Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Computer monitors

I know we have some techies and plenty of good shoppers here.
    Any good deals out there?

The wife and daughter need at least one each. Both WFH and schoolwork for my daughter. Mac/Windows compatible, need the flexibility at least on one desk. No gaming needs.

What y’all got? I’ve not been in this game for quite some time and could use any help you have.

If you’re not gaming or video editing get whatever is on sale at best buy staples or tiger direct.com

The curved HP monitors are good and stylish as well.

Any $150 brand name monitor will be fine for WFH / school.

Plenty of “refurbished” brand name monitors for $50 on eBay if $$$ is tight.

There are <$100 off brand monitors for sale online. It’d be interesting to see if anyone here has experience with them…

*** Maybe another thread but I think a lot of people are “over-screened”.

Two 24”s, or a 28”+ Laptop screen, or just a 32” seems like the right amount of screen. I see coworkers and peers with two 32”s plus their laptop open. That’s way too much blue light shooting at your face….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Computer monitors

I sat at my kid’s curved monitor & it was distractingly annoying - he thinks it’s great
    Test it before buying

Two monitors is the way. How big depends on what you're doing, how many windows you need to be able to view simultaneously, etc.

For me, my work setup of a 32" curved ultrawide and a 24" flat (rotated to be vertical) is pretty much ideal for what I do. I've also used a pair of curved 27's. Anything smaller than 24" is not worth using IMO and 27" is probably as large as most people need to go.

Getting something with an eye saver mode of some sort helps the blue light thing, but beyond that, whatever is on sale. No gaming means you don't need to care about shit like refresh rates and such.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Two monitors is the way. How big depends on what you're doing, how many windows you need to be able to view simultaneously, etc.

For me, my work setup of a 32" curved ultrawide and a 24" flat (rotated to be vertical) is pretty much ideal for what I do. I've also used a pair of curved 27's. Anything smaller than 24" is not worth using IMO and 27" is probably as large as most people need to go.

Getting something with an eye saver mode of some sort helps the blue light thing, but beyond that, whatever is on sale. No gaming means you don't need to care about shit like refresh rates and such.
    This. I have our home computer set up with dual 24” rejects from work. A dime a dozen on Craigslist. Both my home work setup and my office setup have dual HD 32” monitors. Might seem like overkill but I’m constantly running large spreadsheets and pdfs, and the screen real estate is super helpful. And you can just get inexpensive ones if you aren’t gaming or editing video.

For home use, dual 24 or 27s are great and cheap.

I'm on a 34" ultrawide plus some software to help do window snapping into 3 "areas" in addition to the widows standard left-half/right-half.

It seems roughly as functional as my old office 2x 22" screens (which were a little too small to split windows on most of the time). More functional than my prior home 27".
    I'm seriously contemplating going to a 49" super-ultrawide (equivalent to 2 27" side by side). The Dell has the best "productivity" features and has just enough curve to avoid weird color-shift/eye strain at the corners without looking crazy. Samsung has some that have been very cheap lately, but they have more curvature (the newer one is insanely curved and seems like it would be awful for productivity).

But for Buzzworthy's purposes...just browse slickdeals.net for a while and choose some monitors that show up on the front page. Ignore anything that is hyper gaming focused and trust that the forum thread will tell you if the monitor is a bad deal or not right for your situation.

If you don't want an ultrawide, I'd go with a 27" 1440p screen...good all-purpose size. This Acer deal at Costco seems decent: https://www.costco.com/acer-27%22-cl...100665774.html

Anyone ever hear of this site?
    Some damn good deals I see.

https://hpeoutlets.com/product/hp-u28-4k-hdr-monitor/
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post

They have a $1599 laptop on sale for $99 - yeah sure…. put your credit card info into that site….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Thinking 27” single monitor for each of them to start. 24” send a bit small for a single.

Any deals you have come across for a 27”?
    Edit: besides Costco. Not bad but I’m definitely bargain shopping.
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 05-19-2022 at 05:04 PM.

