Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Flu

Monkey Flu

Several cases and suspected cases in the North East. It is on 4 continents with over 1300 cases/suspected worldwide and 58 deaths.

I finally sent the mass SBAR about it after avoiding it all week. So many hours into learning about this... Great. Just what I need. Smallpox-Lite FML.

Might be containable. We (US) have a shit ton of vaccine (SNS has enough for all) and you can give it as a post exposure prophylaxis if you are quick about it.

Usually the central african clade is the one that is both the most transmissible and the deadliest... but probably not so deadly in the first world because we have antibiotics. Massive scarring sucks ass though. We'll have a look at sequences.

Apparently many clusters are in the gay community. CDC specifically said to have an index of suspicion of MFM. It does spread by bodily fluids most readily and presentation can be initially confused with some STDs.

Fuck Monkeypox.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Only 10% mortality rate? I’ll take my chances without that dangerous vaccine, thank you! (Sarcasm)

I’d like to pause living in Interesting Times for just a little while

Fetish Festivals and monkey Pox.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comm...ked_to_fetish/

So do I really want to know about case Zero?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Only 10% mortality rate? I’ll take my chances without that dangerous vaccine, thank you! (Sarcasm)
    Ironically and sadly, the smallpox live vaccine is very well studied and known to have a higher adverse effect rate than the COVID vaccines.

As per usual, the risk was vastly lower than the the risk of the disease it prevented... of course when we eradicated the disease there was no benefit to justify continuing vaccination. Except of course in Africa where monkeypox was had been a fortunately suppressed in the drive to eliminate smallpox then reemerged when vaccination for smallpox stopped in 1980 and vaccine protections then waned.

Initial genomic sequencing is suggesting this may be of a less virulent West African strain despite the central African epicenter (where more virulent strains are found). Historically most cases were in the developing world, so mortality may be lower in the US... of course nobody wants the pox. "Pockmarked" is best left as a dated figure of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    Is "MFM" to be interpreted in a medical context or in the usual nsfw padded room connotation?
    Oh I meant it the PR way. "Men who have sex with other men" is the way CDC described one piece of screening criteria, particularly calling out those who hook up via "parties" and "apps," but of course this is not the only criteria for an index of suspicion.

I deleted my post after realizing that my post would perhaps tempt some here to search the term for definitions other than the common nsfw padded room vernacular, and discover, as I did, the multitude of acronyms that fall under MFM, such as the craziness that is Mountain of Fire and Miracles ministries.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Case reports in the media continually say "A man in his 30s, a man in his 40's, a man.....". At present, sure seems to point towards MSM community. Probably has jumped out of that demographic already, but that would lead one to think there is nothing special about this current outbreak in regards to transmissibility. Also, I believe the current genome sequencing is thus far similar to 2018 virus, meaning hasn't had significant evolution towards efficient human to human transmission or other evolutionary advantages.

So Monkey Pox is being spread by Spunky Cox?

Direct contact seems more plausible than airborne.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Direct contact seems more plausible than airborne.
    CDC advises treating it like COVID, airborne + contact. I think they are wary after they (and WHO) fucked up claiming COVID wasn't when it clearly was from the start, and now they have a better appreciation for what aerosol spread means. In this case, I don't think monkeypox is airborne. I told staff and providers:

"Monkeypox is transmissible from the onset of symptoms which always involve a characteristic rash. Incubation is 5-13+ days. Contact tracing will be important.

Monkeypox human-to-human spread is thought to be primarily by bodily fluids, lesion materials, fomite (contaminated materials/surfaces), and extensive respiratory droplets. Less likely, this hitherto rare disease could be spread by aerosol, thus full airborne + contact precautions and use of negative airflow rooms is recommended at this time. Likely that aerosol spread would primarily be related to extensive exposure or AGP to generate an infectious dose. However, there are as many possible/confirmed cases in May 2022 outbreaks as there have been known cases in entirety of the last 50 years, so much is still to be learned. Close contact with infected animals (monkeys and rodents) usually involving bites, scratches, or bodily fluids is the identified mode for vector transmission."

Summit, where were the deaths? Africa? No deaths reported by Euro CDC.

Yes, Africa.

I wrote "WORLD: There are multiple clusters of monkeypox that have been reported since early- to mid-May in several countries that don’t normally report monkeypox, including in Europe and North America (Canada+US). There are over 100 cases and PUIs in Europe, mostly in UK, Spain, and Portugal, but also Sweden, Germany, Belgium, and Italy. So far there have been a few hospitalizations and no confirmed deaths in Europe. Worldwide there are over 1,300 suspected cases and 58 deaths since 8 May, mostly in DRC, CAR, Cameroon, and Nigeria. There are also PUIs in Israel and Netherlands."

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yes, Africa.

I wrote "WORLD:
    Wonder if kids are more affected in Africa. Dying of dehydration, etc.

Let's see...Horrible symptoms, 3rd World origins, seems to be finding a home in the ass2mouth communities...

I think we best call in the Jer on this one.

Can we go back to 2020 when there wasn't as many dead people, no war in Ukraine, and no fucking monkey pox on the rampage?!?!? Why is every year in the 20's saying Hold my beer and watch this shit?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Can we go back to 2020 when there wasn't as many dead people, no war in Ukraine, and no fucking monkey pox on the rampage?!?!? Why is every year in the 20's saying Hold my beer and watch this shit?!?!?
    ITEOTWAWKI

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Monkey Flu

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    ITEOTWAWKI

Damn straight.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    ITEOTWAWKI

AIFF

Monkey Flu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    AIFF
    Me too, can’t look away from the train wreck that our world is becoming though

So how long before the monkey pox mixes with the COVID, and maybe rabies and we have WW Z?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Is this what Tork, Jones and Nesmith died of?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

“BREAKING NEWS: MONKEY POX SPREAD BY MURDER HORNETS”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    “BREAKING NEWS: MONKEY POX SPREAD BY MURDER HORNETS”
    Well that’s just great.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    So how long before the monkey pox mixes with the COVID, and maybe rabies and we have WW Z?

Smallpox vax cover you for monkeypox?

Yes,Boomer.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.