Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Same here. While checking yesterday throughout the day the same flights ranged from $1800-$2900.

Pitje

Hello

Pretty sure that's not true. I use Google flights tracking when I'm going to buy desirable or overseas tickets and the price it shows always matches the airline website.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    Try checking on a VPN and private browser. Airline sites are designed to show more expensive prices the more you check.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    That is a myth. Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I use Google flights...
    I think Google Flights uses this software which was the go-to for travel agents. Very useful and yeah, no change in price when you return to the browser.

For cheaper flights, try looking out of west coast gateway cities - LAX, SEA, SFO, YVR. You can then buy a cheap domestic ticket to connect in. Bought tickets LAX-Tokyo for $550/pp. You can end up double paying checked bags, but may be cheaper.

ITA MATRIX SOFTWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I use Google flights...
    I think Google Flights uses this software which was the go-to for travel agents. Very useful and yeah, no change in price when you return to the browser.

EDIT: I neglected to post the link I was referring to:

https://oldmatrix.itasoftware.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sammybk View Post
    For cheaper flights, try looking out of west coast gateway cities - LAX, SEA, SFO, YVR. You can then buy a cheap domestic ticket to connect in. Bought tickets LAX-Tokyo for $550/pp. You can end up double paying checked bags, but may be cheaper.
    Know that if your connected flight on a different airline is late you are SOL

I am looking at flights. Flying into HND airport? Or will that be a pain in the but to get the trail to Aomori?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I am looking at flights. Flying into HND airport? Or will that be a pain in the but to get the trail to Aomori?

Less expensive and slightly faster train from HND.

Also direct flights from HND to AOJ. Infinitely simpler to fly into HND, rather than NRT. The Hotel Royal Park Haneda is worth every penny if you need/want to spend a night. Ship your bags to your destination via Yamato Transport. Shinkansen/trains are nice but JAL Explorer Pass is a fraction of the price
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 10-19-2022 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Links

I just booked and paid my domestic flight. All in with taxes, less than USD$40

How long does it take to get through Japanese customs and over to the domestic departures at Haneda? Can you make it in an hour? How much time would you give yourself to make sure that you don’t miss the connecting flight?

HANEDA TRANSFER

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    How long does it take to get through Japanese customs and over to the domestic departures at Haneda? Can you make it in an hour? How much time would you give yourself to make sure that you don’t miss the connecting flight?
    Took me 10 days last time because some douchebag at CVS didn't put the manner of collection for the COVID test on my negative result.

Tough to answer your question (too many variables) but one hour is super chancy. If you have no checked baggage and run the airport like OJ it might be possible if the shuttle bus rolls up as you get to the platform, no one is ahead of you and there are seats available. I'm not backing that horse.

Save yourself time and be ultra prepared:
    Download and register with the My SOS app. Directions HERE for Fast Track and My SOS (available at Google Play).

More on this HERE. Additional INFO.

Do not risk relying on CVS or some other nonce for proper paperwork documenting your COVID-negative status. Download an official COVID-19 Negative Test Result Certificate and have it filled out by the proceduralist.

Official Haneda Airport (HND) website.

Transferring between terminals at HND instructions. Note that construction could change process, check with airline.

Thanks, I’ve got that covid info sorted. Now I’m just trying to figure out the timing of various transport options. From what I’ve been reading other places it looks like an hour might be cutting it way too close.

what I was trying to figure out is how much time I should expect spend in customs, and then, how much time it actually takes to travel from the international terminal to the domestic terminal?

i’m figuring the amount of time it takes to get through customs is going to vary depending on how much of a fucking hippie they think I look like, but the amount of road time between the two terminals should be about the same, after I get through the intense scrutinies?

bags will definitely be checked. that’s kind of the whole point of this variation of the plan… looking for a way to not have to work a double set of skis plus boot bag on the old Shinkansen.

...looking for a way to not have to work a double set of skis plus boot bag on the old Shinkansen.
    Ship with Yamato Transport to your final destination. Astonishingly affordable. They have a shipping facility in the airport.

IIRC, actual ground time between terminals is 15 minutes. Customs time is not lengthy. They actually overstaff, are quite well-trained and service oriented, unlike in the USA.

