1 4.35%
  • Yes. For saaaaaftey

2 8.70%
  • Fuck no. ‘Merica and freedoms and shit

19 82.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The county I used to live in had speed cameras all over the place, they gave you an 11 mph cusion but 12 over would get you a ticket. To get around the question of who was driving they ticket the car, not the driver. You can't renew the registration on the car if you don't pay the ticket.

When they first came out I got a lot of tickets but it didn't take long to learn where they all were in the areas I frequented.

This guy who owned a great deli in my hood and his wife were breaking up, she caught him cheating somehow apparently. The wife took his car and spent hours going back and forth on this stretch of road with a couple of cameras, the fines were in the thousands of dollars. Not sure if he had to pay it all or not.
    You lived in Iowa? Fuck that backasswards place.

I would be in favor of a 68 mph/110 kph limit on commercial vehicles in the US. It would save an ton of fuel and limit all the truck passing turtle races that clog up the interstates.

65 would save more gas but 68 is much more manageable for drivers trying to stay sane and awake and it would be ever so slightly less likely to cause a violent insurrection, but of course it still would, so it can't happen, even though it needs to.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Based on the insane driving I’ve seen lately and basically no enforcement I’m fine with more technology to take the place of the job the police in my area are not doing.
    Defund the police!

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

I would be in favor of a 68 mph/110 kph limit on commercial vehicles in the US. It would save an ton of fuel and limit all the truck passing turtle races that clog up the interstates.

65 would save more gas but 68 is much more manageable for drivers trying to stay sane and awake and it would be ever so slightly less likely to cause a violent insurrection, but of course it still would, so it can't happen, even though it needs to.

Then the speed would be 71.

I loved it when Montana had no speed limit. I had a 5-series BMW with a 5MT and it made trips from my house in Missoula to my condo in Big Sky so much fun. Perfect car for that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Ohio used to have a 55 MPH truck limit, nothing like getting stuck behind a truck going 56 passing one going 54 over and over again, when the speed limit is 65.

I see your point on a national truck limit, but it would bring the suck on stretches of 75/80 MPH highway in my opinion.

My F150 is governed at 95, apparently due to the stock tires' speed rating. I suppose that's for the best, but when you are cruising at 85 with an 80 MPH speed limit, needing to go 95 once in a while on a pass isn't extreme to me.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Ohio used to have a 55 MPH truck limit, nothing like getting stuck behind a truck going 56 passing one going 54 over and over again, when the speed limit is 65.

I see your point on a national truck limit, but it would bring the suck on stretches of 75/80 MPH highway in my opinion.

My F150 is governed at 95, apparently due to the stock tires' speed rating. I suppose that's for the best, but when you are cruising at 85 with an 80 MPH speed limit, needing to go 95 once in a while on a pass isn't extreme to me.
    Yeah I remember because I lived it- 93 94 part of 95. That was a speed limit not a limiting device.

I think a set speed governed for all trucks would actually reduce that annoyance at least on flat ground. Especially if it was gps enabled so all the trucks actually ran at exactly the same speed. Even if it was just governed via rpm like they are now if one truck is set at 64.5 and another at 65 passing is near impossible.

Who knows. Drivers are idiots. It won't happen anyway.

Too many times you need to give it a bit extra to deal with tight spots on the interstates and being speed limited would be a problem if that limit is anywhere under 90. 10 years from now when we're all in govt controlled electric utility devices it won't matter what the speed limit is because the device will be in control.

Its like leash laws for dogs. They aren't there to make every dog always have to be on a leash. they are there for a means to ticket problem dog owners who can't control their dogs, and document that.

If you are aware enough to see the cop hiding behind the billboard and slow down, you aren't a problem. Hence why cops often don't pull people over who see them and slow down, and occasionally will just flash their blue and reds to get someone to slow down without pulling them over. Its also why places that don't use traffic tickets for revenue generation are awesome.

