Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Big corps have figured out how to do background checks of social media, it's not rocket science. It's outsourced because it's such a commodity.

Maybe these contracts are on the low end, and it's not worth it.
    So red bull's gonna start telling these guys "yeah, sure, you're one of the fastest guys in the world, but we Facebook stalked you and found a disgruntled ex-girlfriend from a decade ago, so we're not gonna sponsor you."

I imagine that will play out really well for those sponsors.

Colin seemed like a pretty cool guy from a distance at least, part of what makes all this drama so compelling. I think his personality helped him get his privateer-style career going which has been replicated many times since he started a few years ago. I can think of several similarly talented racers who haven't gotten the same level of support probably because they don't have the cool guy social media thing as dialed.

A pro athlete is a lying cheating dirt bag??! That never happens. I would think sponsors are more shocked when their athletes aren’t douche bags in their personal lives.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Or he shouldn't have said a damn thing to anyone. When something happens involving the law you shut your mouth and get your lawyer. Doesn't matter if you're guilty or innocent or what. The world ain't fair.
    This cannot be over-emphasized.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    A pro athlete is a lying cheating dirt bag??! That never happens. I would think sponsors are more shocked when their athletes aren’t douche bags in their personal lives.
    Pretty much this. Not to say all pros are assholes by any means, but it takes a certain mindset and personality to fully dedicate yourself to athletic greatness, and that personality type seems to overlap pretty heavily with being a bit crazy in other regards.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Pretty much this. Not to say all pros are assholes by any means, but it takes a certain mindset and personality to fully dedicate yourself to athletic greatness, and that personality type seems to overlap pretty heavily with being a bit crazy in other regards.
    It takes a certain amount of narcissism and self promotion to be “famous” in sports like cycling and skiing. Precisely why skiers like Dylan Crossman and Drew Tabke never donned Red Bull helmets.

And as for the Goodfellas, don’t say a word to the cops vibes - Yeah, I get it, but I think that’s a lot easier to say before someone you just ate dinner with is murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    It takes a certain amount of narcissism and self promotion to be “famous” in sports like cycling and skiing. Precisely why skiers like Dylan Crossman and Drew Tabke never donned Red Bull helmets.
    Great point. Interesting to see middling road pros leverage their charisma and influence to switch to gravel which is so much less travel and less dangerous than elite road racing for probably similar or more money.

Murder of rising cycling star

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Redbull is the only one left..... VeloNews received an email from a senior communications manager that read, “thank you for reaching out. This is a matter for the authorities,” and the company refused further comment.
    Looks like Red Bull is standing with Colin. The closing statement in this news report.

https://youtu.be/knskGHiEjJ8

This can not be over emphasized. Like most people hailing from small town Canada, I grew up with a handful of dudes who made the NHL. PJ Stock is an exception, he's actually a good dude but the others (whose names I won't mention) are pretty much some of the worst, most racist, homophobic, bullies you would never want to meet. Truly horrible people who tortured and still torture those around them. And locally here in the Bulkley Valley, a certain Canadian nordic skier of significant renown is held up on a pedestal and lauded as a hero to all the young skiers. Well, said individual married her coach for f*ck's sake. That sleazy detail seems to get overlooked strangely.

Sure there are 'good' pro athletes out there but in my experience, many of them are basically pieces of sh*t and I would never want my kids to turn out like them or anything close to them.

It takes a certain amount of narcissism and self promotion to be “famous” in sports like cycling and skiing.
    Pro skiers and bikers might come off as narcissistic etc due to the endless self promotion but its requirement of the job these days. They get assigned a certain level of engagement by sponsors. Podcast, Insta stories all day, 2 posts a day….or else. Most of them just wanna shred and only do the social media out of obligation.

Pro skiers and bikers might come off as narcissistic etc due to the endless self promotion but its requirement of the job these days. They get assigned a certain level of engagement by sponsors. Podcast, Insta stories all day, 2 posts a day….or else. Most of them just wanna shred and only do the social media out of obligation.
    You can add Matty Richard to the two skiers I mentioned in my previous post.

