Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    They should stop by the packie and grab some Allen's coffee brandy just to fit in.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/maines...lavored-brandy
    The Burnt Trailer - taking Allen’s a step too far perhaps?

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Mom shitting her pants since my kid committed to a short term job in western Mass that starts in mid June with no place to live or car. So much for that overpriced liberal arts education and problem solving. I'm just kinda spectating on the sideline. I have a decent lead on a car but leaving the housing to the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Yer transplant status is showing. You can never take Allen’s or Moxie too far here. Go catch a mackerel and bite the head off as penance!

FNS, where in W. Mass is she going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    No brown bread floater?

FNS, where in W. Mass is she going to be?
    Fitchburg , she looking in Worcester for month to month student type housing.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Fitchburg , she looking in Worcester for month to month student type housing.
    That's central mass.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    That's central mass.
    Sorry, I don't know the area at all.

If the weather is good the ferry ride to Peaks is nice and byob is cool

My son went to Holy Cross in Worcester and still has friends in the area, I'll ask him if he knows of anything. Maybe the student housing people at Holy Cross or Bentley or Clark would have student housing open in the summer? Couldn't hurt to call.

edit: he actually just walked through here and said he didn't know of anything but said he'll ask around. He said that at Holy Cross all the student housing is done on full-year leases and most of it sits empty all summer and that subletting should be available and cheap but he didn't know how to find it. He suggested the student housing people too, and also maybe facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Yer transplant status is showing. You can never take Allen’s or Moxie too far here. Go catch a mackerel and bite the head off as penance!

That’s some funny shit right there. I’ll get to work on that mackerel!

Good call on Worcester for summer housing. Sadly Fitchburg doesn’t have much going for it and Worcester a short direct shot down the interstate.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

My son went to Holy Cross in Worcester and still has friends in the area, I'll ask him if he knows of anything. Maybe the student housing people at Holy Cross or Bentley or Clark would have student housing open in the summer? Couldn't hurt to call.

edit: he actually just walked through here and said he didn't know of anything but said he'll ask around. He said that at Holy Cross all the student housing is done on full-year leases and most of it sits empty all summer and that subletting should be available and cheap but he didn't know how to find it. He suggested the student housing people too, and also maybe facebook.
    thank you !

Mom shitting her pants since my kid committed to a short term job in western Mass that starts in mid June with no place to live or car. So much for that overpriced liberal arts education and problem solving. I'm just kinda spectating on the sideline. I have a decent lead on a car but leaving the housing to the kid.
    Yeah. I'm beginning to question spending lots of $ on higher education. A good friend who flunked out of college once, and for who I pretended to be a doctor and wrote a letter to help him get back in, and then who spent the next semester flunking out for the 2nd time, now owns a business with $500 million in annual sales.

The same one he started with a van and 2 Mexican guys he used to pick up at the train station every morning. You don't have to be a genius with a college degree, you just have to have balls (or ovaries I guess), a good work ethic and a bit of luck.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

^^^^damn, total truth to that - even a trade is gold these days; an option i'm showing to my 9th grade son.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I love that No. 9 Park has this on file - https://punchdrink.com/recipes/cafe-du-maine/

Also, packies are for massholes.
    I love that someone else on TGR is familiar with Ted Kilpatrick! Dinner at # 9 then closing down silvertone was a top 3 way to blow off steam when I was still in Boston.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Assumption not Bentley I assume? (Bentley is in Waltham)

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Yeah. I'm beginning to question spending lots of $ on higher education. A good friend who flunked out of college once, and for who I pretended to be a doctor and wrote a letter to help him get back in, and then who spent the next semester flunking out for the 2nd time, now owns a business with $500 million in annual sales.

The same one he started with a van and 2 Mexican guys he used to pick up at the train station every morning. You don't have to be a genius with a college degree, you just have to have balls (or ovaries I guess), a good work ethic and a bit of luck.

I agree 100%. My only objective when I became a parent was to raise my kids to be kind, smart, happy people and offer them the opportunity to go to college and finish without much debt. 2 down, one to go. What they do after is up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Assumption not Bentley I assume? (Bentley is in Waltham)
    Oh right. I think I was thinking of Becker College but they closed down apparently. There's also WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute)

I agree 100%. My only objective when I became a parent was to raise my kids to be kind, smart, happy people and offer them the opportunity to go to college and finish without much debt. 2 down, one to go. What they do after is up to them.
    This was our philosophy completely, but we've found it's kinda hard to stop the instinct to coach and suggest and even supervise a bit after graduation. More so for my wife than me by a long shot but I'm sometimes guilty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Bennington? place is a den of liberal drug use and sexual experimentation I was so desperate to go there and my dad was like no fucking way they don't even give out grades what kind of college is that
    Is Bennington still in business? Last I recall they were trying to pawn the place off on an ususpecting private HS. Which I think fell through in a grand manner when they figured out how much is was going to cost to put a new roof on each building.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    ^^^^damn, total truth to that - even a trade is gold these days; an option i'm showing to my 9th grade son.
    I mentioned half seriously as we are doing the college search now, that perhaps he go learn a trade after HS--I think the electrical trade would be the one I would look into--work for a bit in it and then we give him the $250K we would have spent on college so he can start a business and start ripping people off. My wife gave me the "Oh, but he needs a degree today" bit, and I wasn't in the mood for an argument.

But back on topic. I heard the lobster rolls are good in Maine. I would try to find a place that sells good lobster rolls.

This was our philosophy completely, but we've found it's kinda hard to stop the instinct to coach and suggest and even supervise a bit after graduation. More so for my wife than me by a long shot but I'm sometimes guilty of it.
    as I post shit on a skier forum trying to help find a car and place to live for my soon to be college grad............................ I do wish I had some of that Wellesley tuition money in my wallet as I drive around in my 17 year old minivan with 200K miles. Definitely hard to fully let go.

Is Bennington still in business? Last I recall they were trying to pawn the place off on an ususpecting private HS. Which I think fell through in a grand manner when they figured out how much is was going to cost to put a new roof on each building.

I mentioned half seriously as we are doing the college search now, that perhaps he go learn a trade after HS--I think the electrical trade would be the one I personally would do--work for a bit in it and then we give him the $250K we would have spent on college so he can start a business and start ripping people off. My wife gave me the "Oh, but he needs a degree today" bit, and I wasn't in the mood for an argument.

But back on topic. I heard the lobster rolls are good in Maine. I would try to find a place that sells good lobster rolls.
    You'll never win that argument, just end up divorced and that $250k will seem cheap.

J
    as I post shit on a skier forum trying to help find a car and place to live for my soon to be college grad............................ I do wish I had some of that Wellesley tuition money in my wallet as I drive around in my 17 year old minivan with 200K miles. Definitely hard to fully let go.
    Just don't buy a 2.0L Sonata, no matter how much DD says it's a great car. Guy doesn't know shit about cars or how to cook a steak.

J

Just don't buy a 2.0L Sonata, no matter how much DD says it's a great car. Guy doesn't know shit about cars or how to cook a steak.
    I was going to put an amg shifter on it and a slowly simmered steak can be good eating. I think we have a good lead on a Honda fit.

I mentioned half seriously as we are doing the college search now, that perhaps he go learn a trade after HS--I think the electrical trade would be the one I would look into--work for a bit in it and then we give him the $250K we would have spent on college so he can start a business and start ripping people off. My wife gave me the "Oh, but he needs a degree today" bit, and I wasn't in the mood for an argument.

https://lobstershacktwolights.com/
    Start there.

As to college - depends on the person. College etc.? Whole different thread and ball of wax.