There are a lot of times you're safer if you hit the gas pedal. Like while swerving around an accident, deer, etc, hit the brakes approaching the swerve to slow down as much as possible, then floor it while you actually make the swerve to increase traction. If you're already close to the limit and this puts you a tiny bit over whats the harm? This is true with just taking corners on windy roads in general as well. Speed can fluctuate a bit. Cars have limiters well over 100mph not at like 55. Sometimes on the interstate everyone else seems to want to travel in packs and follow each other too close, while large stretches of more empthy and safer road are left in between them. A bit of careful speeding to get through them and create some space makes me feel a lot safer in the long run.

Also, it increases gas mileage and saves the planet to be able to speed going downhill if you can see there are no obstructions and there is an uphill immediately after. Not floor it, but if its rolling terrain with no other cars around in daylight and good weather you should not have to rely on engine braking or actually brake to slow down if there is an uphill immediately after that will just bleed your speed off anyways.

Not to mention the fact that on the small chance some crazy asshole starts chasing you with no provocation, you should be allowed to outrun them if you're in a better vehicle to do so, especially since they'll most likely be in a huge unstable pickup. I admit this is a small chance and most people are more likely to provoke some sort of road rage pissing contest race but still.

But really, none of this should need to be said, like most things, it needs to be demonstrated clearly why a limiting of freedoms and increase in bureaucracy is absolutely necessary. Not like, might maybe sort of make us safer or at least feel safer, but absolutely necessary.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Police seem to be pretty good at fucking up interactions with civilians… so any sort of automatic enforcement seems like a good idea…

Although gravitylovers point about being able to accelerate to avoid an accident is valid.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Police seem to be pretty good at fucking up interactions with civilians… so any sort of automatic enforcement seems like a good idea…

Although gravitylovers point about being able to accelerate to avoid an accident is valid.

POlice in places that don't use tickets for revenue are usually a lot better. Got pulled over in basalt a few years ago for going a few over. Dude starts the conversation with "I'm just issuing a warning, and need to check for warrants, but why were you speeding?"

Not to mention if thats your justification I see it as a slippery slope to Boston Dynamics taking over law enforcement duties in the future and fuck that shit.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Its like leash laws for dogs. They aren't there to make every dog always have to be on a leash. they are there for a means to ticket problem dog owners who can't control their dogs, and document that.

If you are aware enough to see the cop hiding behind the billboard and slow down, you aren't a problem. Hence why cops often don't pull people over who see them and slow down, and occasionally will just flash their blue and reds to get someone to slow down without pulling them over. Its also why places that don't use traffic tickets for revenue generation are awesome.

There are a lot of times you're safer if you hit the gas pedal. Like while swerving around an accident, deer, etc, hit the brakes approaching the swerve to slow down as much as possible, then floor it while you actually make the swerve to increase traction. If you're already close to the limit and this puts you a tiny bit over whats the harm? This is true with just taking corners on windy roads in general as well. Speed can fluctuate a bit. Cars have limiters well over 100mph not at like 55.

Also, it increases gas mileage and saves the planet to be able to speed going downhill if you can see there are no obstructions and there is an uphill immediately after. Not floor it, but if its rolling terrain with no other cars around in daylight and good weather you should not have to rely on engine braking or actually brake to slow down if there is an uphill immediately after that will just bleed your speed off anyways.

Not to mention the fact that on the small chance some crazy asshole starts chasing you with no provocation, you should be allowed to outrun them if you're in a better vehicle to do so, especially since they'll most likely be in a huge unstable pickup. I admit this is a small chance and most people are more likely to provoke some sort of road rage pissing contest race but still.