You’re overthinking this.

Just grab a couple 27” Acer monitors on Amazon or wherever.

They like some other sites out there have 3rd party links and possibly sellers. It looks like it is Hewlett Packard Outlet (Enterprise division not the HP dot com consumer web site.) But there is no legitimate contact info to reach HPE.com which is their legitimate site. I'd be very suspect as a Google Search of the web site does not return any info and just redirects to hpe.com
    Last edited by RShea; 05-20-2022 at 06:39 AM.

I know we have some techies and plenty of good shoppers here.
    Any good deals out there?

The wife and daughter need at least one each. Both WFH and schoolwork for my daughter. Mac/Windows compatible, need the flexibility at least on one desk. No gaming needs.

What y’all got? I’ve not been in this game for quite some time and could use any help you have.
    Have to start with what type of connection? VGA (blue 15 pin), HDMI connection like most TV's, or Displayport that is becoming a bit more popular on some lines of newer Windows PC's. Acer, Asus, AOC all are some that have been pretty reliable.

Then once you have picked the connections needed, have to discuss the size: 20 in (many are actually 19.5), 22 inch, 24, inch, 27 inch, and up from there.

Many like Dell UltraSharp series.

Last year new monitors like many IT and electronic items were next to impossible to get and stock was very limited. It is getting better this year and some items are actually shipping and in stock.

Thinking 27” single monitor for each of them to start. 24” send a bit small for a single.

Any deals you have come across for a 27”?
    Edit: besides Costco. Not bad but I’m definitely bargain shopping.
    Do a Slickdeals search. Refurbished or sometimes open box clearances is one way of going to save over just going to any of the normal shopping options (Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, then the online like BHPhoto, Newegg, CDW, etc.) Any MicroCenters near you to visit?
    Last edited by RShea; 05-21-2022 at 07:03 AM.

HP V27i ,new for $150 - https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-v27i-fhd-monitor

Samsung 27" Curved Monitor, refrubished for $150 -https://www.ebay.com/itm/133810965041?mkevt=1&toolid=10001&campid=533625027 4&siteid=0&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&mkcid=1&customid=8l5uy4psfa35se4wdy1H3CyjckLcdMt D

I would strongly recommend against a 1080p 27" monitor unless it is just for gaming/video (which it sounds like it isn't).

The pixels will be huge/it won't be great for extended reading of text. You also won't be gaining any usable screen real estate over a 1080p 24" or 22"...stuff will just look bigger. A 2560x1440 monitor should let you get much better text clarity and more usable space for actual productivity.

Before Apple went crazy with 5k retina displays, 1440p is what they packed into the 27" imac (1080p was reserved for the 21.5" display).

It is hard to do much better than that $199 costco deal on a 27" 1440p monitor without going to some shady no-name brand unless you stalk Slickdeals for a while or buy used.

There's this recertified Acer for $150: https://www.ebay.com/itm/27514134230...QAAOSwU5hiVdON That's about all I can find.

Computer monitors

After going to dual 34” 4k curved monitors at work, my 27” 4k monitors at home feel positively plebeian.

Buy up to 4k. Get two of them. Don’t go less than 27”. I’d get 4k before I’d get curved, in any event. My next at home setup will likely be 34-42” twin 4k+.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    I'm seriously contemplating going to a 49" super-ultrawide (equivalent to 2 27" side by side). The Dell has the best "productivity" features and has just enough curve to avoid weird color-shift/eye strain at the corners without looking crazy. Samsung has some that have been very cheap lately, but they have more curvature (the newer one is insanely curved and seems like it would be awful for productivity).
    I haven’t found any that actually have decent resolution. Cool and all, but they’re all 1080 or at best 1440. I’d rather go two with 4K - just as much/more real estate and better resolution without having to rely on “productivity tools.”

