Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Playful Pow Ski

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Not sure what changes have been made down the Caylor-Jeffrey-Kartel-Jeffrey line, but my Caylors are definitely not softer than revolts(great ski-loved my time on them, very capable). Caylor not as surfy(dude has Protest in quiver), but they slash just fine and would not describe as less supportive--at all(I'm 6'2" 225#). It's been a great ski for me that I've DD'd for 3yrs now--very versatile!
    My Jeff 108s are great in powder but not my fav. They crank for sure, but not as playful as the Line Mordecais. Those are my fav pow skis of all time. Unmatched in my opinion. So. Damn. Much. Fun.

I’m gonna be very sad when mine finally die.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Icelantic Nomad 115 (150-115-140)

Mount at -6cm (+3cm from rec bc).

Very little camber. Easy to maneuver in really tight spots. It’s fat non-tapered tips rip groomers and good for grip on sketchy steeps as you can “feel” your tips. My go to ski for inbounds days when it’s soft, and deep in spots, but you also have to ski some groomers too.

My wife also has the Icelantic Maiden 111s.

I have other pow skis that are better in pure untracked stuff, but I have never had a bad day on these at Whistler.

Attachment 416789
    I think I would like those. Looks very similar to the shape and mount point of the 4frnt devastator but +~10 on dimensions (137-108-131).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

My friend you have just described the Bibby. I can’t believe nobody mentioned it yet.

Go get yourself a Moment Wildcat in 190 and never look back.

I was thinking about this early - cant believe I neglected to mention that...

184 if youre looking for something more poppy, 190 if slightly more chargy. Go tour version if you like a lighter swing weight, generally ski lighter, or are looking for a versatile 50/50 setup. I personally could see myself using the Wildcat/Bibby Tour in a 184 as a single "do everything" ski if you had a gun to my head.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Lots of votes for Jeff and wildcat, I'll add wildcat to the list. The reason I didn't put it on my list to start with is it seems like folks around here describe it as a playful charger vs a playful ski that can charge, if that makes sense. I'm looking for the latter. Looking for something poppy and playful, fun at slow speeds, maneuverable in tight trees, and has enough of a backbone to do some speed back to the lift, and versatile enough that I can ski it 30% or more up here in north idaho.

Revolt is staying on the list as the blister review made it sound very fun. Reckoner sounds interesting but I didn't love the blister review of it, and its kinda light for its size for my taste. I'll check out the BO

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Lots of votes for Jeff and wildcat, I'll add wildcat to the list. The reason I didn't put it on my list to start with is it seems like folks around here describe it as a playful charger vs a playful ski that can charge, if that makes sense. I'm looking for the latter. Looking for something poppy and playful, fun at slow speeds, maneuverable in tight trees, and has enough of a backbone to do some speed back to the lift, and versatile enough that I can ski it 30% or more up here in north idaho.

Revolt is staying on the list as the blister review made it sound very fun. Reckoner sounds interesting but I didn't love the blister review of it, and its kinda light for its size for my taste. I'll check out the BO
    I would not characterize the Revolt 121 as a playful ski that CAN charge - but instead a playful charger.

If you're looking for what is better at slower speeds, but can charge if needed - that Wildcat tour should high on the list.

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I would not characterize the Revolt 121 as a playful ski that CAN charge - but instead a playful charger.

If you're looking for what is better at slower speeds, but can charge if needed - that Wildcat tour should high on the list.
    I'm hesitant on the WCT for inbounds use as I tend to like heavier skis, also 6'3, 200lbs. You said 184 WC for more poppy, 190 for more chargy, I'm more interested in poppy than chargy but I've never skied something shorter than 190. Maybe this is my chance to try something new and since the WC is a pretty good charger, I wont miss the length. Just talking out loud

You mentioned going for the 186 bibby

I really like bibby 184. I’m 5’10”, 150-ish and on teles. In deeper Tahoe snow, I get bogged down (because of tele turns) compared to wider skis. They are playful and chargy for me. I hadn’t considered the tour version for resort focus.

I'm hesitant on the WCT for inbounds use as I tend to like heavier skis, also 6'3, 200lbs. You said 184 WC for more poppy, 190 for more chargy, I'm more interested in poppy than chargy but I've never skied something shorter than 190. Maybe this is my chance to try something new and since the WC is a pretty good charger, I wont miss the length. Just talking out loud

You mentioned going for the 186 bibby
    Ive spent more time this season on the PB&J - 182cm, now renamed the Wildcat 101, than the Bibby Tour and I have (probably 3-4 days on the Tour, and 10-ish days on the PB&j). Its got a very similar layup/construction to the standard Wildcat (to my understanding). Even though its pretty playful, I have yet to hit the top end of that ski even though its fairly short. So if you're concerned about a ski that is too light, go with the standard construction.

With all this said, I would still say that the Rossignol Black Ops 118 is a very very good ski that should be on your list.

www.experiencedgear.net

I recommended the Nocta because it’s more playful but my actual pow ski is also the Wildcat. It’s a little more chargy but super fun.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

The Rossi Sender Squad could be a good choice too. We debated that ski in the Sickle thread a while back and at your size, weight, skier type it sounds like a great fit.

OK so in classic TGR style I didn't read the whole OP post and missed that he already has a Protest, which I had recommended. Doh.

Praxis GPOs (116mm waist) I think fit the bill though. The shape is very close to the MFree series. I could ski them everyday including fresh blower pow and always have a grin. I think my 192 GPO are much more versatile than my 196 Protest, although the latter are arguably better in super deep low density snow (which is only a couple days a year for me). I have skied some pow days and swapped out to a more "pow specific" ski like orange vintage 188 Megawatts, then always promptly swapped back to GPOs. So nimble, so stable, so fun.

If you're in North Idaho you are free to try my set of GPOs, they have large Barons and will fit a wide range of BSL.

Get a set of GPOs off the forum for cheap then update this thread on how awesome they are.
    Last edited by skis_the_trees; 05-23-2022 at 07:55 PM.

^^^Heh, I put my 192 GPO’s up for sale when I bought a pair of Billy Goats two seasons ago.

Since then, the GPOs come out more than the Goats. I find they handle a bigger array of conditions from knee deep pow/crud to soft groom. And they are fucking damp.

The GPOs are no longer for sale…
    I think Mustonen has a pair he’s selling

Suprised nobody mentioned Bentchetlers 120. Iconic playful but still chargy powder ski, at least in 192. Complements wonderfully MF 108 192 as DD. Sometimes I even wish MF 108 being more Bentchetlerish - more center mounted and having a bit lower swing weight. Rocker profiles are almost identical between those two.

I guess I missed the "replace" Protests part. I'll amend then since under 120 does not a pow ski make.
    Armada Magic J, while still available
    Chipotle Bañana
    Faction 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Suprised nobody mentioned Bentchetlers 120. Iconic playful but still chargy powder ski, at least in 192. Complements wonderfully MF 108 192 as DD. Sometimes I even wish MF 108 being more Bentchetlerish - more center mounted and having a bit lower swing weight. Rocker profiles are almost identical between those two.
    Bc120 is pretty wonderful but I don't think it's got the suspension/chargeability OP was looking for. It's not a very fun ski once the powder gets chopped up if you want any speed.

Yeah, I skied it back to back against mfree 118's on a day where it hadn't snowed in 6ish weeks. The mfree we're better in every way in these conditions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220209_203018118.MP.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	417035

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Bc120 is pretty wonderful but I don't think it's got the suspension/chargeability OP was looking for. It's not a very fun ski once the powder gets chopped up if you want any speed.
    Yeah, new ones are way too light.

If you were to find a first or 2nd gen one, they actually would fit the bill you're looking for.

Spent a day on the 2013 vintage this year, and was very impressed - felt surfy like my JJ2.0, but with a stiffer tip - which meant mobbing through variable was much easier to do. While I have not been on the current iteration of the BC120 - its a sub 1800g ski and I really dont think it has enough mass to be able to maintain composure through variable snow.

www.experiencedgear.net

2020 NIP Noctas on sale at powder7 - $430

https://www.powder7.com/Black-Crows-...-2020/for-sale

I'll give a shout out to the Moment Chipotle Banana. I just finished my first full season on them and had an absolute blast. They're definitely not for everyone with full rocker and a weird sweet spot that rewards an upright, balanced stance. They take some getting used to, but once I figured them out and realized how hard I could push the skis in just about any condition (outside of boilerplate) I couldn't believe how much fun they were.

