Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Is anyone going from dual monitors to a single 32 or 34? Not a gamer so don’t care about that but typical multiple windows open with Outlook, Word, Excel, etc. with some basic video editing. Losing desk space with an upcoming move so curious to hear about others experience. Have a Mac for home and windows machine for work if that matters and want to be able to use new monitor with both (not at the same time).

Also don’t want to spend $$$ maybe 500 or so and see some Costco LGs that have potential

Dual 32" 4K.
    HP z32x.
    If you're willing to dabble in the used market, they're available without a stand on ebay for around $200.
    (I've done several of the 4K HP monitors, and even the B grade (not super, super clean) have been really pretty good.)
    Here's a current working link for one of the 32's I got.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/334439377450 (These may be dead for someone looking way down the road, search for HP Z32X.)

Now you'll need a stand - and probably the best option are some single/dual monitor mounts on Amazon.
    My latest dual 32 stand is capable of having them more than just a few inches off the desk (height) and is a bit more pricey, but I like it. (I only paid about $90 a few weeks ago, it's $130 now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X262MRK )

All of this is YMMV territory. Some people are WAY more picky about their monitors. I'm not a buy any crappy thing, but I'm also not the guy who calibrates my monitors for perfect color reproduction, and can't handle bits of dust or even a scratch or two, as long as it's minor.

Any thoughts on good USB-C monitors? Seems like there aren't as many options as with HDMI, and they're pricier, but I like the idea of reducing cable messiness. I'm thinking something in the realm of 27" QHD - with the new iOS 16 coming out soon my iPad Pro will be my WFH device.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    Any thoughts on good USB-C monitors? Seems like there aren't as many options as with HDMI, and they're pricier, but I like the idea of reducing cable messiness. I'm thinking something in the realm of 27" QHD - with the new iOS 16 coming out soon my iPad Pro will be my WFH device.
    USB-C is a pretty new monitor standard and narrows you choice of monitors greatly. There are of course adapters (but that adds to the cabling behind the PC or monitor.) HDMI, Displayport, and VGA are still the most popular, with now an older DVI still seen out there from time to time.
    Last edited by RShea; 07-12-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks gregorys. That may be the ticket as I have the same feelings about monitors. Stand does not matter as will try to put it on an arm if VESA holes like you.
    Last edited by GiantManta; 07-11-2022 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Fix

Quote Originally Posted by GiantManta View Post
    Is anyone going from dual monitors to a single 32 or 34? Not a gamer so don’t care about that but typical multiple windows open with Outlook, Word, Excel, etc. with some basic video editing. Losing desk space with an upcoming move so curious to hear about others experience. Have a Mac for home and windows machine for work if that matters and want to be able to use new monitor with both (not at the same time).
    When I switched to WFH, I went from dual 22" 1080p to a single 27" 2560x1440. That monitor had been fine for home use but started to feel cramped for work (50/50 split on it feels way more cramped than 2 smaller monitors), so I eventually went to a ultrawide 34" 3440x1440. Mine has a minor curve that feels natural unlike some of the very curved gaming-oriented ultrawides.

That provides more width which is far more useful than height. I use some software that allows me to split the screen into 3 segments (middle being a bit wider than the sides 30/40/30% split) and depending what I am working on, I can also run it as a 50/50 split. I do love that I can center things--with dual monitors you either have one primary and one way off to the side, or you are staring at the seam between them.

It works pretty well, but I will admit I sometimes find myself wanting MORE width. Outlook gets a little cramped on the right side 30% segment, especially if you have the calendar/task panel open. Some websites also don't quite fit the narrower side segments and will have a horizontal scroll bar (middle 40% segment is fine).

I have a portable 15" USB monitor--sometimes I will plug that in and set it below my 34". If I put outlook on that (could also use my work laptop screen, but I have it docked out of the way), I can do a 50/50 split AND still have email visible.

If I can find one with the right mix of price/features, I am thinking about upgrading to a 49" ultrawide. That's literally just the pixel size of 2x 27" 1440p monitors. I think that would be perfect as I could run it with 3 zones split 33/33/33 the majority of the time. They are gigantic though...only one stand on your desk, but they obviously are still just as wide as large dual monitors.

Singlesline - thanks for the report. Ordered a 35” ultra wide which should show up late next week. I typically only go 2 windows so hoping don’t have the squeeze issue when doing the third mode with the onboard software.