But really, none of this should need to be said, like most things, it needs to be demonstrated clearly why a limiting of freedoms and increase in bureaucracy is absolutely necessary. Not like, might maybe sort of make us safer or at least feel safer, but absolutely necessary.
    The German driver's license test does not have leroys possible answer anymore like they used to have in my days: "I accelerate and pass the dangerous situation more quickly"

Why? This seems absolutely logical, to leroy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220517-210143_Firefox.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	416690
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

There are a lot of times you're safer if you hit the gas pedal. Like while swerving around an accident, deer, etc, hit the brakes approaching the swerve to slow down as much as possible, then floor it while you actually make the swerve to increase traction. If you're already close to the limit and this puts you a tiny bit over whats the harm? This is true with just taking corners on windy roads in general as well. Speed can fluctuate a bit. Cars have limiters well over 100mph not at like 55.

I dunno, your list of law breaking you are doing when no cops are around seems like a good start.

20% reduction in traffic fatalities would be impressive if that’s what happens.

I’m not a perfect driver and would certainly get ticketed with my current driving behavior under some sort of big brother system, but in my area the amount of red light running, speeding, failure to yield to pedestrians and way to little enforcement in my mind justifies a different approach. More red light and speed cameras seems like low hanging fruit, but big brother might be a step to far.

Middle of nowhere MT? I don’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    They know your average speed if you're talking about distance/(exit time - enter time), not instantaneous except where they have cameras with radar, which is not usually every single point along the way.
    Thank you but yeah of course. They know when you went through the tolls and how far apart they are.

You really like strawman arguments. I'd like to believe you are smart enough to debate something other than the weakest possible version of someone's point, but evidently not.

Obviously theres a kid around there somewhere. That is a very different situation than the tire of a trailer that I saw lock up, burst into flames, and come off the vehicle and start rolling down the road. I was the closest behind it, everyone else behind me hit the brakes, but if I had, I would have had to contend with other cars and not just the burning wheel. So I hit the gas, got away from the other cars, and was able to easily predict the direction of the tire and miss it without even swerving.

Your example also doesn't work because that ball won't cause a wreck if you just run over it at low speed. There is no need to swerve or accelerate, just brake.

But ok yea, lets make things more controlled and less safe for the majority of people just to protect from the few complete idiots in the world. I mean I guess it makes sense from your perspective because you're one of those idiots as evidenced by the fact you can't say anything without a strawman, but the rest of us don't need it.

We could just make driver training better? In sweden it includes drifting in snow.

You really like strawman arguments. I'd like to believe you are smart enough to debate something other than the weakest possible version of someone's point, but evidently not.

Obviously theres a kid around there somewhere. That is a very different situation than the tire of a trailer that I saw lock up, burst into flames, and come off the vehicle and start rolling down the road. I was the closest behind it, everyone else behind me hit the brakes, but if I had, I would have had to contend with other cars and not just the burning wheel. So I hit the gas, got away from the other cars, and was able to easily predict the direction of the tire and miss it without even swerving.

Your example also doesn't work because that ball won't cause a wreck if you just run over it at low speed. There is no need to swerve or accelerate, just brake.

But ok yea, lets make things more controlled and less safe for the majority of people just to protect from the few complete idiots in the world. I mean I guess it makes sense from your perspective because you're one of those idiots as evidenced by the fact you can't say anything without a strawman, but the rest of us don't need it.

We could just make driver training better? In sweden it includes drifting in snow.
    There is an entire body of research on this topic and broadly, higher speeds are not safer. Your example reads like someone telling me about how they won’t wear seatbelts because somebody’s brothers sister in law survived in some edge case.

There is a litany of bad driving behavior that I see on a daily basis that is the direct result of a lack of enforcement of speed limits, red lights, and other basic safety laws of which knowledge of and adherence to are a basic requirement for a license. We have newer tools available to us, including automated enforcement that seem like a fairer and more comprehensive approach that might work.

I’m not a fan of big brother, but this might be something we look at if we can’t staff our traffic divisions as is the case where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    <snip>
    \In Europe, I have been passed on the right by too many vehicles traveling at least 260
    I'm pretty sure if you got passed on the right (esp if they passed you at 260), you may have been doing it wrong.

