Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 311
  1. #176
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    3,017
    3 of the 4 Niseko United resorts are open with limited terrain (Hanazono on hold)

    Niseko Moiwa and Rusutsu too

    Kiroro on hold, Sapporo Kokusai open

    Absolutely dumping

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    3,017
    Anyone who's been has not regretted it, even when the weather hasn't played ball

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    3 of the 4 Niseko United resorts are open with limited terrain (Hanazono on hold)

    Niseko Moiwa and Rusutsu too

    Kiroro on hold, Sapporo Kokusai open

    Absolutely dumping
    Good news, my flight leaves Jan 10th. First to a topical island for five days but come mid Jan I will be slopeside in Niseko for 20 days. Eager to see whatís changed since 2019

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,658
    PBI > HND RT $1150.85 (Delta)

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    risin up to paradise...
    Posts
    316
    It looks like it's a slow start to the season, not unlike last year which ended up best in decades. Hoping for a change soon, we leave at the end of the month.

    What do you use for weather forecasts and beta? Any other resources to recommend?

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,302
    By the end of the month youíll be set. I dont know where ya found dry. Itís hammering in Niseko.

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    What do you use for weather forecasts and beta? Any other resources to recommend?
    https://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/japan

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    It looks like it's a slow start to the season, not unlike last year which ended up best in decades. Hoping for a change soon, we leave at the end of the month.

    What do you use for weather forecasts and beta? Any other resources to recommend?
    This is an earlier start than I've seen since I've been here for the past 4 years. Things are at least a week ahead of last year's schedule down in Honshu. Even when things open it takes 2-3 meters of snow to really fill in the trees and push the bamboo down to make the world class conditions that Japan is famous for. Above tree line is fine in December but that's not what makes Japan special or worth traveling to.

    Windy.com is my preferred forecasting tool, followed by snow-forecast.com. snowjapan.com is okay for the resort areas and just getting a feel for how the conditions are progressing through the season but it's not updated early enough to be of use when you're trying to figure out if a specific area is going to open or not due to snow/wind conditions. That's one of the biggest challenges when it's dumping, it just snowed 70cm last night but nobody is opening and you're trying to figure out who is going to open first or at all.

    Hakuba kicked off the season yesterday, with a couple of the southern resorts opening for a select few lifts and runs. They should be in much better shape by next weekend and the rest of the valley should be open before Christmas.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,658
    Below is all accurate.
    In my limited experience it's not worth getting antsy before 15 December. Most resorts are not open and snow depths are insufficient to make touring unbushwhacky. I recall my first autumn in Japan and being anxious to see the new gear in the retail stores. There was none displayed until November and ski shows were scheduled for early December. I guess the Japanese are more patient about the seasons than we westerners are by nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeCrudSkier View Post
    This is an earlier start than I've seen since I've been here for the past 4 years. Things are at least a week ahead of last year's schedule down in Honshu. Even when things open it takes 2-3 meters of snow to really fill in the trees and push the bamboo down to make the world class conditions that Japan is famous for. Above tree line is fine in December but that's not what makes Japan special or worth traveling to.

    Windy.com is my preferred forecasting tool, followed by snow-forecast.com. snowjapan.com is okay for the resort areas and just getting a feel for how the conditions are progressing through the season but it's not updated early enough to be of use when you're trying to figure out if a specific area is going to open or not due to snow/wind conditions. That's one of the biggest challenges when it's dumping, it just snowed 70cm last night but nobody is opening and you're trying to figure out who is going to open first or at all.

    Hakuba kicked off the season yesterday, with a couple of the southern resorts opening for a select few lifts and runs. They should be in much better shape by next weekend and the rest of the valley should be open before Christmas.

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Revelstoke; Rogers Pass
    Posts
    876
    I've found snow-forecast.com cross referenced with snowjapan.com to be reasonably effective. It's tough to get a decent read of what's going on. 2cms from snow-forecast for Furano translated to ~8cm in town which was ~40cm at the top of the hill. There's a lot of spatial variability due to geography and wind. The deepest day I've skied had ~20cm on my car at the onsen we were skiing out of located at the base of the mountain (see photo evidence). I think snow-forecast for nearby Furano called for 5cm?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04060.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	437695
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,658
    Pretty soon...(looks better in 1080, check settings)


  12. #187
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    28,475
    So I was looking thru some ski stuff and came upon one of them ski pass holders you strap to your arm from a Japan trip 5 yrs ago

    Nobody uses those thing in NA but in Japan the machines don't give a sticky backed tickets or them wire things like in NA so you need one of those goofy ticket holders

    if you got one take it with you or buy one in japan
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  13. #188
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    10
    Going to Rusutsu in early Feb and obsessively checking the snow reports, knowing that it has absolutely no bearing on what conditions will be like in 2 months.

