Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Does it really matter whether you ski 150m vertical and traverse out 20min in January or April?
    This is the land of the soul rider. Do not harsh ze vibe

easy explanation
    https://apnews.com/article/united-na...23ed74553f442d

Japan to loosen travel restrictions imposed during pandemic
    By MATT SEDENSKY
    6 minutes ago
    Prime Minister of Japan Fumio Kishida puts his mask on during a news conference on Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022 in New York. (AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)
    1 of 2
    Prime Minister of Japan Fumio Kishida puts his mask on during a news conference on Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022 in New York. (AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)
    NEW YORK (AP) — Japan’s strict border restrictions will be loosened next month, the prime minister announced Thursday, allowing tourists to easily enter for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

In a news conference at the foot of Central Park in New York, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said independent tourists would again be welcomed as of Oct. 11, not just those traveling with authorized groups.

A cap on the number of tourists who are granted entry — which has been gradually increased this year — will be nixed altogether. And visa requirements that were imposed in response to the pandemic will also be rescinded.

Japan’s tough COVID-19 restrictions have sent the number of visitors plummeting and its tourism industry reeling. Though foreign tourists were welcomed back in June after a pause of more than two years, the reopening has been confusing to many seeking to visit.

ADVERTISEMENT

A previous announcement billed as an easing of the group tour rule turned out, for many tourists, to be anything but — introducing a convoluted process requiring obtaining clearance via a Japanese travel agent, often with hefty fees or commissions attached.

Now, the country appears to be returning to normal, in time for some to book travel for Japan’s fall foliage. Kishida said a campaign aimed at bolstering the tourism industry would be rolled out offering discounts.

Until now, Japan persisted in pandemic travel rules that many other countries have long since dropped. Some tourists have shifted vacations to countries including South Korea and Thailand, which have had looser rules of late.

Kishida spoke on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly. In other remarks, he called for reform of the U.N. Security Council and dismissed any skepticism about Japan’s increased military spending, saying it remained a “peace-loving nation.”

He also said Japan would “boldly take necessary steps” to combat excessive fluctuation of the yen, which has dropped to its lowest level against the U.S. dollar in more than two decades.

been there when the exchange rate was in the 80's and in the 120's at today's rates you can have a very affordable high quality trip. I will say everyplace I have stayed has been great regardless of price.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    easy explanation
    https://apnews.com/article/united-na...23ed74553f442d

Japan to loosen travel restrictions imposed during pandemic
    By MATT SEDENSKY
    6 minutes ago
    1 of 2
    NEW YORK (AP) — Japan’s strict border restrictions will be loosened next month, the prime minister announced Thursday, allowing tourists to easily enter for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

In a news conference at the foot of Central Park in New York, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said independent tourists would again be welcomed as of Oct. 11, not just those traveling with authorized groups.

A cap on the number of tourists who are granted entry — which has been gradually increased this year — will be nixed altogether. And visa requirements that were imposed in response to the pandemic will also be rescinded.

Japan’s tough COVID-19 restrictions have sent the number of visitors plummeting and its tourism industry reeling. Though foreign tourists were welcomed back in June after a pause of more than two years, the reopening has been confusing to many seeking to visit.

ADVERTISEMENT

A previous announcement billed as an easing of the group tour rule turned out, for many tourists, to be anything but — introducing a convoluted process requiring obtaining clearance via a Japanese travel agent, often with hefty fees or commissions attached.

Now, the country appears to be returning to normal, in time for some to book travel for Japan’s fall foliage. Kishida said a campaign aimed at bolstering the tourism industry would be rolled out offering discounts.

Until now, Japan persisted in pandemic travel rules that many other countries have long since dropped. Some tourists have shifted vacations to countries including South Korea and Thailand, which have had looser rules of late.

Kishida spoke on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly. In other remarks, he called for reform of the U.N. Security Council and dismissed any skepticism about Japan’s increased military spending, saying it remained a “peace-loving nation.”

He also said Japan would “boldly take necessary steps” to combat excessive fluctuation of the yen, which has dropped to its lowest level against the U.S. dollar in more than two decades.

been there when the exchange rate was in the 80's and in the 120's at today's rates you can have a very affordable high quality trip. I will say everyplace I have stayed has been great regardless of price.
    Thanks for this update!
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales

Place I used to work at has sold all its hotel rooms for January since this recent border news was announced

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Place I used to work at has sold all its hotel rooms for January since this recent border news was announced
    That's great

And validates the relaxation of rules

Every citizen in Japan just got a message on their phone advising them to seek shelter

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ssile-l8tcy12e

Not everyone, only the northern prefectures. Nothing down in Tokyo. Missiles can't reach most of Honshu.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Hatsu Yuki / First Snow on Hokkaido

About normal for the Central Hokkaido mountains of Asahidake and Kurodake in the Daisetsuzan Range

Early for Mt Yotei in the Niseko Resort Area

Very early for An'nupuri home to the Niseko United Resorts

Will be gone and back a couple of times yet but great early signs

Difference in a couple of days

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjTptXzs0Yk/

Just got confirmation today, I’ll be over for two and a half weeks this year again!

