any other shit bag.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    He may not be legally tied to the crime/actual shooting, but at the very least, his behavior helped orchestrate the fatal results.
    Agree with yours and DH's point, but I think orchestrate might be over-reaching. Enabling maybe? It's pretty clear that he put the gun in her hand that lead to that death, but orchestrate implies more than that to me. Either way he's a scumbag and glad to see him facing some kind of retribution w loss of sponsorships etc, none of which will compare to the loss of Moriah to her family.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Agree with yours and DH's point, but I think orchestrate might be over-reaching. Enabling maybe? It's pretty clear that he put the gun in her hand that lead to that death, but orchestrate implies more than that to me. Either way he's a scumbag and glad to see him facing some kind of retribution w loss of sponsorships etc, none of which will compare to the loss of Moriah to her family.
    Ya, I agree "orchestrate" wasn't the right word to express what I was feeling.. "facilitate" maybe? "enable" works too.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

While he isn't guilty of murder, Colin sounds like more of a scumbag with every article even when they are written by his "buddy." Also I thought Red Bull was standing with him through this, or did they quietly drop him after all the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    While he isn't guilty of murder, Colin sounds like more of a scumbag with every article even when they are written by his "buddy." Also I thought Red Bull was standing with him through this, or did they quietly drop him after all the others?
    From an industry insider, they didn’t have a strong legal option to terminate the contract, but had the ability to not renew it.
    Not renewing it was the cleanest, litigation free and overall positive public perspective option.

That article was gross to wade through, reading the part of Kaitlin screwing him in an aggressive and dominating way the night of the murder- ugh. I hope she gets max time to suffer in a cell.

I have constant conversations with my kids about "avoiding crazy". It took me along time to find someone to spend my life with. (someone who would put up with my shit) Everyone that didn't work out along the way was hurt or mad at me, or vice versa. I'm not making excuses for the dude. If he had been honest about who and why he was meeting that day, she would probably still be here. But this article did give me some insight on his thoughts on buying her the gun. It was flawed logic, but I too am pretty damn flawed.

It really is a tragedy and everything I hear about the deceased makes me think she was a pretty awesome young lady.