Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Playful Pow Ski

Playful Pow Ski

Tech talk is dead quite, lets dream of waist deep days and talk powder skis. I haven't spent much time on pow skis as my DD is usually adequate but looking to replace my flex 4 protest. I like the protest but I kept grabbing my jeff108 for anything but the deepest days. DD next season will be the mfree. I seem to like skis with mount points around ~-6.

Skis I've liked:
    Jeff108 - this is my favorite DD to date, love the pop of on3ps
    deathwish tour - great fun ski, can be loose, can be locked in, not great at speed but I'm rarely going fast in the backcountry
    mfree108 - only spent 1 day on this ski but liked it, we'll see how it does next season as a DD

I'm looking for a versatile pow ski that is playful and poppy and loose. I don't spin but I like hitting all the side hits and cliffs. Looking for something more playful than the mfree but still has some backbone and I can take it out on more days than the protest.

Currently looking the Jeff116/118 (is there much of a difference btwn the 116/118?) and the revolt 121

my answer is always pescados

Praxis RX.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Since you'll be on the MFree 108 next season why not go with the Jeffery 118? That ski was a standout this year based on the reports in the ON3P thread.

Black Crows Nocta.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Since you'll be on the MFree 108 next season why not go with the Jeffery 118? That ski was a standout this year based on the reports in the ON3P thread.
    That's the most sensible decision but I've been curious to try something different. And since it's new last year it'd be hard to find a deal where I've found revolts for relatively cheap. With all that being said it's a pretty safe bet that I'd really like that ski

If the moment Deathwish 112 is as playful and fun as the 104 then it should be high on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If the moment Deathwish 112 is as playful and fun as the 104 then it should be high on the list.
    that thought crossed my mind as I do really like the DWT. Having a 2 ski quiver of 108 & 112 doesn't seem right tho. I wonder if moment will ever made a fat DW
    Last edited by PeachesNCream; 05-18-2022 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    my answer is always pescados
    Forma

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    Forma
    Lol season is shit

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Playful Pow Ski

Icelantic Nomad 115 (150-115-140)

Mount at -6cm (+3cm from rec bc).

Very little camber. Easy to maneuver in really tight spots. It’s fat non-tapered tips rip groomers and good for grip on sketchy steeps as you can “feel” your tips. My go to ski for inbounds days when it’s soft, and deep in spots, but you also have to ski some groomers too.

My wife also has the Icelantic Maiden 111s.

I have other pow skis that are better in pure untracked stuff, but I have never had a bad day on these at Whistler.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5350.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	416789

Op already owns the answer

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    that thought crossed my mind as I do really like the DWT. Having a 2 ski quiver of 108 & 112 doesn't seem right tho. I wonder if moment will ever made a fat DW
    They made the Ghost Train, which was I think 126 underfoot flat camber underfoot and rockered tips and tails with the DW triple camber.

Haven't skied it myself but damn I want to
    Last edited by Sargentdrufus; 05-19-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Op already owns the answer

QFT

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Lol season is shit

Why

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    They made the Ghost Train, which was I think 126 underfoot flat camber underfoot and rocketed tips and tails with the DW triple camber.

Haven't skied it myself but damn I want to
    The GT is awesome and I would also consider the Wildcat seems to check all of your boxes.

Playful Pow Ski

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Why
    Also wondering why? Ever skied on them? I have 3 days on 180cm Aeros. Skied great from the first turn.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 05-18-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Tech talk is dead quite, lets dream of waist deep days and talk powder skis. I haven't spent much time on pow skis as my DD is usually adequate but looking to replace my flex 4 protest. I like the protest but I kept grabbing my jeff108 for anything but the deepest days. DD next season will be the mfree. I seem to like skis with mount points around ~-6.

Skis I've liked:
    Jeff108 - this is my favorite DD to date, love the pop of on3ps
    deathwish tour - great fun ski, can be loose, can be locked in, not great at speed but I'm rarely going fast in the backcountry
    mfree108 - only spent 1 day on this ski but liked it, we'll see how it does next season as a DD

I'm looking for a versatile pow ski that is playful and poppy and loose. I don't spin but I like hitting all the side hits and cliffs. Looking for something more playful than the mfree but still has some backbone and I can take it out on more days than the protest.

Currently looking the Jeff116/118 (is there much of a difference btwn the 116/118?) and the revolt 121
    You just described my Caylors.
    Jeffreys are the way to go

Why
    K2 fluffer

Rax 100%

Havent spent any time on ON3P, but I have been around the block with a bunch of stuff this season, including the 121, and have some friends with the Jeff/Kartel 108.

My two cents on the 121 - its a powder specific chargy surfboard, and you have to ski it exactly like you see Markus skiing it. Meaning, its easy to slash, but the tips and tails are significantly stiffer than other similar skis in the category. Additionally, its got a hair more camber than other similar shaped skis like the Bentchetler Version 2 or JJ2.0, which translates to making it a tad more versatile since its easier to carve with. However, the stiffer tips and tails mean that its far more fatiguing to ski all day.

The Jeff is going to be softer and less surfy than the 121, so easier to pop and butter, but harder to slash and slightly less supportive when landing.

If you like the Jeff 108, I'd also strongly consider the Reckoner 122 - as its a fairly versatile 122 underfoot, and I'd obviously recommend the best ski ever made: the Rossignol Black Ops 118. Every time I hopped back onto that ski after a while this season I was immediately blown away with it. The only thing it doesnt have going for it is its a bit harder to break the tails free, but it does everything remarkably well. I actually did a day back to back with the 121 and the 118, and when I hopped back onto the 118 it was like I turned shit up to 11.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your hunt.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I seem to like skis with mount points around ~-6.

-6 mount
    Poppy and loose
    Cliff drops and side hits
    Has some backbone
    More useful than Protest

My friend you have just described the Bibby. I can’t believe nobody mentioned it yet.

Go get yourself a Moment Wildcat in 190 and never look back.

Why
    183... size matters

K2 fluffer[/QUOTE]

Ur goddamn right

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    K2 fluffer
    Ur goddamn right

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Those are some sweet fence slats!

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Havent spent any time on ON3P, but I have been around the block with a bunch of stuff this season, including the 121, and have some friends with the Jeff/Kartel 108.

My two cents on the 121 - its a powder specific chargy surfboard, and you have to ski it exactly like you see Markus skiing it. Meaning, its easy to slash, but the tips and tails are significantly stiffer than other similar skis in the category. Additionally, its got a hair more camber than other similar shaped skis like the Bentchetler Version 2 or JJ2.0, which translates to making it a tad more versatile since its easier to carve with. However, the stiffer tips and tails mean that its far more fatiguing to ski all day.

The Jeff is going to be softer and less surfy than the 121, so easier to pop and butter, but harder to slash and slightly less supportive when landing.

If you like the Jeff 108, I'd also strongly consider the Reckoner 122 - as its a fairly versatile 122 underfoot, and I'd obviously recommend the best ski ever made: the Rossignol Black Ops 118. Every time I hopped back onto that ski after a while this season I was immediately blown away with it. The only thing it doesnt have going for it is its a bit harder to break the tails free, but it does everything remarkably well. I actually did a day back to back with the 121 and the 118, and when I hopped back onto the 118 it was like I turned shit up to 11.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your hunt.
    Not sure what changes have been made down the Caylor-Jeffrey-Kartel-Jeffrey line, but my Caylors are definitely not softer than revolts(great ski-loved my time on them, very capable). Caylor not as surfy(dude has Protest in quiver), but they slash just fine and would not describe as less supportive--at all(I'm 6'2" 225#). It's been a great ski for me that I've DD'd for 3yrs now--very versatile!