Living in Nelson for Whitewater?

Considering moving to Nelson to work at Whitewater for next season or so. Has anyone here lived there? I visited once for a day about 7 years ago and liked it. Curious to hear people’s thoughts. I’m just starting to browse the housing options and looking into the work visa process.

The skiing was great when I was there and town seemed cute. I haven’t lived in a remote area like that in a long time or ever that small a town, or have ever lived in Canada, so it’s a little scary for a change like this, but would probably be temporary. Been in Colorado for 7 years, originally from Juneau, AK. Was a ski instructor last winter in CO and considering maybe doing that again or getting an evening job.

Also considering Revelstoke or other places in BC. I’ve never been to Revelstoke and am just a little more familiar with Nelson and Rossland. I like Whistler but want to explore more inland, and I don’t miss living in a rainforest.

Do it.

Good decision if you can swing it. Nelson didn't feel particularly remote when I was there. Good vibes around town (minus the crazy anti-vaxers the last day we were there). Ate good food, drank good beer, observed beautiful women in expensive clothes, saw homeless folks scavenging power to play SNES Mario cart on main street. If you know CO then I'd say the closest mtn town vibe is probably CB or Salida. Plenty of money in town nowadays. Pickup a night gig slinging cocktails to cougars and ski pow during the day. Sidecountry (with serious avy terrain) around Whitewater is epic. Cool huts all around.

Living in Nelson for Whitewater?

Essential services like healthcare is served by 3 towns - Castlegar, Trail and Nelson. Trail and Nelson used to be run by old Italian families, not sure if that is the case so much these days. Lots of old draft dodgers BITD, but they are getting pretty geriatric now. Lots of yuppies (or their millennial equivalents) and dreamers. I find Nelson horribly congested now, but I lived there in the 80’s and 90’s before the area really exploded. So infrastructure can get a bit strained. ‘Gar airport sucks, especially in winter. WH20 is as good as people say, as is Red and of course the backcountry - lots of info in the TRGz if you search right.

Heading down to see Dad this long weekend. Trying to get the old codger to sell the hobby farm, so if you or someone you know has interest in a turnkey 6ac property just off the lake across from Balfour, let me know
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 05-17-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Lots of info on the area in this thread

2021/22 BC Southern Interior
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=343868

JFC’merica this is the dream

Thanks guys

The Nelson/Whitewater/Red combo is pretty hard to beat. As a non Canadian you will need to check work permits and such. Fernie is the only other comparable I can think of. If you don't care about social life or civilization in general Castle is my personal favourite with better snow and zero crowds at least midweek
    https://www.skitalk.com/threads/unof...esort-ab.4764/

Okay thanks

Better snow than where?

Certainly not Fernie or WW, maybe Red.

As Dave said, Gringo’s have a hard time working up north.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Better snow than where?

Certainly not Fernie or WW, maybe Red.

As Dave said, Gringo’s have a hard time working up north.
    It’s a paradigm, is quantity better than quality?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Better snow than either. For 10 years I lived in Sparwood with passes for both Fernie and Castle. Castle had consistently better snow as it is higher than Castle (ignore Fernie's powder chair) and is East of the Continental Divide hence the snow is dryer than either WW or Fernie. Absolute can't breath blower pow. Watch the video Guide to Castle and see.

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    Better snow than either. For 10 years I lived in Sparwood with passes for both Fernie and Castle. Castle had consistently better snow as it is higher than Castle (ignore Fernie's powder chair) and is East of the Continental Divide hence the snow is dryer than either WW or Fernie. Absolute can't breath blower pow. Watch the video Guide to Castle and see.
    I’m with you, I’m an east slope skier, quality trumps quantity any day

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

WW-Why it’s winter 60 days a season or less

Seriously-Castle? Bring your kite surfer and snow fence....bad idea!! Propoganda is still propoganda. Few good days here and there...

Time for “Gary from terrace” to chime in on a season spent at Castle....

Hey fuck Dirt, you called?!
    With castle it ain't about the big dumps, cause they are not common. It's about the big winds and knowing where to find the sift.
    More snow at castle than WW, or Fernie or Red? No fucking way. Be prepared to tune your skis lots.
    "Better" snow at Castle.... Maybe.... Certainly doesn't generally get the rain events the 3 hills I mentioned. And I sure like the sift and skiing coolers.

But, to the OP's question should he (or she) move to Nelson for the season? Fuck yeah. Could probably afford to live there with their big American dollar bank account. And what's not to like about good food, electronic music and hippies. Plus it's in Canada. Fuckin eh!

You don't find many, if any, Americans working at ski resorts in western Canada and I suspect that it is a reflection of how difficult it is for Canadians to get a working visa at US ski resorts. However there are tons of Aussies, Kiwis, and some Euros that work at ski resorts in Canada, in part because if you are from a British Commonwealth country and under 30y.o., Canada offers a 2 year visa that allows you to work or play as much or as little as you want.

getting pregnant by a canadian seems to be the way to stay, one year you see them tending bar at the ski hill and the next year you would see them in the bar showing off the new baby

god save the queen eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Remote?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    getting pregnant by a canadian seems to be the way to stay, one year you see them tending bar at the ski hill and the next year you would see them in the bar showing off the new baby

god save the queen eh
    hahaha
    nice plan

The skiing is still going strong at whitewater! Huge base and even some pow dumps mid may. Weird in the east koots it feels more melted out but just gotta get higher.

Off season touing the resort is awesome and a nice thing about whitewater, they recognize they are an access area. Resort that are CRA hogs can go suvk donkey bals!

Thanks for everyones input, especially as it’s a long ways to move.

Plenty of insanely good places to be in the states without any hassle of working in another country.

Do the van deal so you're not beholden to some fuckstick employer or overpaying for medicore-at-best housing.

Kill it, report back.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Lady View Post
    Thanks for everyones input, especially as it’s a long ways to move.
    Aspen Ski School pays significantly more than anywhere else. You have to pay your dues, but most of my friends only do privates.