    Bummed though to find out that skis at the only real rental option there max out at 180cm, which is probably too short for 6'3" 215lb me. I was hoping to demo something floatier than my Enforcer 94s, so I guess I'm buying some powder skis instead.

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by famouspotatoes View Post
    Going to Rusutsu in early Feb and obsessively checking the snow reports, knowing that it has absolutely no bearing on what conditions will be like in 2 months.

    Bummed though to find out that skis at the only real rental option there max out at 180cm, which is probably too short for 6'3" 215lb me. I was hoping to demo something floatier than my Enforcer 94s, so I guess I'm buying some powder skis instead.
    Contact these guys https://www.rhythmjapan.com/rentals/ who may have options for you seeing as their clientele is nearly all bogans and tradies. EVO owns this now so stock may be even better than before.
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 12-11-2022 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added URL

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montucky
    Posts
    1,857
    Try Rythm Niseko. Thereís a handful of other shops in that area that have large sizes too.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,302
    We have used winter1st quite a bit and have always gotten great equipment at better prices then stores in town. Nice folks to and they deliver and pick up

  17. #192
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Try Rythm Niseko. Thereís a handful of other shops in that area that have large sizes too.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks, maybe one of them could takkyubin them to my pension and save me a drive to Niseko.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    5,966
    Just FYI. Those of you interested in Japanese culture outside of skiing might like this blog by a guy I grew up with. He's an American who married a Japanese girl and lives in Tokyo. His book "Ten Thousand Lakes to the Rising Sun" is also a very interesting read, I thought. I don't know if I'll ever visit Japan, but his insights into Japanese culture and how it contrasts with how he grew up in America (Minnesota) are pretty humorous and entertaining as well as informative for people visiting the country.

    https://tokyoliving123.com/

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Out to sea
    Posts
    468
    Heading to Tokyo from New England.
    Spending a few days between Tokyo and Kyoto before heading to Hakuba and other regions between the 22nd and the 1st. Glad to see that it's snowing...anything is better than where we are now!

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,658
    PSA: Indy Passholders get 2 free days at each of 5 resorts in Tohoku with no blackout dates

    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmJ_G5GjUhB/

    https://www.indyskipass.com/resorts/japan-region/

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5
    Will be in Furano the first two weeks of January. Anyone know where I can fill up my Ortovox airbag canister? Canít fly with it full and no one Iíve spoken to knows a place with an air tank.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montucky
    Posts
    1,857
    Trees = force multipliers in avalanche accidents

    Japan = trees


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,049
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Trees = force multipliers in avalanche accidents

    Japan = trees


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You forgot to mention the ubiquitous V-shaped creek bed terrain traps

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,040

    22/23 Japan scene?

    April 4th, 2009 I dropped in and saw the entire forest floor crack. I then rode an avalanche for about 80-100 meters through a forest. I bounced off a few trees. Was completely blind and had zero control/contact with the stable surface.

    I was in a glass of milk.

    I just tried to keep my tips up, my hands out front, and my skis below me. I was a tennis ball in space.

    When it all stopped I was buried to my neck. I dug three feet down to my skis, dug them out. Then sat on them and smoked a bowl, and said- ďFuck skiing.Ē

    My wife was pregnant with my now 13yo daughter. I almost missed out on all of this. And her being home pregnant with no knowledge about where I was (because I was alone in the fucking forest during a blizzard) was the only thing that occupied my mind during the slide.

    Fuck skiing.

    Itís a love/hate relationship at this point.

    Not to be a downer, but youíre all talking avi gear for Japan.

    Shit happens in the forest, too. To the point that we remember the day.
    Last edited by gaijin; 12-16-2022 at 07:27 AM.

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    First trip to Japan in mid-January after having to cancel last winter. Gear question: is 106mm underfoot too small? I'm trying not to bring every pair of skis I own, but the only thing I've got that's wider is a 112mm touring ski (Pagodas). I'm willing to get a bigger alpine setup, but if I don't have to spend add'l $$$ an already expensive I'd prefer not to. Plus, my understanding is that the terrain in Hokkaido is more deep than steep, so maybe pagodas+hojis is sufficient?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •