Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Interesting. So cut a new run down the face below? What are the odds they will get 6+ days of good visibility in a two week window in February so they can host mens/womans DH/SG and the training runs? They didn't have the Super G event in 72.

Attachment 422137
    Yep

It's asking a lot but not unprecedented

Second half of February is often calm and dry

Before the snow returns in March

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Gonna be pretty sweet to finally have that part of the mountain opened up to skiing!
    Not sure what the legacy will be

Fingers crossed they will open it up

we have a deposit down on a week of guiding for january and have been in touch with the company recently about our options (push to 2024, money back, or go). Prior to the update yesterday/today our company was going to be an approved tour operator and we could go skiing, but we had to fly in and out on the days our tour started/ended. However, with the new update this is the latest I've received:

*tour operator* will be able to apply for an ERFS certificate for all our clients to be able to obtain a visa to enter Japan.
    Organised tours, private packages and independent individual itineraries will now meet the new visa requirements as long as they are booked through a licenced Japanese travel agent like *tour operator*.
    As part of every tour or package, the *tour operator* Guests Services team will need to provide on ground COVID support.
    If you are fully vaccinated you will not require a PCR test to enter Japan.

We're still trying to figure out if we want to go this January or not. One of the main selling points was time alone in Japan to explore the cities, pop into random izakayas, etc. Waiting on confirmation from the operator whether that would be allowed before and/or after our tour or not..sounds like yes, as long as we have them book our hotels for us?

Folks in Japan - are indoor things where they were pre-pandemic in the cities? bars, dining in restaurants, museums, etc? Would hate to go and be excited to explore all the little alleys of restaurants only to have them all be closed.

For those of us on the inside there is very little difference between pre and post pandemic. Everything for the most part is open and people are out and about. Some businesses didn't make it and have closed but that's world wide; plenty of new restaurants and bars have recently opened. The only difference between Tokyo and N. America/Europe is that everyone wears masks indoors and most people are still wearing them outdoors as well. That won't change anytime soon.

My understanding is that the tour operators have to agree to keep tabs on you during your stay in the country. When it first went into effect this summer people were complaining they couldn't even go into a 7-11 without someone acting as a chaperone. I have no idea if this has changed but I'd be very hesitant to pay a lot of money for what you're describing and expect to be given "time alone in Japan..." Set your expectations just above ski touring in N. Korea.

Most of the tourist operators are saying that this will be short lived and tourists will be welcome back by the winter. There is nothing backing this up at this time; it could happen or it may not. There's really no way to know. If your focus is just to ski then a tour group wouldn't be a bad idea but if you want any of the culture or freedom to explore then pushing to 2024 is a much safer option.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CoorsLight99 View Post
    Damn thanks for the tips here I saw some good flights over Thanksgiving and a Justin Beiber concert at Tokyo Dome that would have been fun to aim for.

I thought you just had to show the CDC card at immigration but sounds like there is more required.

In late 2019 Nov/Dec I was in CO and Tahoe and I swear that everyone I rode the lift with had a ski trip to Japan planned later that winter. At least 20 people. Obviously a bunch of them must have gotten their trips in.

I don't get on planes in the summer or fly at all May-Oct so if I went I'm sure there would be skiing but I'd probably rather go as a regular tourist first and then go back to ski.
    A lot of this people did go in Jan/Feb 2020 and experienced one of the lowest snow winters Japan had seen in decades.

The biggest unknown at the moment is which 'tour operators' will be sanctioned by the Japanese Government to offer holidays and organise visas for foreign tourists.

There are a number of businesses who are registered as 'tour operators' who are saying they can do everything for you without any official word or authorisation from the Government.

Caveat emptor / buyer beware

The only definite announcement is the relaxation of pre-arrival covid testing for triple vaccinated travelers from some countries from 07 September 2022

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...do-2022-08-24/

Jan-Fed 2020 Niseko snow data from SkiJapan.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 0.28.26.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	424948

Any changes to the COVID stuff coming up?
    "I'm looking pretty good, don't you think?" - the other says "watching you ski is like watching a retarded monkey rollerblade on a gravel road"

www.majesticheliski.com

19/20 sucked

Name:	IMG_2956.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	424958

Name:	IMG_2825.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	814.3 KB 
ID:	424959

Name:	IMG_0334.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	983.5 KB 
ID:	424961

Name:	IMG_2069.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	669.8 KB 
ID:	424964

Name:	IMG_3236.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	843.3 KB 
ID:	424966

Name:	IMG_3183.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	824.5 KB 
ID:	424968

Heh, amazing trip, skiing was phenomenal, culturally an amazing place to visit!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DJ2 View Post

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 0.28.26.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	424948
    I remember that week of Jan 6th - 12th or so. We were touring up the south side of Yotei and it got super warm, with tree bombs dropping left and right. birds were chirping and it felt like April. We fled north to the interior and found curiously cold and well preserved snow. We had to hunt a bit more but still skied pow just about every day.

What I've noticed over the past 15 or so years is an increasing frequency of once-rare warm fronts coming through the Niseko/Rusutsu region in January & February. That deterioration of the snow hurts conditions more than a few hundred less cm of snowfall during those months. Still, it ain't bad.

My worst season in Japan was better than all but a few in the USA

I have never had a good season in Japan. Because I've only ever been in the Tokyo airport going somewhere else in Asia. Next time, I am going to escape that airport and go skiing...in Japan
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    19/20 sucked

Name:	IMG_2956.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	424958

Name:	IMG_2825.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	814.3 KB 
ID:	424959

Name:	IMG_0334.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	983.5 KB 
ID:	424961

Name:	IMG_2069.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	669.8 KB 
ID:	424964

Name:	IMG_3236.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	843.3 KB 
ID:	424966

Name:	IMG_3183.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	824.5 KB 
ID:	424968

Heh, amazing trip, skiing was phenomenal, culturally an amazing place to visit!

Seconded! Went Feb 2020…

What I've noticed over the past 15 or so years is an increasing frequency of once-rare warm fronts coming through the Niseko/Rusutsu region in January & February. That deterioration of the snow hurts conditions more than a few hundred less cm of snowfall during those months. Still, it ain't bad.
    Frequent super deep snowfall can definitely bury crusts quick!

That's been my experience since 06/07 season

But speaking with longtime Japanese locals and visitors it was always thus

We’re forging ahead for this coming January 17-28… got bumped last year understandably. Just sent additional passport information to our tour company for them to start the process on their end with the Japanese Govt for our entry. You cannot apply for a Visa until 14 weeks prior to your desired entry into the country… that puts us at Mid-October. A lot can happen by Mid-October, or Mid-January. The bummer is that if conditions are all-time, I was going to stay an extra week on my own and try to dirtbag and hook up with some Mags in country. Not sure that will be possible

I appreciate everyone being positive. But I did not see new snow in 2020. It was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    ...I was going to stay an extra week on my own and try to dirtbag and hook up with some Mags in country. Not sure that will be possible
    If you manage it send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    If you manage it send me a PM
    Thanks! I appreciate it and surely will.

Low tide Japan = King tide Vermont

I have to agree...

Name:	_E7A1559.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	425206

that W20 in Japan...

Name:	_E7A1562.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	425207

was a complete...

Name:	_E7A1565.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	425208

waste of time

Name:	_E7A1571.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	425209

Thanks to Will for the photos

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    We’re forging ahead for this coming January 17-28… got bumped last year understandably. Just sent additional passport information to our tour company for them to start the process on their end with the Japanese Govt for our entry. You cannot apply for a Visa until 14 weeks prior to your desired entry into the country… that puts us at Mid-October. A lot can happen by Mid-October, or Mid-January. The bummer is that if conditions are all-time, I was going to stay an extra week on my own and try to dirtbag and hook up with some Mags in country. Not sure that will be possible
    Fingers crossed for you

Who are you going with?

No official list of Government approved tour operators yet

Be careful with the terms & conditions