Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Con artists

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    About halfway through Sneaky Pete....entertaining.

A lot of people like to claim they were SpecOps in our military. I don't call them out but ask a couple of questions that only people that have been in the game would answer even remotely correctly. When I am sure they are full of shit, I just ignore them.
    I worked with a stolen valor type a while ago, like some cons he’d actual experience (been in Vietnam on a PBR) but exaggerated for some reason. Also claimed he had a PHD (didn’t) and cycled theough jobs every year before they figured he was a fraud. Cut n pasted an article he got published in a tech industry trade pub

almost got taken by a shortcon guy in Colombo with an exgf, the way the guy worked the confidence part was really something- it’s acting. Ended up out an overpriced drink at a bar where the bar tender was probably getting kickbacks, but was worth it for the artistry

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    How about making fun of someones miscarriage?
    Yeah. I think what goes on is “let’s see how this person (or these people) react to this villain in their midst”, and as people get more and more hard-boiled to the shock of internet shit-talk, the provocation ratchets up in causticity and that’s where you end up.

So how about it?..well it sucks, but I think it’s consistent with the viewpoint that internet discussion is all a kind of prank, and that people who bring their real life into it are naive and people who get upset about it are the punchline.
    Again, the more I think about it, the more I see how the ugly aspects of this whole thing come from differing core concepts of how this is supposed to work.

It’s not unlike how some podcaster might think of his role as comedy and entertainment, while other people (listeners, reporters, politicisns..) see that role as a political leader or journalist or public information officer. If we all agree on one framework, no problem, but when approaches and expectations get mixed and mashed, people get super upset and the whole thing gets dramatic

Leroy, you were there for that. Dave provided an insight into pure narcissism meets internet. There was nothing to fall for. He does actually ski, and he's a breeder now. Him and Brett are living well with kids. Brett could ski too.

I just choose not to troll or breed. It's the fucking internet. DYOR and all that.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yeah. I think what goes on is “let’s see how this person (or these people) react to this villain in their midst”, and as people get more and more hard-boiled to the shock of internet shit-talk, the provocation ratchets up in causticity and that’s where you end up.
    I'd be an even deeper fool should I disagree.
    But that's about the reaction.

So how about it?..well it sucks, but I think it’s consistent with the viewpoint that internet discussion is all a kind of prank, and that people who bring their real life into it are naive and people who get upset about it are the punchline.
    Again, the more I think about it, the more I see how the ugly aspects of this whole thing come from differing core concepts of how this is supposed to work.
    Either 'on point' or 'duh'.

It’s not unlike how some podcaster might think of his role as comedy and entertainment, while other people (listeners, reporters, politicisns..) see that role as a political leader or journalist or public information officer. If we all agree on one framework, no problem, but when approaches and expectations get mixed and mashed, people get super upset and the whole thing gets dramatic
    I'm hoping that after some time, we all just get tired of the hysteria, the spontaneous dumb, of which I have excreted more than my fair share.
    I'm projecting, because I'm tired.

There's some balance to caring that I forget about. It's not all rabid vituperations, but it's not all I don't care.

I don't get upset by peoples choice in cars. clothes, food, styles. So for me, I'm getting to where all that tcposturing is like choosing colors for your kitchen.

It's not that I think lots of behavior is classless, but some, yeah. I do think some standard of conduct is appropriate.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

How about making fun of someones miscarriage?
    May I ask what you are referring to?

Not my old avatar right? I don't think it was you but someone messaged me about it years ago saying their wife had recently had a miscarriage and demanding I change it. I actually totally would have if they had asked remotely nicely but they started off on a fuck you for even having that note so I kept it out of spite. Even if they'd started on that note and sent a second message apologizing and asking remotely nicely I'm sure I would have. I'd never directly make fun of another's suffering.

I'm probably just being self centered I'm sure you're referencing something else.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Leroy, you were there for that. Dave provided an insight into pure narcissism meets internet. There was nothing to fall for. He does actually ski, and he's a breeder now. Him and Brett are living well with kids. Brett could ski too.

I just choose not to troll or breed. It's the fucking internet. DYOR and all that.
    I hope they're good dads. We all have our narcissism healthy and otherwise. Something about aliases to FIGHT with oneself instead of using them to kiss your own ass is a whole other level in my mind, and perhaps not just narcissism.

I guess you're right though, it doesn't really fit the "con man" theme, but it was an interesting life experience to be a spectator to.

In Aspen, one of the Marolt brothers invented many different aliases to write letters to the editor of the local paper, some of them arguing with each other, but it was done in a way that seemed less crazy and more meaning to create a dialogue for different issues. I can't remember how the truth came to light, I think someone else outed him, I don't think he just admitted it, but when it did come to light the paper just game him his own column, which I believe he still has to this day. Also not a con man, but interesting.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    May I ask what you are referring to?

Not my old avatar right? I don't think it was you but someone messaged me about it years ago saying their wife had recently had a miscarriage and demanding I change it. I actually totally would have if they had asked remotely nicely but they started off on a fuck you for even having that note so I kept it out of spite. Even if they'd started on that note and sent a second message apologizing and asking remotely nicely I'm sure I would have. I'd never directly make fun of another's suffering.

I'm probably just being self centered I'm sure you're referencing something else.
    Something else.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

“PM Rontele”
    (If you get it, you get it).
    On another note, it makes me downright angry that IAS isn’t analyzing and writing for a living.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

One of my wife’s websites got hacked. Some guy cracked her password and went in and changed almost all of her content to add a bunch of crazy good deals (too good to be true), left her name and business name at the top of the page, but redirected all contact information to himself. So he could make sales, collect the money, and not deliver. And then my wife would be blamed since it was her website with her name at the top.

We found out about this only because we got a call from someone else the hacker had done the same thing too. So, she’s been chasing this guy around the internet looking for other people like us that got hacked in the same way. Luckily, we were only compromised for a couple days before we were warned about it.

So my wife went in and changed her password and removed the content he added and is working on restoring the site. Luckily he wasn’t able to change the password himself.

But the kicker is now he is harassing my wife for the changes she made, and wants her to restore what changes he added and give him the new password! He’s texting her multiple times a day. I told her to keep all the texts as evidence, but not respond to him at all. At some point we may need to take this to the police.

Something else.
    Ahh, I gotcha. If you were the butt of that 'joke' then I'm sorry someone stooped to be such a shitstain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair 6 View Post
    I worked with a woman a few years ago who was a bad con artist. A supervisor hired her on their way out. She would lie and cheat constantly. Her work background made any sense, in the two years she was there we couldn't figure out what her past position(s) and work exp. were because she constantly lied. Thankfully she moved on. She sucked.

^ IAS - I watched her cheat during a pack test. She brought her own vest-questionable given her character, and when she thought no one was watching she would run.
    Oh man…

Pack test shenanigans…

Lol “we lost all the results, Sharon, so you have to retake it tomorrow”

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    One of my wife’s websites got hacked. Some guy cracked her password and went in and changed almost all of her content to add a bunch of crazy good deals (too good to be true), left her name and business name at the top of the page, but redirected all contact information to himself. So he could make sales, collect the money, and not deliver. And then my wife would be blamed since it was her website with her name at the top.

We found out about this only because we got a call from someone else the hacker had done the same thing too. So, she’s been chasing this guy around the internet looking for other people like us that got hacked in the same way. Luckily, we were only compromised for a couple days before we were warned about it.

So my wife went in and changed her password and removed the content he added and is working on restoring the site. Luckily he wasn’t able to change the password himself.

But the kicker is now he is harassing my wife for the changes she made, and wants her to restore what changes he added and give him the new password! He’s texting her multiple times a day. I told her to keep all the texts as evidence, but not respond to him at all. At some point we may need to take this to the police.
    You've probably already done this but if not--make a police report and I think you can also file a complaint with the FBI. This is identity theft, he's a criminal--although the fact that he keeps after her suggests not a very smart one. Maybe reporting to LE will send him to jail or at least she will have proof that she did it, should any of this guy's customers come after her.

Yea I'm not a calling the cops kind of guy at all, but there is no reason not to report that.

I know we should have, but my wife just deleted everything. The guy stopped pestering her after we mentioned the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    On another note, it makes me downright angry that IAS isn’t analyzing and writing for a living.
    One time in high school when the word “chode” was just getting going, my English class was working on Grapes of Wrath, and we had an assignment to write an extra chapter to insert into the book wherever. I wrote a whole thing after Noah Joad wanders off from the family to stay near the Colorado river where he ends up finding an early Las Vegas and changing his name to Noah Chode, and opening a whorehouse called Noah Chode’s Arc.
    My teacher made me read that out loud in front of the class, it was really something.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    You guys remember ISkiBC?

Got in all sorts of flame wars on here, and when the mods said they were going to out his aliases it drew criticism for over moderation, the lively humorous atmosphere the many obviously tongue in cheek aliases created was valued by many. Once they did out his aliases, though, it revealed a completely deranged amount of arguing with himself through aliases in a way that made no fucking sense, was not humorous at all, and was designed to deceive rather than entertain.
    Twitter in a nutshell, just multiply the number of accounts by a few million.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

+1. not angry - just believe i-as has ability.

It seems like so much work and effort goes into the con that its net negative.

Why not put that effort towards something positive?

I think people don't make sense sometimes. Like methheads willing to spend all day scrounging around to get a few bucks to get high that aren't willing to just work for someone else and have a boss.

I think many con artist types, and thieves too, get off on having power over someone else, and their own delusion as themselves as some sort of master criminal/manipulator.

I mean, no one really thinks being a serial killer is a smart life choice but people do that. I think con artists are often similar psychology, just more low key so.

Maybe try getting out of your own head?
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Great advice oh wise internet sage.

Quote Originally Posted by skiskiskiskiski View Post
    It seems like so much work and effort goes into the con that its net negative.

Why not put that effort towards something positive?
    Agree,it’s a mystery, but maybe it’s a version of Sunk Cost Fallacy. They make a little lie, it creates a positive outcome at least temporarily, and things spiral from there?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

The number of actual pathological liars is non-trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The number of actual pathological liars is non-trivial.
    You're making that up. Liar.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Exactly.