Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Playful Pow Ski

Playful Pow Ski

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Take a look at Candide 5.0 , they can handle almost everything, very playful imo, but also in a stiffer end of spectrum. But don't be fooled by that
    I don’t like skis that are hard to ski.

I had the black 2020 183cm Candide 5.0’s with Pivot 18s for 2 seasons and it’s really easy to ski. I was -0.5cm from Candide’s line, so -4.7cm. Loved it with its flat camber and non-tapered tips/tails. Regret selling. Nomad 115 is a pretty close replacement, though not as stiff.

Back pre-Covid when the quiver was simple…3 pairs of skis in the quiver back then which I have since gear-whored up to 9 ski quiver. Though I prolly saved $500/month in gas for two years so it’s justified.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	778.0 KB 
ID:	417547
    Last edited by kc_7777; 05-29-2022 at 09:42 PM.

Playful Pow Ski

Noctas are surprisingly good on groomers for their width, FWIW. I sold mine because they had shifts mounted and my friend with the same BSL wanted them so it was easy but actually thinking of picking up another pair (and mounting them with a binding I trust).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Quality post.

I am a bit surprised by a few of the points you make though.

R121s are a bit stiffer in the shovels than some other similar skis (whhat have been making me really curious to get on a pair), but are on the softer end of the spectrum besides that. I would be very surprised if the feel like more ski than Jeff118s (based on my custom stiffer j116s). J116s have similarly deep rocker lines, but way more splay and are significantly stiffer underfoot. As such, I would imagine that they are more ski, but still very loose. R121s just seem like a great ski. Its rocker and taper lines seem to reward a playful stance, yet their relatively stiffer shovels means you can still drive them a bit. Very interesting.

BO118s should be more ski still, if my BO98s are any indication. No, not punishing by any means, but their significantly longer cambered section together with their weight and relatively lack of taper (more swing weight) suggest that you need to be a fairly proficient skier and like to go fast for them to be as loose as R121s or J118s.

My pick in this segment is MF118s, but they are not all that playful for my 175cm stature on 189s. Loose - yes. Want you to boost off whatever - yes. Want you to go faster than you should - yes. They are also way more approachable in dry snow than moister snow, where their shape makes them alot more ski. BC Animas are probably somewhat similar, just a tad less loose (less taper and rounder flex pattern). DPS Koala 118s are also loose and fun, even if they are stiff, heavy and made by a brand for dentists. I actually really liked my pair of 184s. The current version is a bit more approachable due to a being softer and lighter.
    Not sure where the difference comes from but out of the skis that you've got up there Ive only been on the BO118 and the R121 - and the R121 seems to be stiffer and harder to drive than the BO118.

Also, and way more importantly - where'd you get those pics from?!?!
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Not sure where the difference comes from but out of the skis that you've got up there Ive only been on the BO118 and the R121 - and the R121 seems to be stiffer and harder to drive than the BO118.
    Ah interesting - 184 or 191 R121s? I should have bought a pair of either to beb fair - they have been on sale for like 50% off over here as of late (luckily sold out now).

I am also really wanting to get a pair of custom Jeff118s and mount them with Pivots. I had a pair of custom stiffer Kartel116s, and really liked them besides the tails feeling a bit much. I have since realized that the feel was caused 100% by binding ramp angle, and had nothing to do with the skis. They are long gone though.

Also, and way more importantly - where'd you get those pics from?!?!
    They are made for the Norwegian magazine FriFlyt based on measurements made by Endre Hals, aka mr Evi Skis aka mr Hals 4FRNT Renegade. I find them to be really informative. They have not made them for all skis, but if you want to find if they have made it for a specific model then just write the model name and add "skitest" (not ski test) in Google in the photo option.

Ah interesting - 184 or 191 R121s? I should have bought a pair of either to beb fair - they have been on sale for like 50% off over here as of late (luckily sold out now).
    184 R121, 186 BO118
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

184 R121, 186 BO118
    oh, that is interesting. I would expect it to be the other way around, but you know what you felt. That makes me want to try R121s even more. KC - who is usually on shorter lengths - have bought a pair of 184 R121s, so it will be interesting to get his (your) take on them as well.

Another contender is SGN UrRakkar. They are supposedly way more capable than their flex pattern would indicate absed on a mag review. I never skied my pair before moving them on (struck a deal with myself to justify buying a pair of BMT122 186s). The 191 length can be bought at a 50% discount from their outlet store - identical ski to previous/later versions besides graphics. They are somewhat reminiscent of BC120s, just with a more "proper" inbounds weight. They are designed to pop off pillows and shred steep pow - something they supposedly are very adept at.

Name:	1636437578-sgn-ur-rakkar.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	417622

Playful Pow Ski

oh, that is interesting. I would expect it to be the other way around, but you know what you felt. That makes me want to try R121s even more. KC - who is usually on shorter lengths - have bought a pair of 184 R121s, so it will be interesting to get his (your) take on them as well.
    Ya I’ve bumped my pow ski lengths up this year to ~184cm. I’m 5’7” (170cm)…and now seem to be 170 lbs (not 165). But all are pretty progressively mounted and will all ski short. All my other (non-pow <120mm) skis are ~179-180cm. Pow quiver is dialed:

184cm Renegade, Duke PTs @ -5.5cm
    184cm BentChet 120, Shifts @ -4.9cm
    184cm Revolt 121, Pivots @ -3.8cm

The Rens turn on a dime cause they are full rocker, and the BC 120s and Revolts have so much tip/tail rocker.

FYI…here’s some comparison pics of the tip/tail rocker on the Bentchetler 120s and Revolt 121s. Revolts have deeper rocker and more splay. Which is why I’m going -3.8cm (-1cm from rec) I think. Pretty excited to ski the Revolts.

Will for sure let you know what I think next Dec.

Had to get Forza Pivots for the Revolts!

Name:	IMG_6612.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	417693

Name:	IMG_6613.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	417694

Name:	IMG_6614.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	417695

Name:	IMG_6509.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	417697
    Last edited by kc_7777; 05-30-2022 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I don’t like skis that are hard to ski.

I had the black 2020 183cm Candide 5.0’s with Pivot 18s for 2 seasons and it’s really easy to ski. I was -0.5cm from Candide’s line, so -4.7cm. Loved it with its flat camber and non-tapered tips/tails. Regret selling. Nomad 115 is a pretty close replacement, though not as stiff.

Back pre-Covid when the quiver was simple…3 pairs of skis in the quiver back then which I have since gear-whored up to 9 ski quiver. Though I prolly saved $500/month in gas for two years so it’s justified.

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	778.0 KB 
ID:	417547
    I love the old school style K2 top sheets. I wish all skis looked that good.