1 4.35%
  • Yes. For saaaaaftey

2 8.70%
  • Fuck no. ‘Merica and freedoms and shit

19 82.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    There is an entire body of research on this topic and broadly, higher speeds are not safer. Your example reads like someone telling me about how they won’t wear seatbelts because somebody’s brothers sister in law survived in some edge case.

There is a litany of bad driving behavior that I see on a daily basis that is the direct result of a lack of enforcement of speed limits, red lights, and other basic safety laws of which knowledge of and adherence to are a basic requirement for a license. We have newer tools available to us, including automated enforcement that seem like a fairer and more comprehensive approach that might work.

I’m not a fan of big brother, but this might be something we look at if we can’t staff our traffic divisions as is the case where I live.
    That was actually to subtle plaque, I should have quoted him. Your reply wasn't a strawman. Although My list also wasn't a list of ways I constantly brake the law, just times it might be safer to not be governed too low.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I loved it when Montana had no speed limit. I had a 5-series BMW with a 5MT and it made trips from my house in Missoula to my condo in Big Sky so much fun. Perfect car for that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    As an e39 M5 owner I understand.

It’s my forever car. If I win the lottery I might get a Lamborghini or Ferrari. But I will always keep the go kart

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    That was actually to subtle plaque, I should have quoted him. Your reply wasn't a strawman. Although My list also wasn't a list of ways I constantly brake the law, just times it might be safer to not be governed too low.
    You and your strawmen... Maybe I'm simply enjoying your verbose responses to Humor. Even with 17 I thought the answer in the Test was funny.

And ong said everything there is to say. You never accelerate to solve a dangerous Situation on the road. And your " roadrage dude is following me" or Meteor strike examples are just not cutting it.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

This worked in my hood until the guy moved.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0512.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	769.2 KB 
ID:	416726
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    You never accelerate to solve a dangerous Situation on the road.
    I've accelerated past shitty drivers many times.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    As an e39 M5 owner I understand.

It’s my forever car. If I win the lottery I might get a Lamborghini or Ferrari. But I will always keep the go kart
    I have an '06 550i with 92K that is just sitting in my garage. Every time I think about selling it, I waiver. I'll probably never sell it. I love that car.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Me me me me, I I I I is mostly what I hear reading this thread.

I'd be very much in favor of reasonable limits and fair, competent enforcement. Right now we don't have either.

You and your strawmen... Maybe I'm simply enjoying your verbose responses to Humor. Even with 17 I thought the answer in the Test was funny.

And ong said everything there is to say. You never accelerate to solve a dangerous Situation on the road. And your " roadrage dude is following me" or Meteor strike examples are just not cutting it.
    So your humor is just how bad you are at debating anything?

I guess that is kind of funny, but the jokes on you.

What about my flaming tire rolling down the freeway example? Cus a cop actually saw me accelerate and speed to deal with that one. USP was on the shoulder pulling someone else over already.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Speed limits and limiters

75 mph is a reasonable speed for modern vehicles. Anything faster than that then you’re an asshole. Anything slower than that then you’re an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I sure would like to see something done in my residential neighborhood. Folks go way too fast and they are not saving much time because not far between stop signs.
    You might consider ways to reduce the width of the road if you have the typical suburbia wide residential street. IE - park more stuff on the side of the road.

Also, many police departments have programs for moving mobile speed feedback signs around and running enhanced speed enforcement. Often that is the first step in a more aggressive speed reduction effort via street modifications.

Actually, I have accelerated to solve some shitty weather related issues. However, a speed limiter would not have affected anything because the few personal examples were well below any reasonable limit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    75 mph is a reasonable speed for modern vehicles. Anything faster than that then you’re an asshole. Anything slower than that then you’re an idiot.
    There are places with 80mph speed limits.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    There are places with 80mph speed limits.
    Those places are full of assholes then

Let's keep this to what we know: those places have legalized assholery. Their capacity for and quantity of assholes could be anything. For all you know, they have plenty of room for more.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

And when I rode a motorcycle, the ability to accelerate quickly definitely saved my life more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    My scooter HAD a restrictor to keep top speed at 30 mph... HAD LOL!

I think the bigger problem here is GPS monitoring.. Mericans don't want the gubbermint to know where their car is or has been. Won't fly without an option to turn off loocation services..
    But they already know. And all that goes with that. I think insurance companies are getting people to buy into the monitoring for rates. It’s its gonna get interesting when the police just grab your history from the computer when you get pulled over. It’s everything. Throttle position speed GeForce. Your car is already collecting everything.

Just Sayin
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The correct phrasing is “Anyone driving faster than me is an asshole, anyone driving slower than me is an idiot”

I drive 75mph with little exception.

I drive 75mph with little exception.
    School zones?

Fuck em

Jeez, this thread explains why I’m bumping into so many unnecessary backups on the thruway. Drive whatever speed you want- in the right lane. In the left lane, drive fast enough to pass decisively and then get back in the right lane. It’s easy. The poll results are encouraging though.

Idaho?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Jeez, this thread explains why I’m bumping into so many unnecessary backups on the thruway. Drive whatever speed you want- in the right lane. In the left lane, drive fast enough to pass decisively and then get back in the right lane. It’s easy. The poll results are encouraging though.
    Thank you! What a concept, huh? Left lane campers must be the same people who don't put away their shopping carts in parking lots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Idaho?

For real! Haha. Those guys are the WORST! Any time I was in the canyon driving back and forth to Bozeman and I was stuck behind some slow poke who utterly refused to use any one of the multiple turnouts, 90% chance the vehicle had Idaho plates. LMAO

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app