As a smaller guy (5'9" / 165lbs) I spent the past few seasons on lighter, more flexible, less chargy skis like the Bent Chetlers. After this season with the CBs, though, I don't really see a reason to go back.

that thought crossed my mind as I do really like the DWT. Having a 2 ski quiver of 108 & 112 doesn't seem right tho. I wonder if moment will ever made a fat DW
    My ski quiver for next year will be a winter touring ski @ 106x178cm, a daily driver for the lifts at 112x185, and a pow ski at 120x184 plus a volcano ski that's 94x176. If I were going to cut it down to two it would be the 106 and the 112. My snowboard quiver is 3x the same shape: 167w and 159 splits and an 162w solid, all Lib SplitBRDs and the BRD.

Another vote for the Chipotle Banana. Got some more time on them this winter and they don’t feel like the ‘’beast’’ some have written about them to be. I had a blast on them this winter and I’ve barely gone skiing the past few winters. 5’7’’ ~175-180 flat lander.

How versatile is the banana? I wonder with full rocker? Hoping to find a ski for the fat end of a 2 ski quiver, something I can still take out ~30% of days

Edit: Read through the CB thread and I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for, too much of a charger, sounds like a cool ski tho.
    Last edited by PeachesNCream; 05-27-2022 at 03:34 PM.

How versatile is the banana? I wonder with full rocker? Hoping to find a ski for the fat end of a 2 ski quiver, something I can still take out ~30% of daysi

Edit: Read through the CB thread and I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for, too much of a charger, sounds like a cool ski tho.
    Big end of a two ski quiver I’d be thinking more along the lines of something like a Rustler 11, but certainly depends on what the other ski is, and where you’d be using them.

How versatile is the banana? I wonder with full rocker? Hoping to find a ski for the fat end of a 2 ski quiver, something I can still take out ~30% of days

Take a look at Candide 5.0 , they can handle almost everything, very playful imo, but also in a stiffer end of spectrum. But don't be fooled by that

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    My two cents on the 121 - its a powder specific chargy surfboard, and you have to ski it exactly like you see Markus skiing it. ... the tips and tails are significantly stiffer than other similar skis in the category.

The Jeff is going to be softer and less surfy than the 121, so easier to pop and butter, but harder to slash and slightly less supportive when landing.

... and I'd obviously recommend the best ski ever made: the Rossignol Black Ops 118.
    Quality post.

I am a bit surprised by a few of the points you make though.

R121s are a bit stiffer in the shovels than some other similar skis (whhat have been making me really curious to get on a pair), but are on the softer end of the spectrum besides that. I would be very surprised if the feel like more ski than Jeff118s (based on my custom stiffer j116s). J116s have similarly deep rocker lines, but way more splay and are significantly stiffer underfoot. As such, I would imagine that they are more ski, but still very loose. R121s just seem like a great ski. Its rocker and taper lines seem to reward a playful stance, yet their relatively stiffer shovels means you can still drive them a bit. Very interesting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636361477-voelkl-revolt-121.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	417534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636434907-rossignol-black-ops-gamer.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	417536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636434927-dynastar-m-free-118.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	417537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636363044-black-crows-anima.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	417538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636438515-black-crows-nocta-2.jpg 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	417539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636373234-dps-koala.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	417540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636438652-on3p-kartel-98.jpg 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	417541
    BO118s should be more ski still, if my BO98s are any indication. No, not punishing by any means, but their significantly longer cambered section together with their weight and relatively lack of taper (more swing weight) suggest that you need to be a fairly proficient skier and like to go fast for them to be as loose as R121s or J118s.

My pick in this segment is MF118s, but they are not all that playful for my 175cm stature on 189s. Loose - yes. Want you to boost off whatever - yes. Want you to go faster than you should - yes. They are also way more approachable in dry snow than moister snow, where their shape makes them alot more ski. BC Animas are probably somewhat similar, just a tad less loose (less taper and rounder flex pattern). DPS Koala 118s are also loose and fun, even if they are stiff, heavy and made by a brand for dentists. I actually really liked my pair of 184s. The current version is a bit more approachable due to a being softer and lighter.

I would just keep the Protest, or go with J118s for a mix of the aforementioned skis (k98s show the typical jeffrey flex pattern pretty well - stiff in the (relatively short) cambered section, softer fore/aft with lots of splay). Want more power - BO118s, more underfoot foregiveness yet versatility R121s, or directional looseness and ability to straight up haul, MF118s. BC120s seem a bit light for resort use, even if a lot of folks love them. Everybody seems to love Noctas, but they are even more soft snow specific than the other skis mentioned above. Wildcats should do the trick too, but are way stiffer than the aforementioned skis. CBs seem like a niche ski. I have no experience with Armadas.