1 4.35%
  • Yes. For saaaaaftey

2 8.70%
  • Fuck no. ‘Merica and freedoms and shit

19 82.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Driving in the left lane exclusively means I don’t have to make lane changes or deal with merging traffic so it’s safer.
    Well shit, been a bit since one of you made me spit my beer

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Speed difference of vehicles on the road way is a contributing factor to accidents; vehicles that drive faster than average have a higher crash rate.
    I dunno. While I'm sure you're statistically correct, from experience, I still feel waaaay safer motoring on the German Autobahn than driving a "slow" US highway where Idaho plates are around, or in stop and go traffic on I-35, 70, 95, etc.

I don't care if a Porsche wants to barrel past me at Warp 9. If I'm chilling in the right lane, then nothing to worry about. But ALWAYS check your 6. You don't pass unless you can commit, drop the hammer, then GTF back over. I was renting a BMW 5 series wagon with a stick that could hang alright. Blinker usage is also absolutely mandatory (and enforced) there. Love it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Ahh, I should have said outer wheel obviously. You knew what I meant. The point is still valid. Brake and swerve and you're more likely to roll than accelerate and swerve. If you have to swerve, stomp the brakes to slow down, then hit the gas to actually swerve.
    You're going to roll the car if you spin into a ditch. Even most French cars can't roll over just from turning too hard. It's end-swapping you want to watch out for. Or just stick to 75.

You definitely don't have the skills to be using the gas pedal to balance a car through an emergency lane change maneuver, as your description makes clear. Transitions are about settling/not unsettling the vehicle.

To make an emergency 90 deg turn to avoid an accident. Stab the brakes/yank the wheel to the right. When the hood ornament is aimed at where you want to go release the brakes and touch the throttle. Worked with a 1980 Chevy Caprice with 300lbs in the trunk heading down into Ithaca.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Any vehicle in the last 10 years will have an ESC system likely more skilled than you. Especially if you are making blanket statements about vehicle dynamics without considering what vehicle, where.

Idaho really does have some of the worst drivers I’ve ever experienced. Never been scared driving anywhere except Idaho Falls at about 5pm on a weekday.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Any vehicle in the last 10 years will have an ESC system likely more skilled than you. Especially if you are making blanket statements about vehicle dynamics without considering what vehicle, where.
    where you been dude ? every redblooded amarican male can out brake the anti lock and out drive the ESC
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    where you been dude ? every redblooded amarican male can out brake the anti lock and out drive the ESC
    im having 90s ABS flashbacks (and at the beginning it was arguably true a good driver good outbrake abs, now, not so true)

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Also for the US, new cars should just jam cell phones. We'd all be safer.
    This x 1MIL

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    This x 1MIL

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    For real. Instead though, manufacturers are like "Here! Have a 100" touchscreen with Twitter, Netflix, and games!"

Then to compensate, they add in a bunch of nanny devices. Maybe I'm just being an old man yelling at clouds here, but I prefer my simple, old cars with no touchscreens, and manual transmissions. I don't even have a backup camera on anything. Every time I rent a new car, I find the combination of mirrors, cameras, and multiple screens to be MORE distracting than just using my mirrors. Perhaps I'm just not used to it, but judging by the increase in drivers' complete lack of awareness, maybe there's something to the increase in so much tech not helping driver skill. I think the safety aids have certainly prevented a TON of collisions for sure, but I think society has a whole has become worse at actually driving and sharing our roads and highways.

Speed limits and limiters

You’re definitely at old man yelling at clouds if you hate back up cameras. Hooking up a trailer and parallel parking are vastly improved.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You’re definitely at old man yelling at clouds if you hate back up cameras. Hooking up a trailer and parallel parking are vastly improved.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Lol. Didn't say I "hate" them. Just that I "prefer" the simpler, old stuff. And while I do see the value in a backup camera for just what you said, I also get some sick satisfaction in my L337 trailer and parallel parking skills. When I see a tiny spot downtown and whip my barge into there in 1 swift motion, shut it down, get out and see the perfect park. Love it. SO satisfying for some reason. No cameras required.

Last edited by MontuckyFried; 05-19-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    You're going to roll the car if you spin into a ditch. Even most French cars can't roll over just from turning too hard. It's end-swapping you want to watch out for. Or just stick to 75.

You definitely don't have the skills to be using the gas pedal to balance a car through an emergency lane change maneuver, as your description makes clear. Transitions are about settling/not unsettling the vehicle.
    You can absolutely roll a modern passenger vehicle without running off the road, especially an suv or truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIN8CyhYREM
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    <snip> Maybe I'm just being an old man yelling at clouds here,
    Precisely right. NTTAWWT.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Lol. Didn't say I "hate" them. Just that I "prefer" the simpler, old stuff. And while I do see the value in a backup camera for just what you said, I also get some sick satisfaction in my L337 trailer and parallel parking skills. When I see a tiny spot downtown and whip my barge into there in 1 swift motion, shut it down, get out and see the perfect park. Love it. SO satisfying for some reason. No cameras required.

You can absolutely roll a modern passenger vehicle without running off the road, especially an suv or truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIN8CyhYREM
    Oy. My bad assuming you'd see the humor. Nevermind. Just go practice your two-footed driving, I'm sure it will all work out.

Reread your post. Still don't see any humor just things that aren't true. If you enjoyed whatever humor is there then I suppose thats worth something and I'm glad for you.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Haha. Totally. Nobody else could GAF. Including my own wife when I go in for a high five for doing such a kick ass parking job. Still feel like a boss when I do it tho. Lol. I can't explain it. Just one of those little dad wins in life I guess. Like the perfect mow where your lawn looks like a baseball field, or when you get the perfect cut the first time when mitering boards.

Reread your post. Still don't see any humor just things that aren't true. If you enjoyed whatever humor is there then I suppose thats worth something and I'm glad for you.
    So the way that irony (including sarcasm) works is that the literal meaning of the phrase is the opposite of the actual meaning in context. For example, French cars don't actually get their own laws of physics (literal meaning) but I implied that they do (sarcastically). I'm not gonna go through the whole thing for you, but just FYI, mcphee was making a funny when he said he always drives 75, too.

For future reference, there are various types of sarcasm meters and irony detectors that you can buy, but don't be taken in by the ones that claim to use lithium batteries, they're dangerous and apt to die on you right when you need em. Old school coffee-powered analog is best if you can find one and know how to tune vacuum tubes. Good luck!

I detected some level of sarcasm, but the assertion that modern cars don't roll seemed to be the not sarcastic part. Shrug. The internets.

In all fairness french cars are stereotypically smaller with lower center of gravity.

Backup cameras with lines. The 2011 sienna display is small, hard to see and has no lines. The 2016 Highlander is much better. The 2017 Jetta had a nice one. While I used to get satisfaction from a good parking job the old fashioned way, fuck it. So much easier to lower the power side mirrors and use the camera, with the occasional look to make sure there isn't an overhead obstruction. You'll poke your window out, kid. My back and neck don't swivel like they used to.

Speed limits and limiters

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    but just FYI, mcphee was making a funny when he said he always drives 75, too.
    Whoa whoa whoa….Speak for yourself, my guy.

I’ve only rolled one vehicle and it was when I was going less than 75mph. Never again I told myself that day. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

I’ve only rolled one vehicle and it was when I was going less than 75mph. Never again I told myself that day. Never again.
    I'm not your guy, buddy.

I’m not your buddy, pal.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

I've only ever seen one vehicle roll, and it was at very slow speed, less than 20mph. Icy day in the Gallatin canyon, watching a guy in a pickup truck tap his brakes during a turn, skid, clip the snowbank with his front right corner while skidding sideways, and quickly rolled over the snowbank, rolling another coulple times down a short shallow hill. The snow really softened the impact and the vehicle looked ok, injuries seemed unlikely, but we still stopped to make sure hes ok at least. Guy crawls out and seems fine, and after a minute or two of wrestling with not wanting to be a dick but also wanting to make sure he knows what went wrong and won't repeat it, I humbly and politely say it might have been from using the brakes at the wrong time. Dude was a good sport, laughed at himself saying "oh I know" and admits he did the same thing with his last truck just a week ago, with virtually the same results. I hope there wasn't a third time.

Another time driving up LCC on a very snowy/icy day someone in the downbound lane locked up their brakes in a corner at very low speed and started to skid, but without rotating at all, just skidding straight towards me and the no guardrail bigass hill on the other side of me. I hit the gas, tires spun for just a split second then caught and I was able to accelerate just in time to get out of their way.

The went off the hill, but went off straight, not spinning, and burrowed into the 4 feet of fresh. Car wound up like 100 feet down the hill, but very quickly the two people were out of it signaling they were ok. That wreck closed the road, country club the rest of the day, and the icing on the cake was knowing a difference of mere inches would have had them clipping my back corner, sending us both off the road spinning and rolling and bouncing off each other. Who knows how bad that would have turned out. Thank God and nokian tires.