Part of why I had a soft spot for Colin Strickland is that he deliberately avoided big corporate pro opportunities multiple times. In 2016 he dominated the Red Hook Crit circuit sponsored by Specialized and he quit their outfit to create his own program. A few years later he was offered a spot on the Education First Worldtour road team and he turned it down. I'm not in any position to judge his character but from afar it seemed relatively counterculture and cool by pro cycling standards.

You can add Matty Richard to the two skiers I mentioned in my previous post.
    For sure. I’d add Cory Wallace too. I think he’d be perfectly happy to vanish into in the wilderness, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Maybe these contracts are on the low end, and it's not worth it.
    I used to be adjacent to the Austin cycling scene. Colin's rise was organic with the growth of gravel / adventure biking in Austin. I'm sure his sponsorships were not small but probably not massive, but he's been rising rapidly. I think a lot of people (and companies) latch onto personalities and I think Colin was one.

I've been following this closely like a soap opera. Two things and an observation. Stupid Texans didn't get Kaitlin's birthdate correct on her original warrant. She was let go on a technicality. And, what exactly was her first warrant for anyway? I haven't seen this written anywhere.

So may ppl commenting on Colin's Insta page, smearing Mo in the process also. He hasn't touched his page, updated it or deleted it because he damn well knows any actions only make him look worse or more complicit. His career and life is over as he knows it. And all of those pros that are associated with him are digging down deep right now having to turn a blind eye to a former colleague. It's a small fishbowl. In any case I bet Mo's family tries to sue him. In my mind he has blood on his hands. I'll be surprised if he doesn't off himself in the process.

Kaitlin on the run is a ballsy move. They've got to be on her trail sooner than later. Really surprised she chose to run rather than end her life. It's also over as she know's it. But her thought process is obviously that she can get away with it. I hope she does hard time.

I read in some article that the warrant was for “theft of services”. But, since the birth dates were different, it seems possible that the warrant was actually for someone else?

Yeah, she certainly surprised me that she had the resources to catch the flights to NYC. Those had to be expensive flights, given the last second booking and inflated fares seen lately. I wouldn’t expect a yoga instructor to have a lot of cash laying around, but maybe she’s a trust funder?

somewhere someone said she couldn't buy her own gun in January (so Strickland bought one for her) due to prior charges - so having a warrant out (with or without the right DOB) isn't a big stretch

what's weird is that when they brought her in on that warrant it was because they wanted to talk to her about Mo's murder - they knew she was outside the house right after Mo was dropped off...so she had to be suspect #1 at that point. When they had to let her go (because of the incorrect DOB) how could they not have started tailing her from that point forward?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Yeah, she certainly surprised me that she had the resources to catch the flights to NYC. Those had to be expensive flights, given the last second booking and inflated fares seen lately. I wouldn’t expect a yoga instructor to have a lot of cash laying around, but maybe she’s a trust funder?
    Have you heard of this crazy new thing, it's all the rage, it's called a "credit card". They actually let you buy thousands of dollars of stuff EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO MONEY. Totally awesome, you should get one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Have you heard of this crazy new thing, it's all the rage, it's called a "credit card". They actually let you buy thousands of dollars of stuff EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO MONEY. Totally awesome, you should get one.
    I suppose she could have used a credit card, but if she was trying to avoid being tracked maybe not the brightest idea? There was a report that she was trying to get a neighbor to make a phone call for her, so she was at least aware that she shouldn’t be using her own phone.

Daddy’s little girl.

I suppose she could have used a credit card, but if she was trying to avoid being tracked maybe not the brightest idea? There was a report that she was trying to get a neighbor to make a phone call for her, so she was at least aware that she shouldn’t be using her own phone.
    even if you pay in cash for a plane ticket they're still gonna list you on the manifest and have you in the system as having boarded the flight

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    even if you pay in cash for a plane ticket they're still gonna list you on the manifest and have you in the system as having boarded the flight
    That’s true, she’d need to have matching ID to board the flights.

Pretty impossible to fly anywhere without being tracked unless you have a 007 level fake ID or access to a private jet.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Colin’s in hiding. Can’t say I blame the guy. Katlin’s got nothing to lose by killing him. But she likely would have that night if she wanted to.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...-for-his-life/

Strikes me as an attempt to frame himself as an additional victim rather than complicit. We don’t know which of these he truly is.