Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The 80s Rule

And Tanya Donnelly and Kristin Hersh's solo albums are worth checking out if you're a fan.

Can't forget Belly either!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Punk and Hip Hop in the '80s was like oil and vinegar. Kind of like southern rock and hip hop. Most listened to one or the other, but not both. I kind of think that we would show up after pre-gaming at 11:30 or midnight each night, very buzzed, and I don't remember any opening acts
    My favorite bands in 1988 were the Pixies, Public Enemy, & Guns and Roses but I had different friend groups for each.

Punk and Hip Hop in the '80s was like oil and vinegar. Kind of like southern rock and hip hop. Most listened to one or the other, but not both.
    Not my experience. I remember when the albums in heavy rotation amongst my group of friends were Grand Master Flash Greatest Messages and Fear The Record. Then came the Beasties, when I saw them live it was with Murphy’s Law and Public Enemy. Punk and rap.
    It even crept into metal. Who can forget this cross over gem?

https://youtu.be/GiHdr4rWG98

That reminds me of what a good comic Sam Kinison was at that time. 80’s had some pretty great comedians. Steven Wright,Robin Williams, Eddy Murphy, George Carlin. SNL was even funny back then, and sometimes punk.

https://youtu.be/Frud5RFtTi0

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post
    Right? Those 4 bands are very foundational!

What about-

The Clash
    Black Flag
    The Vandals
    Blondie
    The Cramps
    Ramones
    Dead Boys
    Screeching Weasel
    Dead Kennedy
    Talking Heads
    Sonic Youth

What am I missing?
    Too me this list is a bit heavy on punk and a bit light on new wave and bands from the UK, but to each his own. I'd add some bands like New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Church, Bauhaus/Love and Rockets, The Cure...

I didn't really get into 'new wave' aka punk light. The sound was too soft and sanitized. It was too pop. Talking Heads, sure, that shit rocked. The other stuff you mentioned, no.

Punk and Hip Hop in the '80s was like oil and vinegar. Kind of like southern rock and hip hop. Most listened to one or the other, but not both. I kind of think that we would show up after pre-gaming at 11:30 or midnight each night, very buzzed, and I don't remember any opening acts
    Not my experience, as others have stated. I grew up in the Burlington, VT area so what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post

didjaknow a metric six pack is 42 beers eh?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Too me this list is a bit heavy on punk and a bit light on new wave and bands from the UK, but to each his own. I'd add some bands like New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Church, Bauhaus/Love and Rockets, The Cure...
    I think you and I have a lot of music in common.

I could list hundreds more bands I like that started (and some ended) in the 80s. Here's a few that I don't think have been mentioned:

New Model Army
    Sisters of Mercy
    Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
    Midnight Oil
    The Smithereens
    The Smiths
    REM
    Concrete Blonde
    Social Distortion
    The Waterboys
    Big Country
    The Pogues

And I don't think industrial has really come up in this thread yet, other than Ministry. So:

Nitzer Ebb
    Revolting Cocks
    Front 242 (on tour now)
    Front Line Assembly
    Skinny Puppy
    Cabaret Voltaire
    KMFDM
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    They got bigger than you thought. If there were skaters, there was Agent Orange. They are still around and playing in Burlington this fall.
    This sent me down an internet rabbit hole. They made an album in 96! Probably would've bought it had I known. And it's actually recorded well, unlike their first two albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Agent Orange’s “This is the voice” LP was in constant rotation in my college house in MN; they had wide distribution. Someone should remaster it; all the digital versions sound like shit.
    I only have it on vinyl, and honestly I think the mix is pretty bad. There's almost no bass, the drums are too loud with too much compression on the snare, the guitar tones are weak compared to LID, and everything is drenched with reverb. IMO it would take a lot of work to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I grew up in Upland and spent a lot of time in the pre80s at the Pipeline. But the mid 80s it had already kinda fallen out of favor and got bulldozed right before skateboarding really took off in the 90s. Went to school in Claremont, but don’t recall bands ever playing at the pipeline
    Were you the guy putting "red quarters" in the arcade games?

If you were a regular at the pipeline - especially in the early days - you have for sure met my aunt Jeanne. She was at the park most days, and was like a second mom to lots of skater kids. As for the bands, that was an arranged video shoot, but they might have had shows at some point. I was just a kid, but I'm pretty sure they never really made money, so they did what they could to get more customers. For instance, they didn't want bmx bikes, but eventually gave in. And my uncle still worked his regular job at the power company. The "cool aunt/uncle" is a cliche, but for me 100% true.

So I'm also assuming you skied Baldy?

Maximum Rock and Roll magazine is still around apparently, it was my go to for anything new or strange as a teenager.
    https://www.maximumrocknroll.com/about/

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

I could list hundreds more bands I like that started (and some ended) in the 80s. Here's a few that I don't think have been mentioned:

New Model Army
    Sisters of Mercy
    Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
    Midnight Oil
    The Smithereens
    The Smiths
    REM
    Concrete Blonde
    Social Distortion
    The Waterboys
    Big Country
    The Pogues

And I don't think industrial has really come up in this thread yet, other than Ministry. So:

Nitzer Ebb
    Revolting Cocks
    Front 242 (on tour now)
    Front Line Assembly
    Skinny Puppy
    Cabaret Voltaire
    KMFDM
    Ministry

https://youtu.be/imqvLToWH7k

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Loved these guys

And Tanya Donnelly and Kristin Hersh's solo albums are worth checking out if you're a fan.

Can't forget Belly either!
    Don’t forget the Breeders

Has anyone mentioned Violent Femmes?

New Model Army
    Sisters of Mercy
    Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
    Midnight Oil
    The Smithereens
    The Smiths
    REM
    Concrete Blonde
    Social Distortion
    The Waterboys
    Big Country
    The Pogues

Nitzer Ebb
    Revolting Cocks
    Front 242 (on tour now)
    Front Line Assembly
    Skinny Puppy
    Cabaret Voltaire
    KMFDM
    Name:  skinny-puppy.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  38.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I didn't really get into 'new wave' aka punk light. The sound was too soft and sanitized. It was too pop. Talking Heads, sure, that shit rocked. The other stuff you mentioned, no.
    Bauhaus is soft and sanitized? I also don't think of new wave as "punk light" at all. I think they are quite different musical genres, although describing "new wave" as a specific genre it all is a bit problematic since it spanned a pretty wide range of styles.

What is curious to me is that SiriusXM has a New Wave station but still doesn't have a Punk station.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    What is curious to me is that SiriusXM has a New Wave station but still doesn't have a Punk station.
    If Sirius had their "dark wave" show (the Sunday night one on Ch 33) as a full time station, it'd be like they took my CD collection and put it on shuffle.

A lot of the legit punks from the late 70s/early 80s crashed and burned hard so they are no longer with us. Those who survived likely have turned square and are now posers, but there's definitely money to be made off that segment. Punks were generally more intelligent than mainstream folks were.. Either went out in a blaze of glory or went square and are not killing it in the portfolio management hedge funds Wall Street game..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Are the Fungus and Faction channels still going? Fungus was older stuff and Faction was newer stuff IIRC.

Faction sucks. Any time I tune in it is pop garbage.

Looks like Faction Punk is channel 314. Just saved it on my phone app. Gonna look if the truck gets that station.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Don’t forget the Breeders

Has anyone mentioned Violent Femmes?
    You mean The Feederz?

There's a pretty funny thread where someone here had some kind of issue with Gordon Gano irl.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I also don't think of new wave as "punk light" at all. I think they are quite different musical genres, although describing "new wave" as a specific genre it all is a bit problematic since it spanned a pretty wide range of styles.
    In reference to my band in high school, someone stated "you guys are new wave. There's a girl in your band and she plays keyboards. Those are the rules"

One of my favs and core 80s memories is this classic. HUGE fan of the mags too...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app