• Fuck no. ‘Merica and freedoms and shit

19 82.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Idaho?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    And Utah.

Driving in the left lane exclusively means I don’t have to make lane changes or deal with merging traffic so it’s safer.

^This is why I drive 75mph on the left shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^This is why I drive 75mph on the left shoulder.
    When do you accelerate with your M5??
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Never, I’m disciplined.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    then floor it while you actually make the swerve to increase traction.
    I’m just catching up, so I’m not sure if this has been addressed, but I’m pretty sure physics doesn’t work this way.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I’m just catching up, so I’m not sure if this has been addressed, but I’m pretty sure physics doesn’t work this way.
    You've never played around with accelerating in a corner?

You're creating a physicsman to harass leroy!
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Well, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

I mean, the 'floor it' part works better in a quick swerve, in a long tightening turn you'l build up too much speed, it also depends on how much power you have, but most people aren't driving supercars that will lose traction if you apply too much power. For typical passenger vehicles traction in a turn is increased if you apply some power. Braking while swerving will change the weigthing of the vechiles to the front inner wheel making it more likely to roll.

I thought everyone knew this? The swedish chick I was seeing for a bit years ago who was none too bright knew far more about driving physics than most Americans due to better driver training.

Aren't you a cop? I'm not talking shit but I figured they'd teach you guys this stuff so you wouldn't have to say pretty sure you'd be saying 'acording to my skid/track training....'

If you want to catch up, you better drive faster
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Those places are full of assholes then
    How is that different than anywhere else?

Those places tend to be low population density with great well mantained roads. 1-70 through Utah is a safe and relaxing pleasure to cruise at 85 in a decent vehicle these days.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Well, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
    Braking while swerving will change the weigthing of the vechiles to the front inner wheel making it more likely to roll.

Aren't you a cop? I'm not talking shit
    Take your time, we're just rounding up the popcorn. Go ahead...
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I sure would like to see something done in my residential neighborhood. Folks go way too fast and they are not saving much time because not far between stop signs.
    You can buy speed bumps online....
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I'd be very much in favor of reasonable limits and fair, competent enforcement. Right now we don't have either.
    The way we enforce speed limits is stupid anyway. They should all be 10-15 mph higher and *anything* over is a ticket. Do that and I'm fine with automated enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You can buy speed bumps online....The way we enforce speed limits is stupid anyway. They should all be 10-15 mph higher and *anything* over is a ticket. Do that and I'm fine with automated enforcement.
    You can't install them on public roads legally though can you? Can you get permission somehow?

I'm only suggesting that you could, not that you should.

Or that everyone should... its a fun thought though. I'm envisioning angry suburbanites all installing speedbumps in front of their house to protect the kids they can't keep out of the road, then cursing when their commute is speedbumps every 20 feet.

Aren't you a cop?

No. Pay better attention.

But I did have some instruction at VIR for motos years ago. I'm sure it's oversimplified, but the instructor said something to the effect of you have traction for braking, accelerating and cornering. And anytime you are doing two of the three you are robbing from the other. Maybe I misunderstood or it's motorcycle specific.

Edit: a google search and a few minutes of reading says that traction can be increased with acceleration in rear wheel drive cars in specific situations and short periods. Probably in the case of airborne flaming tires only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You can buy speed bumps online....The way we enforce speed limits is stupid anyway. They should all be 10-15 mph higher and *anything* over is a ticket. Do that and I'm fine with automated enforcement.
    You’d better hope your local municipality doesn’t adopt Vision Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Take your time, we're just rounding up the popcorn. Go ahead...
    Ahh, I should have said outer wheel obviously. You knew what I meant. The point is still valid. Brake and swerve and you're more likely to roll than accelerate and swerve. If you have to swerve, stomp the brakes to slow down, then hit the gas to actually swerve.

You have analysis paralysis, L’roy. 75mph is the optimal speed to drive anything through everything

Yeah speed bumps suck both to drive over and constantly listen to cars run over

Leroy you don’t have kids do you

You have analysis paralysis, L’roy. 75mph is the optimal speed to drive anything through everything
    Name:  Image1652911123.129644.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  18.3 KB

If it's entirely legal for some half blind 90 year old in an 8,000 lb clapped out piece of shit truck with bald tires and drum brakes to go 75, then I figure I should get a hall pass for 110 or so. But I keep it to 80 cause gas is spendy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Driving in the left lane exclusively means I don’t have to make lane changes or deal with merging traffic so it’s safer.
    You live in western WA?

Speed difference of vehicles on the road way is a contributing factor to accidents; vehicles that drive faster than average have a higher crash rate.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    You live in western WA?
    Maybe Wisconsin?