Hot Spots Anyone?

Anyone deal with foot hot spots successfully? Just last year I started to get hot spots under the balls of my feet on rides - coincidentally just turned 50. I run Time ATAC XC clipless pedals and think its due to the small surface area under the ball of my foot. I mostly notice it on the downhill when I'm off my saddle on long descents. Sounds like its pretty common as you get older and on longer rides.

I've tried a number of things:

1. Moved cleats all the way back.
    2. Custom Orthotics
    3. Updated to wider shoes with carbon soles - Lake brand.
    4. Metatarsal pads - feel great riding but feet are sore the next day. Maybe I just need to get used to them?

I have thought about moving to a clipless pedal with a platform (i.e Time Special 8, Crank Bros Mallet) to increase the surface area under my foot. But I don't think the sole will come in contact with the platform when clipped in. Flats are out of the question, I have knee issues and need to be able to rotate in my pedal stroke. I heard Tums may help, but not sure why that would be. I may try some exercises like One Legged Heel Rises.

Any other tips?

I'm not sure it'd cure hot spots, but my foot feels more supported on Speciale 8's than it does on ATAC's. You can adjust the pin height on the Speciale's to dial in how much contact your shoe is getting (too much contact = hard to clip out). This is also going to vary based on what shoes you're using - an XC style shoe (stiff sole with lugs glued onto it) probably isn't going to engage the platform as well as a skate style shoe with a flatter sole area.

You might also try experimenting with different sole stiffnesses. Carbon soled stiff shoes make my feet hurt after 2 hours or so, but I can go all day in some of the medium-stiff skate style shoes.

Interesting, I may give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm not sure it'd cure hot spots, but my foot feels more supported on Speciale 8's than it does on ATAC's.

I was getting a hotspot on the outside of the ball of my right foot. A couple layers of tape under the inside kind of made a slight wedge and evened out pressure for me.

So maybe a better insole or something to even out pressure around the hot spot?