I've well over a million miles driven with a limiter, much of that time at the limit. Never an accident. I'm not saying there isn't a time a high powered vehicle couldn't accelerate away from something on the highway, but it would be exceedingly rare. Lower powered vehicles...meh.

The worst part of driving with a limiter is passing someone also with a limiter set slightly lower. Solve the problem by limiting trucks to the same lower speed.

I hate automated enforcement for the most part. In this country anyway because we refuse to regulate it and red light cameras have a dubious safety record. Speed cameras create clusterfucks and tailgating here in shithole Iowa and they greet out of staters with multiple tickets they have no idea how the got. More pop up everyday, especially in little towns on the edges of speed zones, revenue enhancement devices. In Spain the traffic cameras on the freeways are so well marked and prewarned you can't miss them - I am generally okay with well regulated that is well marked. I don't think any red light cameras are properly regulated. They would need to cut drivers slack for late braking, etc to prevent panic stopping and that is hard/impossible to do.

I like high speed limits. 80-90 mph is fine with me. I notice once the speed limit goes to 80 not many choose to go 85 but at 75 a lot of people go 80.

I think semi trucks going 80 mph is ridiculous for all sorts of reason.

I'd bet that speed, cell phones and alcohol (in that order) are the things that cause the most fatal crashes, so there is that
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Yeah. I'm not cool with the robocops. Once I was issued a ticket from a red light cam. I was stopped at a light, no right turn on red, waiting for the light to turn green so I could turn onto the next street. Thankfully I was paying attention and saw someone barreling up behind me with no signs of slowing down. There was nobody on the adjacent street with the green, so I gunned it and turned right to clear the path. Guy was hauling ass (maybe doing like 50) so I would've gotten completely creamed had I stayed there.

If a real policemen saw what I did, he would've used personal judgment and not pulled me over, but definitely the other guy. I had to fight it and won of course, but still annoying.

Robo-enforcement doesn't get to make judgment calls. I also got a bogus camera ticket from a trip to LA once. Those guys were dicks tho so I just paid and moved on with my life. Sucks that rental car companies pass on your info now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

As to the original point about the Autobahn, that sucks if true. If anything, AS IS, I think Germany sets the benchmark of what highway driving should be like. They let you haul ass in the passing lane, BUT you don't dare left lane camp. Cops there don't screw around for violations. BIG fines if you do that sort of thing, flip somebody off, tailgate, and other such a-hole driver moves.

Left land hogs have been the bane of my existence lately. Pass, then move back over. Thems the roolz. Not that freaking hard FFS. I am SO happy to have a zippy car again tho so I can finally pass with confidence and people can't pull the whole speed up right when you pass move effectively. Haha. Losers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Nah that was in Montgomery County, Maryland. Only jurisdiction in the state that had speed cams for a number of years, now I think Baltimore does too.

Just a hidden tax as you know. They paint the poles and cams green to blend in, come on. If it was about safety they'd be orange.

Yeah, that's it. A cop car with a dummy in the seat parked where people speed is safety/prevention. A camera is pure revenue.

BC used to have photo radar and it was great cuz there would be always a white astro mini van on the side of the road 100 kms from the nearest town, i'm not sure who they caught but it was a dead agivaway so just hit the brakes and no ticket
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Nah that was in Montgomery County, Maryland. Only jurisdiction in the state that had speed cams for a number of years, now I think Baltimore does too.

Just a hidden tax as you know. They paint the poles and cams green to blend in, come on. If it was about safety they'd be orange.
    Yep. It really brings out the snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, that's it. A cop car with a dummy in the seat parked where people speed is safety/prevention. A camera is pure revenue.

I think it hilarious our so called 'freedom' loving state embraces these nanny state barely regulated revenue enhancement cameras. Good for nothing blood sucking hypocrites.

I sure would like to see something done in my residential neighborhood. Folks go way too fast and they are not saving much time because not far between stop signs.