Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looters Stealing Grapes

So my in-laws have a problem that looters are coming onto their property and stealing the grape vines from their garden. They started with digging up some of the cherry trees and taking those. Now the looters are moving onto the grape vines and other things.

I suggested we get them a trail camera shipped to the father-in-law to try and capture whoever is coming into the property while they aren’t there. I’ve seen them used in other places, but don’t know their quality well enough to determine if they could capture a well-defined face or license plate.

Father-in-law has some more immediate solutions, which I totally understand in the situation under martial law, but I don’t think I would use.

What would mags do? Any experience with trail cams for security purposes?

There are tons of relatively cheap security cameras available online. They'd probably need several of them - they'd need footage of the theft, and (more importantly) footage of the vehicle they're leaving in with an identifiable license plate. Otherwise they've just got some video of a random guy stealing some grapes that isn't really actionable.

And if they get that footage, they're also going to need a police department that gives a shit.

What about getting a Belgian Malinois?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What about getting a Caucasian Shepherd/Ovcharka?
    FIFY. Problem solved!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

If you get a dog you're knowingly putting that dog in a situation of higher risk to its safety. if you were scared of burglars, having a dog in your house that would bark to alert you, even just a little yappy dog, so that you could then grab a gun and call the cops, wouldn't be endangering the dog at all. Having one patrol your outside property when you know you already have intruders is risking getting it poisoned, possibly even just out of spite, IMO.

Camera is the most logical choice, but unfortunately retroactive in documenting things and not preventing them. It isn't mutually exclusive with just getting some guns and shooting them off your porch on a regular basis, if that is the kind of thing that can be done safely and legally. Signs on the property boundary saying warning active shooting range no trespassing would also be a good idea.

I would also say this is a weird problem and weird behavior. This feels like possible a neighbor feud and spite thing rather than just for monetary gain. I'd say go around and talk to the neighbors. Some might have had similar problems, or different problems but that would give them a hunch who it could be, and some might just act cagey and suspicious. If you have a feeling who it is, you can look for their civil and legal history and start building, if not a 'case' against them based on that, at least something the cops might give a shit about, or at least solidarity of different people who have been victimized by them which the cops might be more willing to listen to.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

that Leroy sure does know alot about having weird problems and exhibiting weird behaviors.

Name:  A4D370AD-545D-48DC-A82D-A635BB9979FD.jpeg
Views: 584
Size:  97.0 KB

I'm sure you're joking but booby traps even on your own property are completely illegal.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Yeah, no spring guns allowed.

But security cameras are the way to go. And I wouldn't try to hide them, if they are visible that may be enough to deter the looters.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, no spring guns allowed.
    Damnit, there goes my suggestion.

I'll PM Art to tell him not to bother either.
    I still call it The Jake.

I knew the very notion of a spring gun was like the Bmills bat signal!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I knew the very notion of a spring gun was like the Bmills bat signal!
    You would not believe how often I find myself saying, "this situation could really use a spring gun".
    I still call it The Jake.

Lots of times just having a harmless dog in the yard is enough to keep nogooders away.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I'm sure you're joking but booby traps even on your own property are completely illegal.
    So im guessing that landmines are out of the question?
    In with the 9.

What if they steal the security cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    Good question. Leroy?

What about one of those trail cameras that is hooked up to a cell provider that not only takes a picture but alerts you in real time, so it might give you enough time to call the cops out there?
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/outdo...-trail-camera/

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    So my in-laws have a problem that looters are coming onto their property and stealing the grape vines from their garden. They started with digging up some of the cherry trees and taking those. Now the looters are moving onto the grape vines and other things.

I suggested we get them a trail camera shipped to the father-in-law to try and capture whoever is coming into the property while they aren’t there. I’ve seen them used in other places, but don’t know their quality well enough to determine if they could capture a well-defined face or license plate.

Father-in-law has some more immediate solutions, which I totally understand in the situation under martial law, but I don’t think I would use.

What would mags do? Any experience with trail cams for security purposes?
    Wait, martial law? Where are your in-laws located?

Good question. Leroy?
    I think we have to listen to both sides first and try to overcome the cherry tree division caused by the Media.

I think I didn't get it: which country are we talking about with the martial law? I'm guessing Ukraine, but I don't think Video is a deterrent fir desperate people? I nein who steals cherry trees?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Somebody who is going to be hungry in the future? "I will steal these trees, plant and water them, and in 3 months, I feast!"

If it's Ukraine can't your in-laws just shoot the looters? Isn't that encouraged?

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Wait, martial law? Where are your in-laws located?
    I think he meant "marital law". Best way to deal with those lemon-stealing whores.

There are a few of those lying around. That’s more in line with what the FIL is thinking right now.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post

Good question. Leroy?
    This is also a valid concern. The family is worried they’ll just steal the camera. Good camouflage is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    I think he meant "marital law". Best way to deal with those lemon-stealing whores.
    We are dealing with both marital law and martial law here. (And yes this is in Ukraine.)

I’m open to suggestions on ways to deal with the lemon-stealing whores.