Is that an option if the final destination is an RV?

as it is, it would be many hours longer to try to take the train than to do a direct transfer through haneda airport.

Is that an option if the final destination is an RV?
    Probably, if the RV is near a hotel or Yamato agency.

So I have 3 weeks free in Feb and have always dreamed of Japow here in New England. I have sat here for a few hours trying to research a trip and I just can't wrap my head around it all. After dropping a metric shit ton of dollars on a plane ticket (like 1500) I will need to keep it cheap. I would like to just stay in one place, maybe 2, the whole time. I prefer to get to know a place better rather than jump around. I also would love to not have a car and drive.
    I sprung for an Ikon and I can go to Lotte Arai which gets a mind-boggling 826" of annual snow and is only like 4 hours from tokyo. Even after 7 ikon days the lift tickets are only like $30 with the exchange rate. Says 80% of terrain is off-piste. Is that place good or is it super crowded being that close to a giant city?
    The other ikon place is niseko which is up north and seems bigger but also the 'vail' of japan??

I am just looking for some help narrowing my search. Traveling solo. I can't just stay at hotels and eat out for 3 weeks.
    If you need cheap you may need to embrace hostels? It'll be cheaper and they often have a shared kitchen for guests so you've got cooking options as well. Looks like Stoked Niseko is 6000Y/night including a basic breakfast. So that'd be just over $800 for the trip plus however much you spend on lunches/dinner/beers.

Thanks, I’ve got that covid info sorted. Now I’m just trying to figure out the timing of various transport options. From what I’ve been reading other places it looks like an hour might be cutting it way too close.

what I was trying to figure out is how much time I should expect spend in customs, and then, how much time it actually takes to travel from the international terminal to the domestic terminal?

i’m figuring the amount of time it takes to get through customs is going to vary depending on how much of a fucking hippie they think I look like, but the amount of road time between the two terminals should be about the same, after I get through the intense scrutinies?

bags will definitely be checked. that’s kind of the whole point of this variation of the plan… looking for a way to not have to work a double set of skis plus boot bag on the old Shinkansen.
    Maybe not an option for you, but we've decided as a group to spend 2 nights at the HND terminal hotel this winter before flying up to Sapporo. No worries about connection times, lost skis, etc. And a fun full day in Tokyo. Our last trip where we connected direct to Sapporo was fairly stressful with late flights, missed connections, and lost skis (and it takes 3 days for any of the delivery services to get anything to Hokkaido so lost skis are a major pain) and we're not eager to repeat that.

I'm headed to Sapporo & Niseko for the first time this winter. This thread has been a great help--thanks to everyone!

Anyone have recommendations for guides, cat, or heli operations in Niseko? We're looking for a couple of days of guided touring (or lift-assist) and maybe a cat or heli day. I have a couple of recs from friends (e.g. Whiteroom tours) but looking for other opinions.

EDIT: IIRC, only one outfit runs heli tours in Niseko. 160000 yen per person for 6 runs. Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    I'm headed to Sapporo & Niseko for the first time this winter. This thread has been a great help--thanks to everyone!

Anyone have recommendations for guides, cat, or heli operations in Niseko? We're looking for a couple of days of guided touring (or lift-assist) and maybe a cat or heli day. I have a couple of recs from friends (e.g. Whiteroom tours) but looking for other opinions.
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 10-23-2022 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks! Helpful!
    Quote Originally Posted by paige. View Post
    If you need cheap you may need to embrace hostels? It'll be cheaper and they often have a shared kitchen for guests so you've got cooking options as well. Looks like Stoked Niseko is 6000Y/night including a basic breakfast. So that'd be just over $800 for the trip plus however much you spend on lunches/dinner/beers.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by paige. View Post
    ...Looks like Stoked Niseko is 6000Y/night including a basic breakfast. So that'd be just over $800 for the trip plus however much you spend on lunches/dinner/beers.
    Looks like Stoked Niseko may be closed. No social media posts since 2018, and their Wordpress website is riddled with error messages. Quick check on Booking for Niseko lodging including breakfast (in February) is USD$52 (7748 yen).