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeCrudSkier View Post
    Not everyone, only the northern prefectures. Nothing down in Tokyo. Missiles can't reach most of Honshu.
    My pals in Kadena got the message

PSA: ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

I've got information, man. New shit has come to light:

Im going to show up w my camo cut offs, maga hat, open carry, fuck Biden shirt w 6 dwi's..

Should be good to go yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Im going to show up w my camo cut offs, maga hat, open carry, fuck Biden shirt w 6 dwi's..

Should be good to go yeah?
    yeah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...flage_clothing

K2 Snowboarding JAPAN TEAM EDIT [TATEYAMA]

The stoke machine cranking up right on schedule

If I wanted to go to Japan from the USA for a month in February... Is there any kind of work stay thing at a ski area? I don't need to get paid, just subsidize the trip somehow....

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

So I have 3 weeks free in Feb and have always dreamed of Japow here in New England. I have sat here for a few hours trying to research a trip and I just can't wrap my head around it all. After dropping a metric shit ton of dollars on a plane ticket (like 1500) I will need to keep it cheap. I would like to just stay in one place, maybe 2, the whole time. I prefer to get to know a place better rather than jump around. I also would love to not have a car and drive.
    I sprung for an Ikon and I can go to Lotte Arai which gets a mind-boggling 826" of annual snow and is only like 4 hours from tokyo. Even after 7 ikon days the lift tickets are only like $30 with the exchange rate. Says 80% of terrain is off-piste. Is that place good or is it super crowded being that close to a giant city?
    The other ikon place is niseko which is up north and seems bigger but also the 'vail' of japan??

I am just looking for some help narrowing my search. Traveling solo. I can't just stay at hotels and eat out for 3 weeks.

Finally, 2 years ago at Silverton I skied with some guys who usually did a big Japan trip every year but with Covid switched to Silverton. That trip sounded rad with a bunch of dudes in a house and every day they piled into a van and a Japanese guide brought them to what he thought was the best place that day. Any chance anyone here is a part of that crew and do you have room for one more. The guy I knew was a farmer from Oregon or Washington and he grew herbal remedies.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Cheapest option would be to base yourself in somewhere like Otaru, Asahikawa or Sapporo on Hokkaido

Low cost apartment rent for 3 weeks
    Shop in supermarkets and convenience stores
    Take public transport to the mountains

I skied Arai way back in the early 2000's when I lived there....a ton of snow but it can be wet. If it were me I would look to base out of the Hakuba area. I think just a little south of Arai is Myoko Kogen, I think they get a ton of snow, slightly more inland so drier. Arai is right on the coast - I think you can easily see the Ocean there - hence wet. When it is good - a super fun place.

It seems like going with a tour operator might work out well for you. The tours these guys have based off the Indy pass are ridiculously cheap.

https://www.japanskitours.com/

https://p25.zdusercontent.com/attach...I60I9VU-2nCVeQ

of course, you still have to add airfare to get there too whatever package you pick from these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    It seems like going with a tour operator might work out well for you. The tours these guys have based off the Indy pass are ridiculously cheap.

https://www.japanskitours.com/

https://p25.zdusercontent.com/attach...I60I9VU-2nCVeQ

of course, you still have to add airfare to get there too whatever package you pick from these guys.
    That looks sick. The 10 day includes everything but plane and Indy pass.
    2280 usd at current rates

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Anyone have any insight on flights? Prices keep going up up up.
    I'm struggling to wrap my head around 2k for flights for wife and I...we are both teachers so our timeframe is pretty limited.

My commercial airline pilot buddy said that flights are being added to accommodate the demand with Japan opening borders. May bring prices down some or at least hold sub $2000. I had tix last year for $1200… this year was $1800.

I found flights for about 1300 from Boston to Tokyo today. I didn't buy them but under 1500 there were plenty of options with 1 stop. There was a nonstop that was 2000

I <heart> hot tele-moms

prices are boucing right now. every time i check, there's a different price.