I deal with a lot of spreadsheets and coding, though, so I guess YMMV.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 05-20-2022 at 03:52 PM.
    focus.

Wow, two 34” curved? That’s intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    After going to dual 34” 4k curved monitors at work, my 27” 4k monitors at home feel positively plebeian.

Buy up to 4k. Get two of them. Don’t go less than 27”. I’d get 4k before I’d get curved, in any event. My next at home setup will likely be 34-42” twin 4k+.

I haven’t found any that actually have decent resolution. Cool and all, but they’re all 1080 or at best 1440. I’d rather go two with 4K - just as much/more real estate and better resolution without having to rely on “productivity tools.”

I deal with a lot of spreadsheets and coding, though, so I guess YMMV.
    What monitor are you using? All the 34 inch curved seem to be 1440 and ultrawide. 4k non ultrawide seem to go from 32 to 43.

Quote Originally Posted by Relica View Post
    What monitor are you using? All the 34 inch curved seem to be 1440 and ultrawide. 4k non ultrawide seem to go from 32 to 43.
    Oops. They’re 32s.

AOC CU32V3 32" Super-Curved 4K UHD monitor, 1500R Curved VA, 4ms, 121% sRGB Coverage / 90% DCI-P3, HDMI 2.0/DisplayPort, VESA, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TDZJD7...QRH6YSXY07X1D2
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    I would strongly recommend against a 1080p 27" monitor unless it is just for gaming/video (which it sounds like it isn't).

The pixels will be huge/it won't be great for extended reading of text. You also won't be gaining any usable screen real estate over a 1080p 24" or 22"...stuff will just look bigger. A 2560x1440 monitor should let you get much better text clarity and more usable space for actual productivity.

Before Apple went crazy with 5k retina displays, 1440p is what they packed into the 27" imac (1080p was reserved for the 21.5" display).

It is hard to do much better than that $199 costco deal on a 27" 1440p monitor without going to some shady no-name brand unless you stalk Slickdeals for a while or buy used.

There's this recertified Acer for $150: https://www.ebay.com/itm/27514134230...QAAOSwU5hiVdON That's about all I can find.
    True, I didn't notice that on those two I linked. I've got a decent BenQ 1440p 27" that's great for general use. I can't imagine using anything above 30"..

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    True, I didn't notice that on those two I linked. I've got a decent BenQ 1440p 27" that's great for general use. I can't imagine using anything above 30"..
    I couldn’t either. But it turns out you adjust. And it’s glorious. End effect really is that I gain workspace in front of my monitors as I don’t have to have them quite so close. Even at 27”, taking advantage of 4k means some small text.
    focus.

I like this LG I picked up from Costco:

https://www.costco.com/lg-27%22-clas...100676476.html
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Lg has some really good options. I have had their $700 a 32" 4k for a couple of years and it is great. It is especially nice that it has a usb hub and will charge a laptop so you only have to plug/unplug one thing.

On the cheaper end check out monoprice. As i understand it they buy excess panels from manufactures (including lg) and package them up. I had one of their 27" ips ones that was said to use the same panel as apples imacs for years before i upgraded. They have some nice looking 4k options as now as well for less then the lg.

The mono price stands weren't great but whatever you go with get external keyboard and mice and a clamp on adjustable height stand from monoprice or amazon for that and the laptop to keep the screens at head level for ergonomics.

I have a 2015 5K iMac and a 27” 4K Dell and when Covid hit, I added another. 27” 4K LG. The Dell and LG work with my work laptop well, but I would prefer more screen real estate. I work on a commodities desk and run Bloomberg, email/spreadsheets, dealing screens and internal stuff. In office, I have 3 x 27” 4K and they are adequate.

For your daughter, assuming good eyesight, a 27” 4K should come around 300 bucks. Any will be fine. For wife, 27” or 32 “ 4K and have it resolve up a bit if needed.

Gamers will use 1080P for faster frame rates and twitch response. Not needed for school or work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk